Skylar Grey

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Jeff, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Shark Attack

Shark Attack Well-Known Member

lol, people on a Linkin Park forum calling other musicians sellouts...

Pot.

Kettle.

Black.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

The "pot kettle and black" stuff here relies on:

1. The people calling her a sellout actually liking Linkin Park's new stuff.

2. The idea that every time an artist changes direction the circumstances are exactly the same. Without taking sides one way or another, how did Linkin Park change in the same manner? I don't remember them going off the radar for the best part of a decade then reappearing with a new name, new image and a completely different sound.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

It's like the same thing but different.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

ADK is a boss, he has his own sound like every producer should starting out. The only song I didn't like produced by him was the Nicki song.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Yeah, because the biggest rock band in the world changing their sound to something more artistic is because they want more money.

Skylar either really loves her music and wanted to be able to share it with as many people as possible, so she changed her name and image, or she wanted as much money as possible (selling out). These two circumstances are not comparable. But obviously you're just mad about LP changing their sound.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Removed. :(

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The biggest rock band in the world? I know you're a fan, but come on..

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

I agree with the other guy. Why are you assuming she's "selling out". You don't know her goals. So I can see what the other poster meant by "linkin park fans...". You'd think we'd be the last ones to jump to "SELL OUT" chants after all the crap people give LP fans and LP themselves.

And you can want to get your music out there and internally hope it does make as much money as possible. There's nothing wrong with that. If LP finished ATS and Mike was in his room thinking, "I love this album. I want it to sell like 30 million copies!" there's nothing wrong with that, as long as that's not the motivation.

And ADK is mildly entertaining. Beats are meh. He needs a great artist to make himself sound good. All I hear is some UK Grime-style beats with a pop coating.

Edit: My rant was over long so I deleted most of it. I see your point about the hiatus, but still, what's wrong with that? If she was at an impasse as Holly Brook (is one stage name really more sellout-ish than another) and meeting ADK lit the fire under her to keep going.... why not? It's like we assume "Aww no way Holly Brook would REALLY want to come back with someone like Alex Da Kid, must be for the fame and money!"

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Arguably the biggest. Most fans of any band on Facebook and probably sold the most records since 2000 of any rock band.

Edit:
    If Holly didn't change her name and image, then the "sellout" stance from me would be different. It's pretty obvious what she did. But I've said this before, at least she's a talented artist. Most people that are selling out and conforming to the trends of the week suck so much and still make millions. I'd much rather Holly do this.

Shark Attack

Shark Attack Well-Known Member

She changed because Machine Shop screwed her over, left her penniless and without hope of ever making it big. She started writing songs for bigger artists, then got herself noticed as a singer once more...

You say sellout, i say deserving of the success she is getting...

El Muerto

Where did you get that from?

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I don't know the details of what happened with Machine Shop, but she did write for Eminem, Rihanna, Dr. Dre, Diddy.

El Muerto

Yeah, I didn't quote it right, I meant just the part about MSR haha :)

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

If I remember correctly she wrote a blog entry venting about her frustrations with the recording industry in general. This was back when she was totally down and out.

El Muerto

Well to be honest, I thought her album was pretty shitty and it wasn't industry's fault that she didn't make it.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

You act as if everybody on this website adores Linkin Park. Which couldn't be further from the truth.

My whole point was that she shouldn't be letting hip-hop producers work on her music. She needs a Rick Rubin, not Alex da Kid. Fuck, give this chick Don Gilmore, I don't care, but her image/style and vocals are a complete washout when matched with this shit.

I could care less about her time as Holly Brook, or whatever, or if Mike/Machine Shop screwed her over and she got all whiny about her career because she couldn't make it in the business. Reinventing herself is fine and dandy, I don't have a problem with that. It's the way she went about it and what the final product (seemingly) sounds like. Hot garbage.

I do like the beat, though, but I definitely don't like having Hollylar Greybrook trying to be a bad rip-off of Amy Lee singing about man problems (?) over a crunchy beat like that.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
    Justin V.

Hollylar Greybrook lol.

I definitely understand that opinion. I'd like a more evolved form of Holly Brook. The hiatus coupled with her producer make it seem like a huge left turn.

If you look at it though most of her Skylar Brook songs are about relationships. Love the Way You Lie, Dance Without You. Words I Never Said was a relationship song about a break up before Lupe removed the bridge and changed the concept. Most of her debut album was about relationships or herself growing. The beat and image do make it more... angsty though. When she used to be more thoughtful. I agree she'd do much better with a Rick Rubin. ADK is meh. I'll even take a Dangermouse. She could even rock a Xtina with DJ Premier. But ADK is watered down euro-hop. Big synths with huge drums and guitar or pseudo-guitar sounds.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

You make that sound like Danger Mouse would be a last resort. Which makes you sound crazy.
    PUN FUCKING INTENDED

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Not trying to prove you wrong, but just picking up on Words I Never Said. I'm 100% sure I read an interview where she said it was originally written about someone close to her passing away and not at all about relationships.

Justin V.

No, not even lol. That was me typing names as they came to me. I think DM would do great with her. Rome was amazing. Though I do think it needed more upbeat songs to keep it moving. ADK is a little too Pussycat Dolls in his production for me. Danger Mouse and Skylar would rock I think.

Joe, you're right. I was remembering something Lupe said about the song when he got it, not what Skylar actually said.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.