Wretches & Kings - Out Now

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Oh it's the guy who posted RIP Linkin Park everywhere because he wanted Hybrid Theory and Meteora sounds. Now that his rap rock is back, he seems to be a fan again.

2. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

[youtube]VDW0ZnZxjn4[/youtube]

... Yeah, I kinda see what you mean. :lol:

3. Minus

He's talking about the headphones.

4. steve12

steve12 Well-Known Member

OMG now this is what i'm talking about! Much better than the catalyst

5. Shayan86

Shayan86 Well-Known Member

I like this song, the only part that I'm not quite fond of, is the "foot to the back and the side to side..." part, the rest of the song is really cool and Chester is amazing in the chorus.

6. dailycrumb

dailycrumb Active Member

see!
    It would have been cooler if they used that clip :p

I like Catalyst better becuase to me its more epic but this still sounds freaking awesome as well.
    I'm the sure the album will mix up the catalyst and wretches and kings sounds, as they are both very different :D ;);):D:D:D:D:D:awesome:
    WILLY WONKA

7. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

This song makes me wanna move and dance my hips, while at the same time bang my head and throw my body around. I've never had a song that could make me ever want to do that at the same time. Fucking sick, and I'm gonna go out of my way to see them live and be on the floor and GET FUCKED UP.

8. Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Oh what the fuck. Did they SERIOUSLY use that sample at the start?

THIS SAMPLE IS SO OVERUSED WHY DON'T THEY REALISE THIS?

Oh and song sucks in my opinion, but my opinion has nothing to do with prior mentioned points.

9. AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

:D i agree sir, i agree.

10. xxspuckxsorrisxx

xxspuckxsorrisxx Living Things

I wonder if theyll change it if its a single....

11. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Not sure what to think of those accents, other than that yeah it's alright.

12. dailycrumb

dailycrumb Active Member

ive never heard it before :p
    but i hate clips.
    its not the worst thing on earths, it makes me feel something... a beat and sound that i do like. but at same it is missing that TUNE, that tune that other stuff has had

13. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Someone else got sick of my b*tching and sent me a link already, but thank-you. :)

I don't expect to receive the email anymore, let's just hope my physical copy of "A Thousand Suns" doesn't go the same way

14. Joe

[youtube]z1wybt9mmeA[/youtube]

... holy shit, it seems that in the early demo's it was him!

15. SpootCaz

SpootCaz New Member

Ok, after reading through this entire thread, I wanted to give my opinion and also address what some other people have mentioned.

Let me first say that I've been listening to LP since Hybrid Theory was first announced and I love all the early stuff from HTEP up to Meteora. I'm about as mixed as a person can get on MTM, I love and hate it in equal parts. Don't get me wrong, I'm not stuck in the early days. I really respect them trying new things and mixing it up, but I still think MTM was a failed experiment, albiet with a few awesome songs.

The Catalyst and Wretches & Kings have me REALLY excited for the new album though. They're getting experimental with it while somehow retaining the mysterious "essence" or "soul" of LP music. I'm not sure how they're doing it, but it sounds great so far.

Now I don't want to go back though the thread to find the specific posts i'm talking about, but I wanted to try to give a different perspective on what some people think of the song.

Wretches & Kings is a very clever song, it sounds like a fun, bumping club track, but underneath that, this song is actually almost a call to arms against the forces that oppress us. Several people have said that Mike's rap in this seems predictable and elementary but I argue just the opposite. This is probably one of Mike's most incisive and effective raps on an LP album. Like I said, on the surface it seems like a simple club rap, with Mike getting the crowd into it, telling them to put their hands up and the like. When in fact, Mike is talking down to us. In this song, Mike represents our oppressors, the all powerful machine that we should not be okay with. We should want to throw our bodies into the gears of this machine to get it to stop. This is clear in lyrics like: "Get down! And obey every word." "Don't fight the power and nobody gets hurt." and "There ain't shit we don't run when the guns unload ."

Someone else in the thread also mentioned that that Mike and Chester's parts don't really sound like they go together. This is definitely intentional though. If Mike is taking on the role of the "Evil Machine," obviously Chester represents us, the "filthy animals", those of skin and bone, who are able to be hurt, sure, but have the screaming rage necessary to topple these Wretches & Kings who control our lives.

See? This is how you do political commentary in music. Sure, it's not exactly super subtle, but it's a HUGE step above the ham fisted-ness of songs like No More Sorrow and The Little Things Give You Away. (Two songs that I still love despite their blatant and cringe worthy promotion of super transparent political views.) I think the fact that some people are mistaking it for "elementary rap" shows thatit has succeeded in no being so agenda heavy, while still sneaking a point in there.

Now, obviously this is only about the lyrical content, feel how you want about how it actually sounds (which is bangin'), but give the lyrics a closer listen before you write it off as being "elementary."

16. dailycrumb

dailycrumb Active Member

:O omggggg
    They should not have changed it!!! Good job XD :awesome:

17. Minus

It'd be better with the boat speech.

18. Joe

Welcome to the LPA SpootCaz! Glad you joined! Your first post was awesome and I couldn't agree more. I love the roles Mike & Chester play, opposing each other. Back this up with the dirty, heavy, violent riff that carries them both along... the title and lyrics fit perfectly to the sound. Mike is the King, Chester is the Wretch. Such a diverse approach to the track that I don't think too many people take notice of.

People definitely need to pay attention to the details, because even though it seems like it's a typical rap / rock elementary club track to the typical bocker... Wretches & Kings offers so much more to anyone willing to go deeper.

19. Xodus112

Xodus112 Well-Known Member

You and I are on the EXACT same wavelength on this. I wrote a nearly identical post to this on the "TMN A Thousand Suns Review" thread. You've really got to sink your teeth into this song to get to the meat and meaning of it. This is one of their most clever songs in multiple ways. Looks like you and I are among the first to figure this out. lol

20. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I know Fear Factory used that sample (1998, brah!). I'm not sure about any others.

I kind of like the song, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.