What I've Done (Live at Best Buy Studios)

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

I liked it, but i'm a sheep to the masses. 98% of what LP puts out, i'll eat out of their hands. only band I really support entirely.

none of the AOL sessions I've seen were any good. I've seen a couple and a lot were worse than this. I believe there was one where 30STM (I could be wrong) did a special cover and it was absolutely horrid. this is a good performance.

LP Tekkie

LP Tekkie Well-Known Member

This was a good performance. It was on AOL; you can't expect performances on venues like AOL, Leno, Letterman...etc to be that great.

LPgator

LPgator Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it, as stated above, you have to watch them with the understanding its not going to be the same as a live concert performance. It was good for what it was.

lpcrawling

lpcrawling Active Member

I found it to be decent too..maybe even as much to say i liked it better than the album version bc it sounds less pop-y bc its more raw.

[Tezzy-Tez]

[Tezzy-Tez] Well-Known Member

all you guys arnt liking this...

I must of changed cause there was a time when i agree'd with the common opinion on LP

I think this owns the studio version...

backing track is a little annoying though, doubt they'll do that live, must just be a sessions thing

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I found Fort Minor's AOL Session performance to be really good.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I liked MCR's AOL stuff?

Did 30STM really go on AOL? I want to see that.

Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

You know why? It's because there where no crowd!

You are beeing to mean people, it is good enough. Chesters voice do crack a couple of times but wtf.. and rob is freaking out with the headbanging never seen him like that before.

Diablorojo

Diablorojo Well-Known Member

that was bad, they looked tired, and back up tracks?
    it was scary when chester sang ´Done´

this is one of the worst lp songs ever, weak verses , weak chorus, weak bridge.. the other 2 MTM songs must be better than this.

I think it was a good performance..not the best they've done, but it wasn't all that bad..

panza

panza Well-Known Member

I don't know what you expect they'll do with that backing track. joe hahn playing piano? I think actually, this is the definitive live version for this tour, maybe on PR they'll bring some keyboard player outside of band, that would really help and would keep it just real, I agree this sounds like a half playback.

Let's see the first real live performance...what the set will be like etc.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

yeah i think i do remember 30secs doing a AOL session

and i agree i hated it

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The piano backing track was something I expected from the moment I heard this song. Mike theoretically COULD play piano during the intro/verses and guitar during the choruses, but it wouldn't make much sense since the piano continues during the choruses anyway. There would be an abrupt drop of sound which would just sound bad.

As for the drums, I figured Joe would be doing at least part of the drums, which he is. Rob is doing the whole hihat/tapping on his ride bell thing just as it is in the studio version, just that it's doubled by the backing track (the piano part has the drum thing on top of it). The beat that comes in afterwards is obviously a drum machine in the first place, so Rob would have to hit his digital trigger pads to play it, and since both his hands are already occupied, he kinda can't, lol.

Overall it's not a bad performance, I prefer the guitar sound on this version to the studio, it sounds heavier. Chester has sounded better, but he's sounded worse too.

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

Even though the band didn't seem like they were into it (everybody looked depressed as shit), it was still a decent performence.

Chester's voice is sounding great.

You guys need to realize that Linkin Park is an excellent live band. Their performences are so energetic and raw that it's just awesome. When it matters, Linkin Park will put on an amazing show.

Then again, 30 Seconds To Mars isn't that great of a live band to begin with. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
    Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

I liked how towards the end, while the rest of the band was still playing and Mike started his "Na na na"s, they were really high, but when it was just him singing, he lowered his voice drastically. Trying to keep up that macho image. ;)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
    chazychaz6287

chazychaz6287 Member

agreed, i was very suprised.

about WID

i had no problem with it, i wasnt expecting alot from an AOL session and it was good, and will only be better in concert. thats a given

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

To be honest with you, I wasn't as satisfied with that performance as I could have been.

What I loved about that performance was how raw they sounded. It's amazing. Chester's voice sounds so pure and clean. The drumming sounds more acoustic. It all sounds so raw. It's great.

What I didn't love so much was how Chester seemed to struggle with the higher notes. He had to start a note lower and bring it up so that he could reach it. I didn't really like that. And also, Mike didn't sound that good on the "Na na na's". I don't like how he sounds on the high octaves. He sounds better on the lower octaves, but even then, he didn't sound very good.

As for the recorded piano in the background and drums, it kind of upset me how they didn't do that themselves. The piano is more understandable than the drums, though, because it's basically throughout the whole song (I think?). The drums, though, Rob could have done. If anything, he should have had the eighth note beat (the one with the hi-hat and that metal-ish sound) recorded and the actual beat he should have done himself.

And as far as look is concerned, Rob, Chester, Joe, and Phoenix look good. Wasn't too happy with how Rob looked (but he had the headphones on) and Mike didn't look good either.

I'm sorry, but that was a 2 1/2 out of 5 star performance. Hopefully, there will be better performances of that as soon as they get rehearsing more.

Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

I think it would be cool if Chester was playing the piano while singing.

666Liam666

666Liam666 Active Member

you guys cant exactly expect chester to sing the way he does forever though, his voice was awesome before and its still awesome now as hes gettin older

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I thought the way Chester was singing the chorus was the way he was interpreting it live, not trying to use a lower note as a benchmark to get to a higher note.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.