Robot Boy - theory behind the title

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Polychromatic, Oct 19, 2010.

Cure4TheItch

Cure4TheItch I fuck up everything I see, fighting in futility.

Wow, great summary. I think you're on to something with your description.

The Candidate

The Candidate Well-Known Member

in my opinion the song is about a little human. kind of a child male
    and then i think the child has something robotic.

i dunno. It's hard to guess.
    hm but i think it has def. something of a child. not a girl the other thing.
    and yeah it def has something robotic.

hm...im sinking
    hm what are you thinkin about ?

arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

I think the name Robot Boy stuck because the name perfectly captures what the song is about in every way. At first, i was like "Robot Boy?" Then i listened to the lyrics and then i was like :eek:h, of course." The lyrics talk about someone who has given up being human and is currently a Robot because it is better. That is my interpretation anyways and why the title makes sense. So in essence, the person the song is about it the robot boy. And in the end of the song at the climax, the person changes from a robot.

And the synth solo is like so bloody awesome. It has a killer intro and such a great harmony. At first, i couldn't appreciate the song but after a few listens, the brilliance of it shone through and overcame me to being one of my super favourites among favourites.

SabiLP

SabiLP Well-Known Member

I never thought about the title... but I think LP gave this track this name randomly and couldn't find anything better for this track later.. :) and this song is just pure awesomeness. I don't understand why people don't like it

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I think it's one of those love it or hate it songs. I hate it. It's listenable but as a Linkin Park song it is defiantly one of their worst.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Robot Boy is a longer, more boring version of this

[video=youtube;xRgEcm8h0ko]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRgEcm8h0ko[/video]

Which is a shame, because if they cut it in half and added Journada del Muerto to it, it would have been a classic.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Robot Boy is now one of my favorites. 9.5/10.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Are you serious? You can't be serious.

arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

I would like to know what you're smoking that compelled you to make such a loose and baseless comparison. You might as well say that every classic rock songs sound the same and are just an imitation of each other.

Blackee Dammet

Except I am.

I believe that you believe you made a good point. Doesn't exactly counter my opinion of the songs or give me a reason to rethink what I said, however. Between the layered vocals and overall, I guess I'll call it "dream-like" for lack of a better term feel of the instrumentals the songs sounds similar. Similar, not carbon copies, and even then only similar in that Robot Boy, to me, sounds like a less engaging of said song (until the guitar and Chester screaming YEAH YEAH YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH at the end). So my 'loose and baseless comparison' would be that if maybe changed or shortened that first, less than stellar first 3 minutes of Robot Boy the song it probably wouldn't have reminded me of a poor Alchemy Index era Thrice.

I imagine the first thing you'll want to do is go and find a hundred different slow rock ballads to try and prove a point. Please don't. I'm well aware that mellow ballads are a staple of alternative rock.

travz21

Are you serious? You can't be serious.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Actually yeah, Robot Boy did remind me of certain tracks from The Alchemy Index. I actually like it though. Whether or not I think it's done better by Linkin Park or Thrice depends on which particular tracks I guess.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"Robot Boy" is one of my favourites off "A Thousand Suns" and I think they picked the name as a random working title and kept it as they started to see it seemed relevant to the lyrics. Just my theory. :"

I don't really like how it's so repetitive musically, but people's ideas that that repetitiveness is part of the song's overall theme kind of works. In any case, the keyboard solo really saves it. :)

Jake

Jake Give me reason

I don't understand why one would flame Linkin Park for such a "boring" song. I thought A Thousand Suns was being who you wanted to, and being accepted that way. But then again, there are opinions.

I love it, and it stayed my favourite for a few days. The synth solo kicks ass, really.

Blackee Dammet

Do you keep trying to make a joke or do you have like an extra chromosome or something?

cloudscream

cloudscream Static

Robot Boy is the lead soundtrack for the new Astro Boy movie.

travz21

You mean the one that is over a year old?

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Wow, not cool.

I actually like Robot Boy. I dunno why people dislike it so much, to be honest; one of my friends' explanation was, "it's just a song, nothing special about it", yet he loves Iridescent. I like Iridescent, too, but the synth in Robot Boy > whatever Iridescent is layered with, in my opinion.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Agreed.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

seriously? What Astro Boy movie though? I thought the America one already came out