The LPA Anime Thread

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by SuperDude526, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

You guys will finally find out about the epicosity that is, Toradora!

Absolutely my favourite of all time.

2. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I've always wanted to see Angel Beats, haven't got around to it yet though. But i'm different than most because I prefer the longer anime series. Death Note is one of my favorite animes. Same with Tri0gun but they both felt so short. they were amazing but felt short. DBZ is my favorite anime which is basically one of the longest out there. Another favorite of mine is Yu Yu Hakusho which is medium length per say if comparing to the extremes. I like a lot of animes, but sometimes they are too short IMO.

Blue Sumbmarine #6 was the WOAT anime, not only did it only have 4 episodes, it also SUCKEED major.

3. Serenity

Serenity Suffocating in the mess

I've only seen one ep so far, but it looks very promising!

I like a nice long anime as well, Death Note is a good example to me. However I find myself getting backlogged with episodes if an anime I'm following never ends...I gave up on Naruto Shippuden a couple years ago and have been told that I'm about 200 episodes behind or so. I suppose I'm of the mindset that anime should have lengthy story but at some point, like any story, it should just end.

4. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

5. Serenity

Good read, SuperDude. I think I might continue The Melancholy of HS after I finish Toradora! That anime is too good. :lol: "Armpit Carnival"...lol.

6. SuperDude526

Thank you, glad you liked it! By the way, do you have a blog? I noticed you have a Gravatar.

7. Serenity

Nope. Well, I've been working on a personal website/art-site but haven't really made much headway in it. At any rate I have nothing interesting to talk about. :lol:

I'm on ep 23 of Toradora! I'm so hooked on this show lol.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  8. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Damn, Clannad and After Story really do pull on your heartstrings, don't they?

9. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

So worst anime you have ever seen? My vote goes to Blue Submarine #6

10. SuperDude526

AHHH things are about to get really good! Episode 24 is definitely my favorite episode.

If you haven't seen CLANNAD yet, see it when you're done with Toradora! I'm planning on writing a short review for that one too, but that's not for another couple months. Although I assure you, it'll be up by the time you finish watching this monster of a series. :lol:

11. Jesse

Where should I start on Toradora!, the OVA's, OP's, or Series, and should I watch 100%?

12. Zak

There are OVAs? I had no idea. Just watch from episode 1.

13. Serenity

:lol: What's your opinion of it so far?

Fooly Cooly. :kappa:

Are you kidding? :lol: I recommend Clannad and After-Story to just about everyone (who likes anime) I know. I love that series! I'll read your review anyway, though.

Well I finished Toradora! last night. I really liked the series overall though I can't say I wasn't let down a little bit with the ending, though it was pretty refreshing compared to most other high school/harem animes.

14. Zak

It leaves you wanting more.

15. Serenity

Exactly. Though if there really are OVAs... :awesome:

16. SuperDude526

I don't really consider it harem per se, certainly no more than Clannad is. Anyway, the OVA is set at some time before the ski resort trip.

17. Jesse

Up until episode 21 Clannad Afterstory is an amazing anime, it really grows from the first season which I really liked too but the story progression is just fantastic. If it were a typical American cartoon there'd be 49 episodes of Nagisa and Tomoyo in High School... but I really like how things move along in After Story.

22 and onward jumped the shark for me though. I'd think Clannad would be better overall without any sci-fi elements. Just feels like they erased everything with episode 22 and it irks me.

18. Serenity

(TEXT WALL AND SPOILERS AHEAD:leak:)

I would say that's kind of the point of it. You get hints all throughout the series when they bring up astral projection, talk of "another world," the cat, and the side-story with the Illusionary World. Clannad likes to fancy itself a (somewhat) realistic slice-of-life story with bits of what-the-fuckery sprinkled in, in an almost surreal manner. The fantasy elements are what makes Clannad great, at least to me.
    The thing is, they didn't just "erase" everything with the ending. Above all, Clannad is a coming-of-age story focused on the immature and angry protagonist, Tomoya. It is through his experiences with others and through the unfortunate deaths of his wife and child that he matures.
    This is evidenced by his actions in the opening scene in Clannad in comparison to the mirrored scene in the climax of After-Story, where he almost doesn't speak to Nagisa at all to avoid the pain that the future will bring.
    When he matures from being an apathetic delinquent to being a true friend who will help his friends when they need him, he is rewarded with the collective miracle lights from the Illusionary World.
    Arguably, yes, they could have kept the series as a tragic ending, with you the viewer learning the values of family by witnessing the tragedy of Tomoya losing his own. But in this way, you get the tragic concept of Tomoya losing his family, but then you also get to see him have his happy ending.
    Or, taking the extra episodes into consideration, you could say that the ending is really just an alternative universe where Tomoya gets what he wants, and that there is another universe where Tomoya loses everything, just like how there are two episodes in which he never dated Nagisa but is instead with either Fujibayashi or Tomoyo.
    The ending can be interpreted in different ways, I just interpret it as though Tomoya's life experiences and willingness to help others "rewarded" him with the ability to change the past and have his happy ending, which was foreshadowed by including the Illusionary World and the miracle lights in the first place.

I'm so sorry for the essay-sized text wall. You can tell I feel very strongly about Clannad...lol. I do like discussing it, though.

19. Zak

All I have to do is quote your post and your hidden words shall permanently be revealed! :vinnie:

20. Jesse

I get what you're saying Serenity of Ashes, unfortunately I'm just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I feel like it's a cop out and erodes the integrity of the anime. All the episodes before, were awesome, A+, and even then I'd found the scifi elements annoying. But still, even with such a disappointing end the journey was great and I can definitely consider 22 as Ending B, cause I just feel the story is better if it were. :lol: