XFM Give Impressions on New LP Album

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

See that's where I disagree. I happen to think Rush are highly underrated in the "music writing" department. They're not all flair imho.

2. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Papercut: Very fast rapping and a unique and cool beat
    OSC: No rapping in it
    With you: Ok this MIGHT be a little similar to papercut
    POA: Structured very differently. It's mostly Chester with one phrase from Mike
    Crawling: Chester goes all out on the chorus and Mike again only has one phrase (but not in the intro like POA)
    Runaway: Mostly Chester with mike rapping in the bridge
    By Myself: Extremely heavy song. It's unique because it has basically 2 bridges (Mikes rapping than Chester and Mike going back and forth)
    In the End: Just a very catchy song with Chester singing a little more softly in the verse
    A Place for My head: Guitar riff is very unique and the bridge is only similar to OSC
    Forgotten: Only song that exclusively features Mike and Chester going back and forth
    Cure for the Itch: Instrumental
    Pushing me away: Softest song on the album

I could go on with Meteroa but I'll stop. The point is Hybrid Theory ISN'T the same song over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I love M2M, but HT has variety too! It's the greatest album to ever release IMO.

3. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

That's really just my opinion, to be honest. :lol: But I always thought the drumming on those songs, in particular (as well as on other songs on the album like "Little Things") showed best how the band had evolved and was showing off a little more technicality.

The mixes are much clearer on the "Minutes To Midnight" songs so you can hear the drums better and they stick out much better on that album than they did on previous ones, which is kind of why that stands out to me.

Also, though I can't really explain it, I love some of the song structures going on for some of the tracks, such as "Valentine's Day" and "Shadow Of The Day", and the way the band handle the sonic textures and how those textures shift and change - especially when it comes to guitars - is also a sign of the band getting better at what they do, in my opinion.

You've a point, yes. So, then, I think the sonic timbres are the main aspect of "Minutes To Midnight" that separates it from "Hybrid Theory" and "Meteora". It's a little more obvious on "Midnight", for instance, that the guitar tones differ between each song. :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  4. cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

That's your opinion mate , 2000 plays wtf, my favorite song maxed out at about 150-ish on my ipod. Judging that song came out in 2009 and your'e play count is 2000 dang bro you need 2 get some help man thts obession lol . :/

5. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

HAHA i know how that goes XD

6. cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

but 2000 plays man thats like 3-5 times a day, thats wrong man !!!:ohno:

7. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I KNOOOOW right? especially for New Divide haha. I really dislike that song

8. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

New Divide, had two good things going for it: the vocal layering in the 2nd verse, and the really nice breakdown at the bridge. That's about it. Otherwise the song sounded like What I've Done Part 2.

9. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

New Divide > What I've Done

lulz.

10. SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

He is talking about the structure of the song. Not the sound. All of it follows the same formula. Meteora even more so

11. cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

Got to be honest i hope the new album is farrr from New divide, it gets dull after a few plays, not like the stuff on the prev albums, had a cool concept though .

Yea, it does sound the same, the vid was cool also, Was listening 2 reanimation on my way 2 hard rock cafe 2day,, man i miss the old Lp!!!!!

12. SecondCityKids

I have that obvious overlayering on vocals in New Divide. I like that intro and breakdown though

13. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

No, he's right. There was quite a bit of sonic variation on "Hybrid Theory" and "Meteora" - in particular, they did all sorts of stuff with the interplay between Shinoda and Chester on vocals.

And I guess there's nothing wrong with using typical song structures, really. Just, a fair few songs on "Midnight" really tried to stepped away from typical intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-outro format, which was used almost exclusively on the first two albums -- perhaps they succeeded and perhaps not, but I liked that. A lot of elements of what we knew to be "Linkin Park music" were switched up on that album, and that's one of the most prominent ones.

14. SecondCityKids

I'm not saying anything wrong with it but they are the same type of formula

15. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

HOLY SHIT!!! It's funny you should say that. I've managed to decipher the next part of the message! All I did was stare at the message whilst playing Reanimation on my computer, and this happened! Reanimation 2 guys!!! IT'S FUCKING COMING!!!

[​IMG]

16. crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

lol To be fair, New Divide is on the playlist I listen to while working out.

17. cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

hahahahahahaa, i laugh @ the fools on itunes who buys the chali and Ntr\Mssion songs ,, oohh shit they got robbed< nt a racial slur :/

18. PFortyy

PFortyy Banned

hahahaahahahaahahahahahaha

19. ALivingGrudge

ALivingGrudge We are saints made of plaster.

No, I'm talking about the overall sound too. They had pretty much 3 types of songs before Minutes To Midnight: Mike songs, Chester songs, and the ones that prominently featured both. They all have the same guitar tone. They all mostly consist of Drop-D power chords from Brad with Phoenix not doing anything but copying Brad. There were barely any clean guitar tones at all. Almost no piano except for the In The End intro. The only exceptions are Breaking the Habit and Nobody's Listening.

Just listen to Thrice's discography and then try to tell me that old Linkin Park didn't all sound the same.

I love how important those albums were for my early teenage life, but I've moved on and I'm glad that I did.

Honestly, if you don't think all their old stuff sounds the same, then you don't have a varied enough music library. It's as simple as that.

20. cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

damn mike same album art too, Man the band has really gone downhill lmao

You must be a Stud muffin by now Eh !!!! hahahaha :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.