The "R.I.P. OiNK" Thread

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by 2xPutt, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Yeah, well OiNK was fast for anyone whether you had a decent connection or not and I highly doubt that you know a site where you can download an album in less than a minute (Not OiNK). My DSL connection averaged around 300-400 kb/s downloading speed on OiNK. It probably averages about 30-40 kb/s on sites like Demonoid.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Scene isn't nearly as good as the restrictions on OiNK. Besides, as someone who's been close to the scene for quite a few years, the 'scene' as far as we have it now is dead. Now it's a big freeforall between 'groups' bitching about releases.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Source: TorrentFreak.

Haha, awesome if that's true.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

LOL

The scene's quality has been degrading over time. In the past, they had good quality, but now, I think their quality is about 256kbps? Something around that, in VBR.

Now, compare that, to rips that have been ripped by users using EAC [scene groups probably use the same, as it's the best] encoded at 320kbps, FLAC or V0.

I don't know your definition of professional [read: definitely not scene], but I know OiNK's users upload amazing quality. No transcodes either.

I love the bit about the self-destructing database. I honestly wonder how that works. I guess the database requires something active to be able to decrypt the database, and without it, the database is absolutely useless. If this fact is true, I honestly would love to hear how this works. But the fact that the database is fully encrypted is no surprise to me. I would be pissed off if a site like OiNK [or TPB even, for that matter] wasn't encrypted.

It's funny how the companies say that they've been watching OiNK for two years. I registered less than a year ago, and even I saw OiNK's post about the history of OiNK and how it was created for the purpose of sharing music within friends -- NOT as a pre-release site, as that goddamn press release makes it out to be. The scene handles leaks, which typically originate on newsgroups, and then users upload them to OiNK.

Chris.

"Yawg> did you anticipate a raid in the past? Did you take any precautions regarding site design and logs and whatnot to protect the community?
    OiNK> the logs we store aren't enough to inciminate users"

From an IRC Chat with an OiNK Mod/Admin. I'm sure they'll access information about some of the biggest users but as far as the lower tier is concerned, it doesn't seem like we'll be in trouble.

Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

wow haven't been on oink since the summer, sucks though it was an awesome sight

JNudda

JNudda Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2007
    Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Apparently the database wasn't encrypted [which is surprising?] or self-destructable. I don't see any source for or against either, though, so I don't know what to believe. Either way, as said, there's no information anywhere to incriminate anyone enough.

Chris.

Yeah one of the mods said that the logs that were kept weren't enough for the police to go on, so I figure they're going to have an extremely hard time trying to get names or anything of the sort, besides the Admins/Mods.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

It was a great site, good speeds and lots of variety. Wasn't a fan of the elitist community though.

Chris.

BoiNK

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

I think the community was the best part of OiNK.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Hm, they were great in terms of uploading a lot and seeding a lot. I just found them in general too strict, and seemed to really see OiNK as a special club. I got warned because I suggested they allowed music videos on it...

I think a lot of it also has to do with the fact that I can't tell a different in quality between a MP3 rip with 128 bitrate, and a FLAC lossless file too. They seemed obsessed with quality I saw as pointlessly high. I mean, obviously some people can tell a difference and that's great for them, but that doesn't help me any and I don't see why they should take down a transcode if it is the best quality available.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

A lot of people on OiNK are audiophiles and can tell a difference. They have uber expensive awesome audio equipment and can tell a difference. Even I, on my cheap home stereo system can tell a difference. I loved OiNKs strict rules, it made sure I had the best quality music possible, and I'd rather not have something than have a transcode or shitty 128 rip. Frankly, if you're the type of person who doesn't care about quality, then OiNK simply wasn't for you, and you shouldn't have wasted someone else's invite and can stick to your shit on Demonoid.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I'm in Canada, no Demonoid for me >_>.

Either way, I don't see how a transcode is worse than *nothing*. If it was labeled fine, it shouldn't have been a problem. No one is forcing you to download it.

And as I said, some people can tell a difference, but I couldn't. So you are right that it didn't do me much good with the quality. But I still found music there I couldn't get anywhere else, and got great speeds, so OiNK was still of use to me.

If you're the type of person who needs a rip to be lossless to enjoy a song, I feel sorry for you.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I don't need a rip to be lossless, I need it to be a decent bitrate MP3. I can hear compression artifacts in 128 MP3s, and those just ruin the songs for me. I prefer V0 MP3s. The only got a lossless rip once, when it was the only one available, and I converted that to MP3

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Okay fair enough. Sorry for the false accusation. I now remember you talking about only liking MP3's earlier.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

There's something wrong with you if you can't tell the difference between 128 bitrate and lossless.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

WAFFLES!

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I've never tried listening side by side, but if I hear a 128 bitrate I don't notice the quality being bad at all. Hell, I don't notice the quality of songs on the Myspace player bad (and they're what, 96 bitrate?).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.