Tomb Raider: Legend Reviews/Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Derek, Feb 24, 2006.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Well Keaton, believe it or not its really easy to fix the camera if it gets in your way. I believe pressing in the left/right analog stick resets it behind her and as for rotating it you just need to use the right analog stick. I personally never had that much trouble with the camera because, even though you dont need to..I always change camera angles (even in games with good cameras) because I want it to be EXACTLY where I feel comfortable in having it.

As for the mansion, the courtyard is a hint of what could have been. I do honestly believe that the next Raider will have an outside, and that this was just to whet our appetites. Yes it's disappointing to not have an outside, but considering how huge it is, and the fact that there's so many puzzles to solve (many being more difficult than in the game) it's really nice to see.

I honestly think a 6.5 is too low for it and I'm sad you didn't like it as much as I did Dean. The complaints you and Keaton have are the complaints shared by most people which is the length, difficulty and combat. Although Legend for me has been hard and has taken me over 10 hours so far..I do agree there needs to be more emphasis on the combat. I saw no option to press back against walls and lean out etc, and I feel if that's included in the next game it'd be great. The 'aerial assault' moves, kicks, and exploding/destroyable scenery are FANTASTIC and all that needs to be improved is more cover moves (leaning against walls) and Military game style A.I. This is in no way saying the combat sucks, cause it was quite fun..but it wasn't quite as engaging as one would hope it to be.

But as far as the story, environments, graphics, voice acting, moves and interaction goes I feel this game kills Prince of Persia in every aspect. After POP: Sands of Time I found myself getting bored after a few levels, where-as in Legend every level is diverse and keeps you on the edge of your toes with finding secrets and exploring every nook and cranny.

I'll admit it isn't the world's most perfect game but in terms of saving a damaged series? It absolutely succeeds. The game is full of entertainment value, interesting puzzles and everything Tomb Raider has been lacking for so long.

Legend was to fix the wounds. TR8 will be to move ahead and break new ground. I guarantee it.

I give Legend an 8.5/10! If the combat was slightly better and the mansion had more of an outside, that would be over a 9..EASILY.

Oh and Casey? Legend all the way.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Well, the camera issue for me is more along the lines of the automatic positioning a lot of platformers nowadays use. I would emphasize on PoP's cameras because it was the best for puzzle-related platforming, especially when you know timing is a factor. I just found it hard sometimes to look around my environment because the camera felt the need to zoom in on Lara's boobies everytime there was nowhere for it to go. :lol:

Nonetheless it didn't destroy the gameplay... I guess because I'm "1337" and I learned to hit L2 every time I came to a new area (auto centering the camera). I just found it to be annoying, considering that's something I used to dislike about the old TR games as well... mostly because they'd determine which direction "up" would be and so on. :p

Still a brilliant game, and I'll say it again: If this is any indication of Tomb Raider's future, it's looking really good!

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Uh huh :). I cant wait till E3. I have a big feeling they've already been developing the ps3 TR8 behind our backs and that we'll see a really sweet teaser trailer next month. Maybe not but...it doesn't hurt to hope right? ;)

I'm just really satisfied. Tomb Raider's finally a top series again, and it feels really good to say that.

I just hope Keeley Hawes stays as Lara Croft despite her acting obligations. She's perfect for the role. She's my favorite Lara voice next to the original Lara from TR1 (Shelly Blonde).