What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

The Tenant (1976) - 2.5/5 - First one hour dragged a lot! The second hour was very weird and creepy.

2. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Blade Runner (1982)

I watched the original theatrical cut for the first time. The narration is dull and too on the nose, which is a shame because it undermines Harrison Ford's great performance. The ending in this cut is equally unwarranted. It was so obviously tacked on to appease clueless film executives that it takes you out of the movie. Those complaints aside, this is still a science-fiction classic -- unique in both aesthetics and pacing. Prime Ridley Scott cannot be fucked with. Watch either of the director's cuts if you can. Both ditch the narration and epilogue.

3. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

"The Kite Runner (2007)": The movie takes place in Afghanistan and has some really interesting settings. The story revolves around real life events and really draws you in. 4/5

"Jobs (2013)": Ashton Kutcher did an awesome job (get it?). Much better than I thought he would. Turns out he looks pretty damn similar to Steve Jobs (and of course he's a good actor). Besides that, the movie was more "Apple and Jobs" than "Jobs". It seemed like it skimmed pretty major parts of his life in favor of telling the tale of Apple's history. I didn't entirely mind and I do understand that there are time restraints, but it was kind of weird when, what felt like a few weeks has passed, a wife and kid end up in his house and he's wearing a wedding ring. Overall, I enjoyed it. It was a cool movie that you might need to have known a few details prior to fill in the blanks. 3/5

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  4. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Scott Pilgrim vs The World - 10/10

5. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Fuck yeah! That movies rocks!

Edit:

Prometheus, A. What prequel?

Pacific Rim, B+. It was great, but I feel as though there was so much more potential. Fuck yeah Striker Eureka!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  6. BrandonR24

BrandonR24 Well-Known Member

Kick-Ass 2. Not as good as the first, but still loved the whole movie! Great sequel in my opinion, director played it really safe in my opinion. 8/10

7. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

The Sitter - 4/10

8. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Jobs 7.5/10
    It was an enjoyable experience seeing Steve's history put into a visual form. Having read the biography and viewing Jobs as an idol, the film was a decent portrayal of Steve for any average person who may not know about Steve Jobs very much. However, having read the biography, the film misses on much of the reality of Steve Jobs was and how he was more than mere businessman.

Hero 10/10
    Watched this movie again. It's been a while but man is it beautiful and heart tearing. There's just so many layers to the art in that film. It

9. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

The Spectacular Now - 5/5

I once saw an interview with Aaron Paul (he's not in this movie) where he talked about having dated an alcoholic. He described that, while her addiction never completely rubbed off on him, he noticed after he broke up with her that he had been drinking a lot more while he was with her. The Spectacular Now demonstrates this vicious cycle of addiction and self-harming behavior spreading from person to person, without necessarily glorifying or demonizing the people involved. Not every toxic relationship looks bad on the outside. Sometimes people that are bad for you are people you love, and who love you back. This film puts these ideas into the story of two high school seniors who fall in love. At the beginning, it looks like it's going to be another popular guy meets dorky girl love story, but it slowly turns into something much darker. You should see it.

10. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Sounds like the movie Smashed that actually starred Aaron Paul.

11. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Cat got your tongue? :lol:

12. travz21

Kick-Ass 2 - 7/10

Not enough Hit Girl. Didn't have the same captivating feel as the first movie. Some really, really stupid moments and writing. But it was still enjoyable. Chloe is a babe and I'm doing my best to not feel like a creep.

13. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Only 711 days left :awesome: :pedobear:

14. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) - 3.5/5 - I enjoyed it quite a bit! I donno why it got voted as the worst Star Trek film by Trekkies.

15. Squish Mitten

Squish Mitten I'm a five-star general; infantry controller.

Star Trek Into Darkness: 8/10

16. travz21

Iron Man 3 - 5.5/10

What the hell was that crap? What a wasted opportunity on the Mandarin. So bad.

17. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Haven't seen it yet, but my faith in the flick diminished as soon as Matthew Vaughn left the director's seat.

18. _cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

THE CONJURING: 9/10

I so love 1970's way of dressing up! Haha. Anyway, the movie was great from special effects to characters esp. the music, it was perfect! I would suggest watch it alone in your room rather than in cinema.

19. travz21

You could really tell it was someone else directing. A lot of great things about the first movie were basically gone. The storytelling wasn't up to the original and the characters didn't get to shine either. It essentially just ran on the fumes of the last movie and managed to entertain on a basic level, which I was ok with.

I didn't think I'd ever say this about any movie, but it felt worse off without Nicholas Cage in it.

20. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Because it was shallow and predictable, and it's annoying that movie adaptations feel the need to avoid issues of race and sexism by casting deliberately outside of a character's bio - Heimdall isn't black, The Mandarin always looks Chinese, and Khan isn't a white guy. Into Darkness was a revenge film instead of being about space exploration and finding new worlds, like the franchise set out to be when it first began.

Couldn't agree more. Making a joke, literally, out of Iron Man's most mainstream foe was so stupid, especially with the great setup Favreau made with the Ten Rings terrorist group in the first film.

I was spooked until it turned into just another Exorcism-esque flick. Definitely agree on watching alone at home than in a theater though - I've only found Paranormal Activity films to carry that quietness, and they aren't the creepiest films I've seen. The majority of people get spooked by them, however, and thus it's fun when the audience is barley breathing during night cam scenes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.