What song has Chester's widest vocal range?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Delicious Dave, Oct 9, 2012.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

That song is just over an octaves in terms of range for Chester, I believe, taking the verses into account as well

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
    ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

As far as range goes, definitely Walking in Circles. Go listen to the ending of that song, with all the different vocal layers. Crazy. And definitely Condemned as far as screaming goes.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Well...let's do some process of elimination here. First off, a list of some of the songs where Chester hits the highest notes he's done on record, as his widest range is most likely found in one of those songs (note: I'm not counting the "pitch" of some of his screaming parts, as while they can be substantially higher than his singing notes, given that Chester uses the fry screaming technique, they're more like "overtones" than actual "singing notes"):

In My Remains - high D (the highest "like an army, falling one by one by one" harmony near the end of the bridge)
    I'll Be Gone - high C (the "I'll" at the beginning of the final "I'll be gone" at the end of the song)
    The Messenger - high C (numerous points, such as the word "keeps" on "love keeps us kind")
    The Little Things Give You Away - high C (highest note of the "oh oh" part at the end)
    Robot Boy - high C (certain parts of the ad-lib vocals during the synth solo/outro)
    Lost in the Echo - high B (highest "oh-oh" backing harmony part in the final chorus)
    Given Up - high B (numerous parts of the chorus)
    Into You - high B (high harmony during the heavier chorus parts)
    New Divide - high B (numerous parts of the chorus)
    Waiting For the End - high B (the long sustained "holding on to what I haven't...GOOOOOOOT" near the end)

I might be missing a few, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. So now that we've established his high end, it's easy to eliminate several of these songs based on how low he goes in them. In My Remains may have the highest note Chester's ever hit on record, but it never really drops down to his chest voice in any of the lower parts. The same can be said about I'll Be Gone, The Little Things Give You Away, Robot Boy, Lost in the Echo, and New Divide. The Messenger is ALL really high-register stuff, so you can rule that one out as well. The 3 that really reach to BOTH extremes of Chester's voice are Into You, New Divide, and Waiting For the End. Barring anything that's completely slipping my mind, the answer to this thread's original question is likely one of those 3 tracks (I don't know off hand how low Chester goes in each of those songs though).

Then again...Chester did some CRAZY shit with his voice way back in the Grey Daze days. :lol: I haven't listened to any of that stuff in ages, but I suppose there could be a "wild card" candidate from that material as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2012
    Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

B12

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Just find each songs ambitus, then you will know. But since i don't have any note papers with LP's records, i probaly can't do it.

lpxerotheoryfan

lpxerotheoryfan Can you do it like this?

Ahhh, I just remembered the song "In Time" when he was in Grey Daze. That note he hits when he screams "pain, so much pain" is pretty high, and pretty damn amazing!

TVTV

TVTV Active Member

"I'll Be Gone".

I don't know if this song has his widest vocal range, but I'd say it's his best or one of his best vocal performances besides "The Little Things Give You Away" or "Waiting for the End".

Fragmuffin

Fragmuffin I wish my friends were bubbles, bubbles...

The Messenger and TLTGYA both come to mind when I think of powerful singing by Chester, just because they sound so raw and pack such a punch.

wakadoodle

wakadoodle Banned

Lol NoN, never got to hear the whole DBS..

Gravity_LP

Gravity_LP Well-Known Member

rolling in the deep

Fanman

Fanman "LIKE AN ARMY.. FALLING... ONE BY.. ONE BY.. ONE"

From the Inside & Blackout ...
    I think these songs have variety types of chester's vocals.. wide range of variations..

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I believe you mean Out of Ashes?
    Then don't act like you heard it.

Arjun

Arjun Comin' at you from every side!!!!

definitely given up. the screams and chorus are totally wild.