Would you want marriage to be forever?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Glenn, Nov 16, 2004.

Jila

Jila Super Member LPA Super Member

Whoa, a little exaggeration there about murdered spouses. That's what marriage is: a vow of eternity shared between two people. If you're not ready to marry, don't do it. You can't go into marriage with a half-ass attitude thinking, "I think I'll spend forever with her/him." [/b][/quote]
    what, you think its never happened before? it has.

and even if people take a vow, it doesnt necessarily mean theyll stick to it, whether or not its the "right thing to do".

Maëlle

Maëlle I've seen it all

Exactly, it's supposed to be forever. If there is a man or woman who can make marriage last until death (Until death do us part) then i will admire them greatly.[/b][/quote]
    Well, there are plenty of examples if you look back at our grandparents' generation, on the other hand, if you want an example from our parents' generation, either you'll be disapointed, either it's too soon to have answers...

Vampire

Vampire Banned

what, you think its never happened before? it has.

and even if people take a vow, it doesnt necessarily mean theyll stick to it, whether or not its the "right thing to do". [/b][/quote]
    Um, do you even know what vows are? They're eternal promises. They're meant to last all their lives. If they're unsure, they shouldn't go ahead with it.

I didn't say those type of things don't happen, but meteorites might fall on people during a marriage too but I didn't bring up that exaggeration.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Um, do you even know what vows are? They're eternal promises. They're meant to last all their lives. If they're unsure, they shouldn't go ahead with it.

I didn't say those type of things don't happen, but meteorites might fall on people during a marriage too but I didn't bring up that exaggeration. [/b][/quote]
    All I'm saying is that some people have sick enough minds to think that an option to end a relationship is by killing the person. It might increase if divorce isn't an option.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

But how can you really know? You may think you know the person you're getting married to, you may think you're ready to be with them forever, but can you honestly say that you know it'll still be a good marriage in 10 years, let alone 30?

Going by your logic, people shouldn't get married unless they're quite near the deathbed. But does that work either? Not in all states. I know two people, now in their 40s, who lived together for many years and had 6 kids, but never got married. Fairly recently he decided to leave her, and guess what? Since everything is under his name, under Virginia law everything is his. A lot of states consider you "married" after 5 years of living together, but some (like VA) don't. Thankfully the woman worked, so she has enough money to rent an apartment but her car? Under his name. So she lost it. He's fighting for custody of their kids, saying that he should have them because he's the one with the house, money, etc.

My point is, if these two people had gotten married their assets would have been split more fairly when they separated. But if marriage were forever, they wouldn't have been able to leave each other, therefor would have remained unhappy.

Vampire

Vampire Banned

What the fuck are you talking about?

ANYWHO. Of course NOT ALL marriages last forever. And anywho, when it comes to assets: that's why you buy your shit on your credit card so if a divorce comes, you take your shit without heistation.

goso88

goso88 Well-Known Member

I think Whimsky was referring to the fact that just because you make a vow doesn't mean its going to last forever, even though its supposed to be that way. And even if you're SURE about it on your marriage day, things sometimes change for the worst and you become less and less sure ten years later...leading to a divorce, despite your certainity that it would never happen 10 years ago. 10 years is a long time for things to change, vow or no vow. So therefore, the only way to be absolutely sure that you won't severe your vow till death do you part is by making the vow on your deathbed; that way you'll only be married for a couple of hours or days, which defintely gives you a lot less time to change your mind about the marriage.

Vampire

Vampire Banned

Ahh, I get ya' now.

A vow is supposed to last forever but of course things don't turn out that way. Definitely agree. I am not condemning divorce as you can tell from my latter post. If things get sour things get sour. It happens. We can't all have magical fairytale weddings.

Jila

what the fuck are you talking about?

1. no shit i know what vows are. just because you make a promise, doesnt mean you will keep it at any cost.

2. when divorce wasnt allowed, men would kill their wives to be with someone else. like that king who kept killing his wives because they wouldnt give birth to a male (but of course that was long before we found out it depends on the male chomosome, but thats a different story).

Vampire

Vampire Banned

nice job on making point #2 void. you notice the contradiction in there right? hahaha.

anywho, i think i misunderstood this topic. i'm for divorce if you're asking that.

Jila

your argument would be much more credible if you actually said why so at least i could prove you wrong. hahaha.

Vampire

Vampire Banned

You made a typo. You meant to put "wish to prove you wrong."

Jila

aww, whats wrong? you cant actually tell me your misinformed reason as to why you believe i contradicted myself?

:lol:

Vampire

Vampire Banned

You make this too easy, buddy:

PyRoMaNiaK:
    2. when divorce wasnt allowed, men would kill their wives to be with someone else. like that king who kept killing his wives because they wouldnt give birth to a male.
    CONTRADICTION:
    (but of course that was long before we found out it depends on the male chomosome, but thats a different story).
    therefore, that entire point is void! you cancelled it out by saying that last part. GENIUS!

Subliminal

Subliminal Member

There's the hopelessly romantic girl-adoring part of me that wants to say "Of course!" but I relent because the other part of me, the dark, brooding, tempermental part says "It'd never work." I can see reasons for both sides, I mean, you have people who believe Marriage to be a holy thing, like communion or prayer. There's others who see it as an institute of the state, and only that. It really comes down to your perception of the word, i guess. In my case, I hope that someday I will meet the person I can have 100% love for and with, and stay with them forever, but if not, and things do go sour, I don't want to become like my father and stay hitched to a woman who cares nothing for me, my feelings, or my beliefs.

Jila

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that has absolutely nothing to do with contradicting myself. i was simply stating facts, that this is what was going on back then, when they did not know that males carried the x or y chromosome that decides whether or not the baby will be a boy or a girl. first of all, it really has nothing to do with this conversation, therefore, making it completely irrelevant to contradiction and the only reason why i stated it is to show how ignorant people can be. second, nice job making your statement void. you in no way explained how exactly i cancelled out what i said. oh, thats right, because you have no reason. its been like what? 3 posts already and you have yet to bring a relevant point. good job.

seriously, what are you, 12 years old? i think im losing I.Q. points just having a conversation with you.

Vampire

Vampire Banned

Well I'm officially backing out of this one. You're way more mature than me.

goso88

goso88 Well-Known Member

Whoa Pyro, lets not get personal and start insulting other people's IQs. Anybody can do that; its all too easy. But it adds nothing to your argumet; in fact, it detracts from it. Even if you can't be courteous (and believe me, I know how hard that is when you're participating in a heated debate), try to leave out unecessary insults like that. I mean, really, what was the point of that other than to demean Vampire?

And, on the contrary, while I don't agree with all of Vampire's views, I think he argued his point pretty intelligently.

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

If marriage lasted forever (or was supposed to), I think we'd get a lot more spouses like King Henry VIII. Divorced, beheaded, died; divorced, beheaded, survived.

People and relationships change. Marriage should change with them.

Jila

psh, when did i insult his I.Q.? " i think im losing I.Q. points just having a conversation with you." is what i said, and no, i did not imply that he has a low I.Q. and i would really appreciate you not telling me what i should or should not do especially with a conversation that does not even pertain to you. kthx.