XBOX 2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by TeMpEsT, Jun 5, 2004.

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

Xbox 2: The Raw Facts

Over the past few weeks, it seems the world has been bombarded with conflicting press releases and announcements concerning the next console from Microsoft. We have put together this article that contains 100% confirmed official details on the Xbox 2 to help everyone understand the raw power of this machine.
    The Partnerships:

Partnerships are looking to be a clear display of Microsofts power. We take a look at the 3 biggest so far and tell you what exactly they mean for us gamers.

ATI:
    ATI are taking over from Nvidia, being one of the two Graphic card creating giants this is not a bad thing, and will be creating the Graphic card’s that will go into the Xbox 2. The new chip from ATI is aimed to be much faster then it’s up coming R420 chips for the PC.
    Which will be great for gamers because this will mean very polished and great looking graphics. Just imagine Doom 3, Half Life 2 and Far Cry, on steroids.

IBM:
    IBM are talking over from Intel, so we are going to have 3 IBM 64 – bit microprocessors in our Xbox 2’s, earlier versions of these chips are used in the G5 Power Mac systems which are high spec Apple Macs.
    What this means is power, and lots of it, one of these chips will be good for a high spec PC, but 3, just imagine it. These will make our gorgeous games run lag free and smooth like silk.

TSMC:
    TSMC is the largest semiconductor foundry in the world, manufacturing semiconductors for all its customers in a wide range of high-end markets. TSMC will manufacture system-on-chip (SOC) semiconductors for future versions of Microsoft's Xbox console. SOCs are highly specialized chips that integrate multiple electronic components required for a product on a single piece of silicon. The SOCs will be created by TSMC, using its Nexsys technology. Nexsys is the name that TSMC has given to its most advanced process technologies, including the 90-nanometer process that is currently in pilot production and its 65-nanometer process, which is still in development.
    Not to sure what this means yet though because we don’t know what nanometer process the Xbox 2 will go for, but if it was to use the 65-nanometer process, it would match the technology that Sony plans to use for production of its Cell microprocessor in its PS3.

Here are a few fan concepts I picked up from forums:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obviously fan concepts, because they're ugly as Hell and don't even look realistic.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

That was the worst article grammar-wise that I've ever read. :lol:

But when is the Xbox 2 projected to be released? Probably not until early 2006, I'm guessing?

TeMpEsT

I didn't write it, I swear. :chemist:

XBOX 2/NE/Next/FS/other will most likely be released in 2007, according to a bunch of different sites.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Is it going to be able to burn DVDs and what about new features of the systems?

TeMpEsT