What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

I didn't like it because it resembled The Sixth Sense quite a bit and I thought there was poor acting throughout it. That's just my opinion though. I would see it and form your own opinion, lol. You could like it. :)

2. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I just watched I'm Not There for the second time, and the conversation with the director about the movie that's on disc 2. Really put the movie in perspective, and I understand it alot more than I did before. I knew about all the different aspects of Dylan's career and his personal and musical changes, but the film switched between the 7 faces of Dylan so erratically that it made my head spin.

That said, it's definately a fresh update on the (already) out-dated biopic genre. The 7 different faces of Dylan that are in the movie leave you wanting more of each individual actor's portrayal. For instance, I could watch an entire movie on Cate Blanchett's portrayal of '65-'66 Dylan, and likewise for Christian Bale's young politically minded folk-singer turned born-again christian version of Bob Dylan.

I'll be completely honest and say I wasn't, and never have been, terribly impressed by Heath Ledger. He does alright as the personal and romantic side of Dylan that the public rarely saw. Although, Ledger is very convincing in the romantic scenes, probably because it seems like Ledger was a real sweetheart when you got right down to it and he could probably relate to Dylan's personal triumphs with women and his great falls. The emotional scenes, in particular the all too cliched in musical biopics "don't take my kids!" was heart-wrenching, especially within the context of the Ledger's part of the movie.

Oh, and the soundtrack = amazing. I'm Not There is 8/10.

3. Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

Underbelly (Box Set) - 9/10

Okay, so it's technically not a movie. What it is, however, is the best Australian TV series I've seen in I don't know how long.

4. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I completely forgot about that. I'll watch it later today. That, and Stroszek.

5. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

No they didn't show it... thankfully. :lol:

"Alien 3" was a lot better than I remember it being. Not sure why it's so panned.

6. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Not the best acting, badly scripted, a fair few plot holes, overly pompous. The characters from Aliens being killed off right at the start and leaving you with a bunch of prisoners takes a lot away from the film in terms of being able to empathise with the cast. It looked pretty good though and obviously it's still about a million times better than every Alien-related film since. I think it depends on whether or not you view it within the context of the film itself, the series, or while giving the actual production of 3 more precedence as well.

I think we can all agree that Resurrection is shite though.

7. Tim

Yeah, I would agree it had the weakest story of the first three. I thought it made up for it in atmosphere, and somewhat, in a visual sense.

8. Andrea

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (8/10)

9. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The Legend of Zu - 5/10

What a beautiful....MESS. I kept rolling my eyes throughout the entire movie. Tsui Hark had always been regarded as one of asia's most prominent directors; how embarassing.

10. SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (10/10)

Crazy good movie..i liked it alot

11. Andrea

Red Eye

12. Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

The Invisible 9/10 (again)

I dont know what it is about this movie but I still love it

13. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Can you believe that Chatwin will be Goku? Shocking.

14. Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull: 9/10

It was pretty fucking ridiculous but entertaining.

15. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Insanely bland characters or not, I liked "Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem" a lot. :)

16. Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I just came back from that one. It is pretty ridiculous indeed but honestly, if it wasn't, it wouldn't have been so good. :lol:

Must've been the best movie I've seen in a long time. I love Indiana Jones movies. ^_^

17. lachina128

lachina128 Well-Known Member

Indy Jones 4!!! so over the top....I loved it. :) except for the shia and monkey thing that was kinda "wtf'? but go see it if you were a fan of the other movies....and go see it if you haven't seen any Indy movies. lol

18. Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah those monkey's were a bit too much, but hey, he had to get back into the car somehow, right? :lol:

19. lachina128

lachina128 Well-Known Member

lol tru but those monkeys were on some steriod/crack mix...

20. Tim

So, last night I decided to watch a couple European horror films that have been getting a lot of buzz lately. I think it's safe to say they're taking the mantle recently held by Asian filmmakers, as the most exciting in the horror genre.

REC - 9/10
    A Spanish film that's kind of a mix between The Blair Witch Project and the 28 Days/28 Weeks Later series. Its basically a documentary style movie about a local news crew that follows a group of firemen at night, when they get a call about a woman trapped in her apartment. Without spoiling anything, I'll just say that chaos ensues. At 75 minutes long, it's an incredibly short film, but it manages to stay pretty tense throughout (after a slow start). The last 20 minutes, though, are pure gold as one of the most chilling climax sequences I've seen in years unfolds. It makes me never want to go into an attic ever again. :ph34r:

(Apparently, REC is already getting a Hollywood remake under the name Quarantine. Oh dear... -_-)

À l'intérieur - 9/10
    In short, one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen (lets be honest, who wouldn't find violence towards a pregnant woman unnerving?). It starts
    off with a simple scenario, but starts to bend reality towards the end.
    It becomes less of a linear narrative and more of a nightmare scenario that pushes the creepy (and gore) factor to new levels. A must see for anyone who's jaded by the Saw series, and others of that ilk.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.