What genre would you call for Robot Boy?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Death Slayer, Feb 11, 2011.

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

Hybrid?

arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

Isn't that what they've always done? The whole unique thing seem to come from fans more than the band themselves. But what is wrong with trying to be unique? Isn't that the whole point of most things? There are no two people alike no matter how many things they have in common. The mixture of the band members and their differences make a pretty unique style to me. Just because its not like an obvious thing like an apple among oranges doesn't mean it isn't unique.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Not really. I'd rather them make truly genuine, inspired music than making music for the sake of trying to be different. Think of it kind of like those people who hate any band who sells a lot of albums, just because everyone else likes them. I guess what he's trying to say is there's a difference between being a non-conformist (doing whatever you're inspired to do) and being a contrarian (doing something for the sake of being different).

As for Robot Boy's genre, at this point I'd probably call it Electronica or Alternative Rock. The synthesizer and electronic sounds are becoming such a massive part of the rock genre that at some point the line between them is going to disappear.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

In Linkin Park's case, I don't think they made different music for the "sake of being different" rather they made music they truly wanted to make. In this case, the music ended up sounding different from their past work.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I didn't think they did.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Hm, interesting topic that I had no intention to bring up.

I think it's kinda both for them -- both at making something they like while intentionally straying away from their past styles.
    I dare believe that they must have made at least several old-era songs over the new-era years, they just didn't (will not) make it on the new albums.

arbiter

eh...not really. I didn't mean unique in that way which is the negative way. I try to be unique in the ways that i try to make sure i improve or add something new to whatever it is i have done or currently doing. One part of living is discovering your own identity among the masses. Like i said, no two human being are the same no matter how similar they may be like our genetic make-up. I enjoy discovering all the ways i differ from my family whom i share so much with. And amongst my friend and age group and as an individual with my personality and experience. That is what i meant by that being the whole point. We tend to want to feel special(not in the arrogant and god complex manner) no matter how much we share with the human population.

I don't think LP do what they do because they are trying to be "unique" for the sake of being unique and non-conforming. I think the make-up of the band lends its'self automatically to them putting stuff out that is sure to have its own identity anyways. They try to do something different to challenge themselves because repetition bores. It bores the audience and is even worse for them. I want LP to challenge themselves in creating their music. It means they actually love it and are not just doing it as merely a job. I am like that so i understand it. And if challenging themselves means getting albums like ATS, i don't see what anybody has to complain about.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Agreed. :) LP's music is still, essentially, a blend of their combined influences; they're not out to re-invent the wheel, but just trying to keep things fresh and interesting for themselves and, by extension, for us fans.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
    Schen The Genius

Schen The Genius Former LPU Mod LPA VIP

Old person, boy band diner music played on 98.5 lite FM followed by Kenny G music

--RS

Necromorph

Necromorph TRY THE KETCHUP MOTHERF*CKER

amazing?

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

LOL

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

:unsure: Could be....

Rana LP Luvr

Rana LP Luvr 'Fly me up on a silver wing'

It could be Electro-Alternative

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

it'd be much easier perhaps to define each song from ATS under separate genres. But as a whole, and OCD about entire albums being under different genres, I just made up a new genre just for LP's new style and called it synth :awesome:. Don't know very much about the electronic genres so just put it under a name that i thought sounded cool.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

In that case, let's call it Glockenshpiel :awesome:

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

After learning how to play Robot Boy in acoustic guitar, I can definitely say it's just a pop song.

arbiter

But it's not very popular.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Not to say I agree or disagree, but that doesn't stop something from being pop.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Huh? How? I don't think I can hear any element of the song that screams "pop".

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Why give it a genre to begin with? o_O