The case for the LPA Wiki

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Adam., Aug 7, 2010.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I have nothing to do so I'm definitely available to contribute in some way!

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

Most people waste that much time each day browsing facebook. They can spare one Pomodoro ;)

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

I know a little SQL n java, but I'm not a web programmer, and anything i've done as a "web programmer" was very very backend. ...I was GOING to be a web dev if college would show a little mercy in the homework department (I had to shut down my own blog because i couldn't even keep that up to date).

But as it is I'd have to talk to the techies at my company's site to see how they did it. Which might be different than how adam says it can be done. Since we're going for security instead of letting any ol joe see it, we prefer to have people have to log in multiple times.

cstebila

cstebila an emerging paradigm

Can't get started on this tonight, however will begin contributing as of Tuesday for sure. Sorry skimmed the four pages, the gist I got was that we're going to be using the Mediawiki one as opposed to wikia, this would be much better in the long run, despite a lack of expertise among all of us, we can without a doubt learn.

This is something that will be a huge project, and we're going to need to organize. I'm going to pitch some ideas for organization soon.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Let us know when we can edit it.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

You can edit it now Hawk. Use the mediawiki link posted a page or two back.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I've no idea how to use MediaWiki. I'll learn but I think I'll wait until you can see if there can be a forum-wiki tie in.

Derek

Jesse, the forum wiki tie in would only link your wiki account to your forum account. It wouldn't actually make the process easier.

Using mediawiki is the same as using wikipedia. Only confusing thing for you might be how to create a new article, and I actually covered that a page back. As for editing, use wikipedia's how to edit page. The syntax/markup codes are exactly the same.

Derek

I hate double posting, but it appears some people fail to read/listen so I will say it again. The wikia page is NO LONGER being used. Updating it is fruitless. We are now using a .com hosted wiki. Go here: http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31384&p=966815&viewfull=1#post966815 and follow the instructions.

Please begin transferring your articles over to there and write a reply in this thread if you have any questions. We are working on implementing a 3rd party richtext editor to make article writing easier for n00bs.

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

Derek

Thanks for the help, we'll look at what you provided there.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

It's great that it now looks like WikiPedia. :D I will do some editing.

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

Once they start loading up all the extensions and plugins it will become MUCH more usable. Basic MediaWiki is not friendly to the uninitiated.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

You can click on a red link and create an article that way. I'm basically adding as many red links as possible, since i think that's most obvious.

EDIT: actually i recommend the red link way only. A page not connected to anything ("no wicks") wont been seen or edited by many people. Otherwise the person who created the page will have to wick it themselves.

EDIT2: I've wrote something more substantial on the Help:Contents page (stub notices automatically link there already). It's a short reference to the magic wiki symbols. This should be the bare minimum anyone needs to edit, so people unfamiliar with media wiki can learn these first real fast, i hope. I still have to tidy it up.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
    Derek

Great work so far guys! Keep this up. I can already tell this project is gonna be amazing.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Ok I'm mostly going through fixing peoples bad grammar and spelling mistakes :lol:

Derek

Yes guys, I know English isn't the first language for some of our contributors...but this Wiki is going to be representing LPA. Lets try to write our articles a little better please? :lol:

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

When can we expect those extensions to start going live?

Derek

Could take a little while as the staff is currently working on some other things for the site. I'd just focus on doing what Kathy said above, and potholing links as well as typing up articles. The formatting is exactly the same as standard Wikipedia, so if you know how to do that, you'll be fine. After we get the other projects out of the way, we'll start focusing a lot more on the Wiki. For now we should just work on content.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Is it just me or is the main page blank for everyone else? In fact I can only see anything that has been added if I go to recent changes.