Stone Temple Pilots

Discussion in 'Side Projects' started by Stpilots98, May 23, 2013.

Stpilots98

Stpilots98 Active Member

Figured I'd start a thread about the band for some open discussion.

I've learned a lot about LP here and would like to give back. If anyone has any questions about their music/albums etc, just ask.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Did the fanbase have any kind of over-the-top reaction to Chester performing with Stone Temple Pilots back in 2001 or whatever?

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I have always wondered what the hell the end of the chorus on "Trippin" meant.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I have been through their discography yesterday while working!

I only knew "Core" + their more famous songs until now, which I really liked. Based on the listening session I had yesterday, Purple and Shangri-LA DEE DA (Wtf with this record's name? :lol:) sounds like they are great too. I wasn't even really concentrated on the music, but some sounds and songs have definitely catched my hears, I'll listen to those 2 records again for sure

Last edited: May 23, 2013
    Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Wait. There is a thread with the exact same name under Other Music, one of these has to go before we start discussion in full.

Hybrid

This thread seems like it has a better direction...

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Has STP's former singer said anything about this?

Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

Just something I came up with an hour ago, trying to examine it from both sets of fans' point of view:

http://spydistrict.com/2013/05/linkin-park-lease-out-a-singer/

Feel free to like, comment, retweet, share, whatever. Every view helps. Cheers. :)

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

The LPA wiki says Slash is the lead guitarist of STP from 2013 - present. Wut?

Hybrid

He probably doesn't care much seeing as he is currently playing shows with The Wildabouts featuring songs from "Purple" and "Core."

Slash is the lead guitarist for Velvet Revolver, another one of Scott Weiland's bands.

Stpilots98

Stpilots98 Active Member

Positive. Wonderful it's hard to hear Chester, but Dead and Bloated they both had megaphones at opposite parts of the stage to start. Awesome, gives me chills. I hope Chester uses the Megaphone, such a staple of Scott's. here is the vid

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EGBG_Do3MTI

Stpilots98

Stpilots98 Active Member

This album Tiny music which trippin' is on was at the height of Scott's drug use. When I say drug use I mean Heroin and Cocaine (now it's Alchohol). He would go back to LA from where they were recording (they rented a house in i believe Santa Monica) every couple days to score more drugs. He was constantly hiding in his room and closet from the rest of the band during the making of this record. It is my favorite record by STP with Shangri la a close second.
    Here is a vid where he talks about addiction and its affect on writing that album.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ltcSObocD8g
    Scott is much more into melodies than lyrical content. He always says the chorus is where he goes into the "meat and potatoes" of the song. It has no meaning, probably just went with the melody.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
    Stpilots98

Stpilots98 Active Member

He has not and it is very out of character for Scott not to use social media as an outlet. Just read about his rant on Axl Rose after he attacked Scott and VR's integrity.

The one thing is Scott usually rises above when his back is to the wall and people doubt him.

Hybrid

Haha! Thank you for explaining that! I kind of figured drugs had something to do with it.

Also, to avoid getting an infraction for double posting, you'll find a button with a quote marks and a plus sign in the bottom right of every post. That is our multiquote feature. Check as many posts as you like and then hit the "reply with quote" button. All of the quotes will then be there. :bradwink:

Stpilots98

Stpilots98 Active Member

I figured, but I was on my iPhone replying and couldn't find it.

Hybrid

No worries! Since you seem like an ok dude, I figured I'd let you know about it.

jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

Do you think Scott is actually ok with all of this? I noticed that he followed Chester on Twitter after the announcement

Stpilots98

Stpilots98 Active Member

I doubt he is ok with it since he basically said he was going to take legal action against them using the name Stone Temple Pilots. We shall see

Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

For the casual fan or the fan just starting to know STP, what can you recommend?

Also, just wanted to say that they just recruited a great guy for the band. Chester's going to make the band so happy, and hopefully he makes you guys happy as well. :)

Stpilots98

Stpilots98 Active Member

I'd start with the singles below. Big Empty started my obsession long ago lol.

Mainstream hits - Sex Type Thing, Wicked Garden, Plush, Creep, Vasoline, Interstate Love Song, Big Empty, Big Bang Baby, Lady Picture Show, Trippin' on a hole in a paper heart, Down, Sour Girl, Days of the Week, Wonderful, All in the suit that you wear, Between the lines, Cinnamon

Too Cool Queenie - is a good one and is about Courtney Love

I'm a big fan of 70's rock music Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc... so I gravitate more to the experimental stuff. Most of these songs I hated on first listen then became my favorite.

My top ten

1) Adhesive
    2) Hello it's Late
    3) And So I Know
    4) Glide
    5) Bi-Polar Bear
    6) Samba Nova
    7) Silvergun Superman
    8) Still Remains
    9) Piece of Pie
    10) Sin

Last edited: May 24, 2013