Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Agent, Apr 15, 2010.
The whole EP is now streaming on their myspace!
48 Hours in London:
Want to have us with you at all times on your iphone/ipad, blackberry or android? Download our new mobile app! http://road.ie/ips
Mobile Roadie - Apps - Innerpartysystem
Innerpartysystem. Join in on all things Innerpartysystem via the band's official appplication (app), available here and now for free. Stay connected, featuring news, event info, photos, music, videos, livestreams, and more.
About a year ago I was worried about the future of one of my favourite bands. They had lost a band member, been dropped from their label and the snippets of their new material didn't appeal to me much at all. This EP has pretty much put to rest all my doubts and issues about the new direction of the band. It's certainly one of the best EPs I've ever heard (also one of the longest!) and I feel stupid that I ever thought that I might lose interest in this band.
IPS have brought a new aggressive form of electro-house music to the table and, even though I prefer the alternative/electronica style of the first album, it's not all that different from their previous material. They've just taken all the positive aspects of the electronic side of their music and expanded it in a way that makes me forget they ever even created songs like This Town Your Grave and Heart That Heals.
That said, I do hope they don't get rid of the guitars altogether. It's a shame that Out Of Touch is the only song in which you can clearly identify the sound of a guitar and even then it's only really in the bridge you can hear it. It also doesn't look right when the band play live that Kris isn't playing the guitar. For me, on some songs (particularly the ones from the S/T) album, it's necessary to play the guitar to emulate the heavy nature of the song.
Overall I'm really excited to hear Never Be Perfect. This EP was nothing more than an appetiser for what I hope to be an even better full-length effort. I'm already feeling Lobotomy and Earthquake (I think that's what they're called anyway?) and those have only been played live a few times.
- Finally we got to hear a studio version of Money. Although quite different from it's debut at Warped Tour '09, this is the type of aggressive electronica entwined with social commentary is something I hope the band really push on the new album.
- Not Getting Any Better was a song I was really anticipating with excitement and the band didn't let me down. This track proves that the band can branch into house music without any difficulty whatsoever while keeping the trademark IPS themes.
- Out Of Touch is probably the only song that could have been on the S/T album and for that reason alone it's amazing. Patrick does an amazing job on vocals in this song.
- Squid was certainly the best way they could have ended the EP. Patrick's steps up his his game once again.
- To me, there was no point adding And Together to the EP. Okay, it's nice to have a more fine-tuned version of the song, but it's practically the same as the one that was released for free some months ago.
- The EP version of American Trash wasn't too special in my opinion. The single version just seemed more energetic and I loved the build up to the last chorus but this track was lacking any fluency. Truth be told, it feels like more of a demo than the single version.
- My last quarrel was the repetitive lyrics in NGAB and Squid. I think more effort could have gone into writing second verses for both songs.
Overall score: 4/5
A little info on what Jesse's up to these days; he's the current touring synth player for 3oh!3. I wonder what's gonna happen when the two bands play together in the UK in the next month...
I've hung out with them a few times, they are your great, I support them fully, and it suck it and see if they are so difficult.
I just saw them for the third time last night at a new club in Reading and they were still amazing. I can't wait for their new album.
Innerparty say it'll be cool. :*
But, yeah, anyway -- a new rmx for The Joy Formidable and two official remixes of "Not Getting Any Better", with several more to come.
I'll be looking forward to their new music videos, I've always found them to be pretty interesting.
Website + board have been redesigned with new "music" and "videos" pages.
Thanks for the tip!
Set for 'Not Getting Any Better' video http://plixi.com/p/98050163
I can only hope that means they'll actually be in the next video, lol. XD
"Not Getting Any Better" remixes EP now available on Beatport; I'm sure it'll be available elsewhere, for much less, within the coming month.
And, if that's not enough, "Not Getting Any Better" remix comp has started up at Indaba Music. ;P
sneak peek at the new video!
Innerparty recently performed acoustic jazz renditions of some tracks from "Never Be Content" live on XFM.
Downloaded that a few days ago. Nice to hear Kris back on the guitar.
The show on the 1st at Club Xoyo was fucking insane btw. Without a doubt the best IPS gig I've been to so far, the crowd were going absolutely nuts.
Not Getting Any Better video
Ugh I hate this techno/dance-y IPS!
Separate names with a comma.