Stone Temple Pilots with Chester Bennington: "High Rise" EP to be released October 8

Discussion in 'News' started by minuteforce, Aug 28, 2013.

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

You'll sooner find a unicorn than an Artistdirect article that isn't a bunch of hyperbolic asskissing.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

I wonder how long will Chester stay with STP... or maybe he's just doing this to fulfill his childhood dream.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

How was OOT creative? It's very generic.

LP loooves Artist Direct. They were the first to hear LT and they gave it a 10. :facepalm:

InStereo

InStereo Well-Known Member

Yes, maybe. But still better than 90% of Living Things.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

:rolleyes: Right ...

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Yeah this is hands down the most music we've gotten from the band/from members within the band in a few month period. They're definitely holding to their promise of releasing more music and quicker. Even though one of those releases isn't Linkin Park, this is still fuckin fantastic!

And honestly, OOT has some very good riffs and fills in there (especially on bass), it's just the mixing is a little flat so it's hard to hear them. But it's definitely more complex than it gives off on first listen.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Now that's a tad silly.

Richoguy13

Richoguy13 Then it slipped away...

Smacks must be issued! Living Things was great, it was just the sucker that had to perform after ATS...

Derek

LT certainly had its pitfalls and songs that "weren't that great" but there were also plenty of songs on there that rank with some of the band's best and that are rather creative. Sure it's not an ATS but we were pretty much told as much from the first interview they did for the album. It never was going to be an ATS part 2.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I love the bass in that song.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Crazy talk!

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Out of Time is indeed that kind of song which is very straightforward-rock type. A little pack of rushed energy. But the fact that it's fast paced or with loud guitars doesn't necessarily mean it's better that 90% of LT.

It's never really come to my head to compare STP w/CB with Linkin Park but now that some are bringing this up.. No, I really don't think OOT is better than LT. Still a great song, but different approach and different use of the vocals. LT has some really GOOD tracks in there like LITE, COG, POWERLESS, and to be fair, I listen to more LT than I do listen OoT so that alone is a hint.

I'm still looking forward to this EP a lot.

jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

I really hope that the EP has a ballad on it along the lines of Interstate Love Song.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Tracklisting has been added to the post.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Then we have The Mall OST and the next studio album next year. Plus, isn't Fort Minor... eh I'll save it for a different thread. Probably what I've heard is just rumors anyways.

Derek

The more I see haters for Chester on the STP forums and Facebook, the more I hope that this EP contains the next "Creep", "Wicked Garden" or "Interstate Love Song", or is even the next Core so that these doubters who haven't even heard any new material except for "Out of Time" will promptly shut the fuck up. I'm a Linkin Park fan yes, but I am also a HUGE Stone Temple Pilots fan and I want to see this band survive. And yes, I like many others (despite my fandom for Chester) have my reservations about this, and are nervous about the idea of a Stone Temple Pilots without Weiland. But you know what? I've heard Chester do the old songs live, and I was happy with the result.

I also find Out of Time to be the most energetic the band has sounded in a long time. The band seems to be happy, and in a good place...and I will most definitely support them in their quest to keep the STP legacy alive. The new lineup deserves a shot. Regardless of people's thoughts on Linkin Park.

*EDIT* I did a longer, more detailed version of this same post on Below Empty. I was seeing a bit of Chester hate there and got tired of reading it: http://www.belowempty.com/forum/index.php?topic=9273.msg167850#msg167850

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Although what you're saying wouldn't be a bad idea, I don't think it takes for a song of this EP to be better than one of the classics for haters to shut up. I think the lineup has the potential to do some great tunes and yes, things can only do well if the bandmembers are in a good place both emotionally and creatively. I'm confident this body of work will be a step into the right direction for the band and hopefully the guys and Chester can win some of the fans "back".

If the songs turn out to be good, it'll be rather silly to just keep hanging onto the person than the music itself, which at the end of the day is what a band is supposed to do anyway.

InStereo

InStereo Well-Known Member

Okay, that's just how i feel. However, I think that OOT has some decent guitar riffs and the lyrics are better than most stuff on LT and so are the drums. In any event, I feel like Chester really evolved when it comes to the lyrics on that one, which lets me think that the whiny fear/pain/let-you-go-lyrics on LT were written to get the teenagers back on board.

And it's not that I have to have guitars in order to like music. I actually liked ATS quite a lot. But if you look at LT, most of the songs don't seem genuine (don't know if that's the right word) to me. Of course, there are Castle of Glass or Until it Breaks which are quite nice, but LT is a huge letdown. Because if you're talking about how creative you are, how you evolved by stepping out of the box and how you are not down for some What-I've-Done-Shit, this album is ridiculous.

I feel like Chester is just doing what he wants to do with STP and is being creative again, which lets me hope for an awesome EP.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I think I get what you mean by "Genuine." To me, a lot of the songs on LT seemed like carbon copies of each other. Change a sample here, change up the lyrics and melody there, and boom, we have 3 songs that are structured way to similarly. Plus the lyrics seem like a retread of previous albums. That's why I loved ATS, the lyrical content was something they've never done before. At any rate, OOT has got me excited for the upcoming STP EP. There hasn't been an energized, hard rockin' song from Chester in a long time.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013