The Artist or Song that got you into music

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Louis, Jul 15, 2005.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I don't know if this topic has ever been made, or if there has been something similar, because I've looked and I found nothing. If this topic seems pointless and unnecessary, by no means necessary should you hesitate to close it.

A few minutes ago, I started to think about how I got involved into playing drums, which out of all the instruments I play is my favorite. And then other things started popping into my head, about how without the music I've listened to, I would have probably stayed playing soccer or basketball. It just hit me, and so here's what the topic's all about:

Which artist or song got you into music? What inspired you? I mean, it doesn't necessarily have to be an artist, but that's usually the case. So tell us, what got you into music if you play music or write it. Nothing complicated.

As for me, my first instrument was piano and by watching my brother play it I was inspired by that to start playing it. And then when middle school came, I began playing clarinet because my mom made me play it. But what really got me into making music, and writing music, was this: When Faint came out, I fell in love with the drum part and was inspired. I wanted to learn how to play the drums. I've learned and people say I'm pretty good. And afterwards, I learned the guitar and bass, and music just became my number one hobby. So, yeah, it was Linkin Park, but look where I am now. I write my own lyrics for my friends who are in bands, I play many instruments, and I'm first chair in Concert band and Jazz band. One thing can inspire you and the results are amazing.

So, back to the question: Who or what inspired you to become involved in music?

Atsuzen

Atsuzen Super Member LPA Super Member

My first instrument was the piano because my mum sent me for classes (and I'm still pursuing). At first, I fell in love with baroque and classical music, and all those orchestrated pieces. Totally addicted. Then what got me out of my soft shell and into alternative music was ... yes, you guessed it : Linkin Park. My perception of modern music changed entirely, and I started liking LP more and more until I couldn't stop listening to their music. After that I discovered more bands, thanks to LPA ( ^_^ ) and somewhat expanded my music interest. That really inspired me to take up the guitar. Soon I managed to earn myself an electric guitar and taught myself how to play it (though, I still think I should get a tutor). What inspires me to write music, however, can be anything; depression, boredom, excitement, etc..

Yes, thanks to Linkin Park, I am here.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

The Offspring got me into rock music :lol: After that I got into Limp Bizkit and then into Linkin Park.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Eminem's 'Marshall Mathers LP' got me into rap. I listened to a friend's copy of it back in grade seven during a 6-hour bus ride to the island of St. Pierre et Miquélon, a French island just below Newfoundland.

Limp Bizkit's 'Significant Other' made me interested in rock music. Then
    Linkin Park's "One Step Closer" and Finger Eleven's "Drag You Down" videos just completely threw me into the genre. I saw them back-to-back on Muchmusic back around October/November of 2000.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Oh this brings back memories... :lol:

I got into music in the early 90's with rappers like Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Tupac, etc. Later, when Eminem came around, I would get hooked on music, rap music to be exact. It wasn't until I saw Papa Roach's video for "Last Resort" that I'd really get into rock music. Before that I would listen to a lot of pop, rap and my dad's old rock albums from bands like AC/DC and Jimmy Hendrix, but it wasn't until Eminem and there on would I really begin to get into music.

Always had a thing for the guitar though considering my father and his abilities. I always admired his guitar skills. I guess technically my dad got me into music... :chemist:

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

What got me into rap, was Jay-Z's Dirt Off Your Shoulder. I don't know why, but the song just got me into hip-hop. So I started listening to other rap artists such as Ludacris and Snoop Dogg. So, by listening to rap, it sorta widens my knowledge of music.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

The Offspring's Smash when I was 7. I used to listen to Come out & Play over and over again. It was the only song I used to listen to on the whole album. :lol:

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Papa Roach's Last Resort got me into rock music, shortly after i got into Linkin Park.

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

I've enjoyed listening to music since as far back as I can remember. When I was little I always loved pop. ( :mellow: ,Laugh if you must.) Then when I was about eleven years old my friend played me his new Eminem album Marshall Mathers LP and I went out and bought myself a copy and just lived off that album for about a year. But bands like Nickelback, Alien ant farm and papa roach were all apearing on MTV and I started to take a great intrest into it all, I stopped listening to my Eminem album and from then bought Alien Ant farm's ANTology and Nickelback's Silver side up and took a huge liking to rock music and lost all interest in rap and pop music as my taste started to mature.

Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The first songs I ever remember hearing were "Friend Of The Devil" by The Greatful Dead, "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley, and "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison. My mom had a mixtape of The Grateful Dead, Bob Marley, and Van Morrison that she used to clean the house to, so for me, good music has always been there.

As far as music, I started playing Irish flute when I was about 8, then guitar when I was 10. That's what really got me into playing music. Now I play bass and French horn as well.

the_king_of_all

the_king_of_all LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

ok. i started off stealing my dad's cds (deep purple, pink floyd, the beatles etc.), then heard LP round and friends and loved it. brought HT (which kind of shocked my rents. my brother has always liked my rent's music and i think they thought i was going the same way) which got me in to rock. then i found sum 41 while on a bus trip to watch some guys running around shooting stuff, and then i have System of a down, Slipknot and Within Temptation to thank me for where i am now music wise. also i learned paino because... wait. why did i learn piano? i have always loved piano music, and in my opinion (no matter how dorky this sounds) a piano played well is the most amazing instrument ever. and i learnt guitar because i wanted to. which is god becaues playing guitar is basicly all i do these days. i guess Sum 41 got me into learning guitar originaly, then SOAD, Trivium and bands like that have made me want to get better.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I liked music before I heard this particular song (rap especially), but when my friend Tristan made me watch the video for Limp Bizkit's Nookie, I was introduced to rock and I gradually progressed to where I am today.

Cassie

Cassie The time to hesitate is through.

No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom.

Spiderwebs, Just A Girl, Sunday Morning, and Don't Speak, really struck a cord with my 9-year old, slightly inclined musical self.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

When I was younger I liked Ash, Oasis, Blur, and all the other more popular britpop bands of the 90s. Then when I was nine or ten I started listening to Shaggy (yeah) and that lead me to mainstream hip-hop artists like Eminem. Then rap-rock got really commercial when Linkin Park blew up in 2000/01 and I started listening to them and other similar bands like Rage Against The Machine, Papa Roach and Deftones. Then about two years after that I had my pop-punk/emo phase, and now (subtley skipping another year) I'm where I am today.

E M P T Y BOX!

E M P T Y BOX! Active Member

The songs that got me into music was 'U remind me - Usher":eek:, Eminem's The Way I Am and 21 seconds by So Solid. then there were Linkin Park with In The End, Alien Ant Farm and Sum 41, and i slowly began to explore the rock genre. Now I'm really open to any kind of music (even Jessica Simpson :lol: )

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Ever since I was little, I have been a fan of Aerosmith. They were the first rock band that I've ever listened to due to my parents playing their music a lot. I really thought they were the best band ever growing up. I would have to say that Aerosmith is what got me into music.

Since then, I've gotten into bands like Green Day, Linkin Park, Bush, The Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, No Doubt, Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit, System of a Down, Korn, Evanescence and so many other bands.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

I don't really know what turned me onto rock. Maybe it was Incubus, but I can't remember. It was a long time ago.

As for rap? Ironically, it was Linkin Park's Reanimation that got me into it.

EDIT: I r teh suxors at tags.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins and Toadies all really got me into music.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

korn- got the life
    and insane clown posse :rolleyes: :lol:

Scarlet

Scarlet Well-Known Member

Honestly, Linkin Park got me into music. Before that I wasn't really that crazy about music. I mean I'd listen to songs but Linkin Park got me started into buying music, collecting CDs, and so on.

Before Linkin Park, I'd listen to Eminem and other pop songs and I never got into that stuff. LP got me into the whole rock scene--which is all I like. That's why I love 'em.