What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

Easy A- 8.9/10

Very funny and original. I predict great things for Ms. Emma Stone (loved her in Zombieland too)

2. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Live Free Or Die Hard - 7.9/10

I thought it was a great movie to watch, with excellent fight scenes and a lot of wit.
    The main thing that is keeping it from being a complete 8/10, is some of the voice-overs were horribly done :lol:

3. Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Little Fockers

Not as good as Meet the Parents. Same cast with the addition of the kids (the little boy is adorable) and Jessica Alba. Now I am not a hater in any way but the "Andi" character played by Jessica Alba irritated me so much. She was just SO DAMN over the top and I can't stand people like that lol. On a positive note, she looks hot.

The storyline was a little weak and unbelievable imo. The film has the same themes running through it as the previous two films such as trust, misunderstandings etc. However there are some really funny parts such as the playground fight that provide some laughs.

5.5/10

4. CM.

CM. ☠ L O V E KEEPS US K I N D

sabrina the teenage witch the film
    or the title is something at least like that
    lol

it was cute<3

5. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

The Fighter - 3/5
    It was good for what it was. Story-wise it didn't really flesh out of that boxing-drama sub-genre. It got very predictable after a point and I just didn't feel all that invested in it. It had a lot of typical plot elements that I felt like I'd seen a thousand times before. On the bright side though, I liked little things like how it didn't try to over dramatize the fight/training sequences and played em straight. Bale's performance was probably the only thing that really stood out in the movie for me... the rest just seemed very boxed-in into the world of a typical drama film. Not saying the rest of the performances were bad, but yeah... I just think it could be a little more daring than it was. Still a good watch.

Buried - 2/5
    I enjoyed it to an extent, but overall it didn't quite work for me. The first quarter of the film, where the main light source is that flickering Zippo lighter, just annoyed the fuck out of me. From the middle all the way till the third quarter, it did a good job of progressing the story, but it took a slump with the ending. Also, all the other characters that Ryan Reynold talks to over the phone seemed extremely unrealistic and one dimensional, even within the context of the story. And speaking of Ryan Reynolds, I was never a big fan of his acting but I thought he did a pretty decent job on this one. I still think his facial expressions and way of emoting come across as somewhat fake. I have to give props to the director though... I found some of the camera angles and filming techniques pretty impressive. Still at the end of the day, it's a notch above suspense thrillers like M. Night's Devil.

6. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

The Crazies. Completely, and utterly dumb yet somehow a rather enjoyable movie if you try to ignore any sense of logic. 2/10 for story and 4.8/10 for mindless enjoyment.

Creation (2009) A very good movie about Darwin and his love for his wife and daughter and science. 9/10

7. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

:jawdrop: What the heeellllluh? I LOVED The Crazies! Then again, I love mindless enjoyment :lol:

8. Agent

True Grit - 4/5
    Really enjoyed it... the plot was very easy to follow, with no crazy twist, unlike some other Coen films. What I loved the most were the lead performances, especially from Jeff Bridges and the new girl Hailee Steinfeld, she was amazing in it. The cheekiness in the dialogs really added to the entertainment value as well. Overall, just a very well made and easy to watch film that I think even non-Western fans will also enjoy.

9. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Black Swan. Saw it tonight in theaters. Maybe a 7/10. Don't see what people are praising about it besides Natalie's performance of the soft-spoken, sexy ballerina. Plot was just average.

10. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

True Grit - 8/10
    Jeff Bridges got true grit.

11. Siskica

Siskica Member

The lord of the rings,all 3 parts

12. Jeff

The Big Lebowski - 8.5/10
    I thought it was great! It had an interesting plot, along with some weird dream sequences.

The Iron Giant - 8/10
    Really good movie. I didn't enjoy it as much as I did as a kid, but that happens when you grow out of things. But, it beats the hell out of anything animated nowadays.

13. _cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

THE KARATE KID: 8/10
    PREDATORS: 8/10
    THE REBOUND: 7/10
    CASE 39: 6/10

14. travz21

I like your style, dude.

15. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Saw The Way Back last week. Big epic sweeping visuals/journey, solid performances all around even if the story was very basic. I enjoyed it.

Had my annual Extended Lord of the Rings viewing over the course of 3 days last week too. Almost 10 years since the release of the first, they still hold up. Great films. I look forward to the Hobbit.

Harsh Times. Great performance from Bale, he was a total dipshit but I actually felt sorry for the character by the end. Good film.

I bought this on DVD a few of weeks back, had only ever seen bits of it but had always heard it was very good. I don't often buy films I haven't seen. It didn't dissapoint. The Dude abides.

16. travz21

I've probably watched The Big Lebowski 20 times. It gets better each time pretty much. After more views you realize how incredibly well written the dialogue is. Plus, you have Donny. Cracks me up every time lol.

17. Agent

The Big Lebowski - 4/5
    First time watch. It's one of those films that you watch just for the dialogs and perforamcnes... both of which I immensely enjoyed. The plot for me just seemed like a vehicle for the actors to give their performance. The characters and dialogs were extremely well written... its hard to believe that none of it was improvised.

127 Hours - 4.5/5
    It was one of my most anticipated films from last year.. and it didn't let me down. Just a few days ago I watched Buried, another "one character stuck in a place" type film, and comparing that with this it's evident how talented Danny Boyle is. Loved it from every aspect, starting from James Franco's amazing performance to the stunning visuals. Everything was on point. If I had to complain, I'd say some of the flashback scenes and hallucinations towards the end could've been done a little more gracefully. Still definitely one of 2010's best movies.

18. Jeff

Up 8/10: This is definitely one of the better Pixar films out there, but not quite up there with masterpieces such as Toy Story, Finding Nemo, and Wall-E. There are definitely parts that made me laugh my ass off, and Pixar, for the most part, really knows how to mess with your emotions in some of their movies.

19. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Romeo Must Die

5/10

I'm surprised it took me this long to give this film a go. I always loved the trailers for this film, but never ventured to actually watch the movie itself. I was expecting something a little better than or equal to Cradle 2 The Grave, unfortunately this was actually worse.

20. Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

To Kill A Mockingbird - 10/10

Even though black and white and a very old movie, it's ftw! Loved the book and love the movie adaptation of it. Shows how far our society has come since the days of black slavery when Tom Robbinson is accused of raping a white girl and Atticus Finch is the only white person to defend him in a court of law. Turns out that the girl had kissed the black man and was so ashamed of her crush she lied about it. He of course is found guilty by a jury of white people and is sentenced to death. Only to start running from the cops, and they shoot him dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.