Rap or Rock?

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mcnasty, Dec 12, 2003.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

Well maybe it was poetry set to Jazz music. :argh:

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Well maybe it was poetry set to Jazz music. :argh: [/b][/quote]
    My grandma plays jazz all the time and none of it has ever sounded like rap.

And, as for Odaton saying it's unoriginal: He meant what's out now. All rap today is the same, and all of it sounds the same. They all have the same boring beats, but they have different background "sounds" so they end up being different.

Yep. No idea what I just said but it sounded good.

Ander

What you were trying to say is "It sounds the same, but somehow it's different."

Kinda like when Vanilla Ice was getting sued for copyright infringement and had to vocally replicate the difference between "Ice Ice Baby" and the Police song that he sampled. :lol:

Will

What you were trying to say is "It sounds the same, but somehow it's different."

Kinda like when Vanilla Ice was getting sued for copyright infringement and had to vocally replicate the difference between "Ice Ice Baby" and the Police song that he sampled. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Well, I'll admit that most rap songs actually "sound" different, but they all have the same, boring drum beats. It's all uninspired. I don't really think the rappers themselves have anything to do with that part of their music (or maybe they do, I don't know). I think all they do is write lyrics, some guy finds the flow and then makes the background music. And I think it's probably the same guy who's made the same background music for every rapper that's existed. Whenever I see MTV, all the drum beats sound the same to me. It's as if it's the universal beat for rap. It's pretty annoying when you can tap your foot the same exact way to 150 different songs that get played over and over again.

Most of the music is uninspired, in my opinion. Sure, when a rapper wants to, he can lay down some inspirational raps and meaningful lyrics...but most of the time it's just garbage in my ears.

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

No you got what I said confused because I wrote it messed up lol. Jazz muscians freestyle just like rappers do and thats where freestyling for rap came from.

Ander

They don't. Most don't. The good ones do anyway. (Eminem....I seriously cant think of another rapper writes and produces [makes the beats] most of their own music. I should think harder. :argh:)
    *cough*Neptunes*cough*
    <!--QuoteBegin--Will
    @Dec 12 2003, 09:54 PM
    Whenever I see MTV, all the drum beats sound the same to me. It's as if it's the universal beat for rap.[/quote]
    Rap dyslexia :shifty: .

Will

Rap dyslexia :shifty: . [/b][/quote]
    LMAO.

I love your replies. :lol:

But, yeah. I respect people who like rap, and I respect people who respect the fact that I don't like rap. Eminem is the only rapper that I can stand to listen to. In fact, he's the only rapper I've ever really listened to in depth. Songs like "The Way I Am" and "Cleaning Out My Closet" are a couple of the best rap songs I've ever heard. If more rappers could have thoughtful, meaningful lyrics like Eminem does (on his more serious songs), then rap would be God's gift the world.

Okay, I might not go that far...but I'd probably like it more.

Oh, and thanks for clearing that up, Mcnasty. I was confused. :lol:

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

No you got what I said confused because I wrote it messed up lol. Jazz muscians freestyle just like rappers do and thats where freestyling for rap came from. [/b][/quote]
    Ok that was kind of messed up to. Back in the day Jazz muscians used to freestyle by playing what ever came to there head, soo just like on the spot play what ever you can think of right at the moment, get it. Rappers also freestyle by doing the same thing except they dont play an instrument they just rap what ever come to there mind.
    [EDIT]lol I cleared it up for you with that post so why did I make this one :(

Will

Ok that was kind of messed up to. Back in the day Jazz muscians used to freestyle by playing what ever came to there head, soo just like on the spot play what ever you can think of right at the moment, get it. Rappers also freestyle by doing the same thing except they dont play an instrument they just rap what ever come to there mind. [/b][/quote]
    Ah, alright. I understand now. :)

John.

John. i am corruption LPA Super Member

Nas is the best thing that happened to rap, he keep's everything real, period.

Ander

Nas is the best thing that happened to rap, he keep's everything real, period. [/b][/quote]
    sometimes he falls off track and raps on some gangsta sh*t though ;).

withnoapologies

withnoapologies Well-Known Member

i hate rap, why? it has no meaning, if it did, i would like it. i like mike shinoda who kinda raps, why? because he raps with meaning.
    for example: obie trise-(i think thats spelt right...) got some teeth: a song about how he meets a girl, "does" her that night, realizes that she has false teeth and leaves her. then at the end, he says that no teeth and his big lips aren't a good combination. well thats an excelent message.... girls are sex objects and if they have a tiny flaw, they will be excluded from life and happiness.
    another example: mike shinoda- dedicated: a song about how there are people in this world that are depressed, and that all who aren't have to live in reality, understand it, and try to help the people in need.

now i will let you decide what song would be goiod to listen to, a song that will lower your self esteem, or a song that makes you aware of some of the hardships in life.

NOTE: not all rappers apply....(obie trise is more R&B, but i think you get the point.)

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

I used to be totaly addicted to Eminem and his whole little rap group. I have nothing against rap obviously but i think it's all too samey at the moment and it's just boring. I am way more into rock than rap now ^_^

Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

I like both really but Linkin Park is just one of a kind. B)

Definitely rock. Some rappers are okay, but in general, this is a genre that sounds monotonous, repetitive and at times, plain annoying. Unfortunately, 50 Cent and Ludacris do suck because I can't see any point to their music. In fact, Ludacris has made one of the most disgusting videos I've ever seen. Mainstream rap is generally poor quality.

Ander

Oh come on, It's a joke song, it's not meant to be taken seriously. :p

and Obie Trice is no R&B crooner. That's Ja Rule.

Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

I think rap is falling. Me being an african american brought up on rap, i think i have a strong position. Rap is getting repetitive, thats one of the reasons why i turned to rock. I think most rappers today suck. Rock is much better than rap because it has meaningful lyrics+great music in the background. Rap just has one of the two, sometimes. That makes it bad. The only thing that would make me like rap again, was if more Rap/Rock collaborations were made or someone breaks into the game, totally new and original. Also, some of your posts were just ignorant. Rise from the ashes from stylistic division.

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

Oh come on, It's a joke song, it's not meant to be taken seriously. :p

and Obie Trice is no R&B crooner. That's Ja Rule. [/b][/quote]
    That was a joke song, A JOKE you know he dont want you know ;) with out some teeth. and bigjae you know there are alot of old rap songs and some new ones once in a while that just make rock look like crap, you know and most good rappers like 2pac or 50 Cent and most al of N.E.R.D and most other rappers love rock and most rockers which are big and popular love rap its just the fans that only like one and I dont know why.

EvolutionaryFuse

EvolutionaryFuse Ambient

we're all about rock and roll

fearphobic

fearphobic Well-Known Member

the only rapper i listen to is Eminem. his songs have some lyrical meaning in them, plus he is a unique rapper. there is only one song by 50 Cent that i actually like, "In Da Club". hmmm, i don't like rap much cuz' i feel the lyrics suck!! rappers make almost no lyrical sense, and god, someone please teach them correct english!!! i can't relate to rap songs, while i can easily relate to rock songs. rock groups come in so many varities, so itz easier to like. i like songs with good lyrics as well as good sound...and rap is missing the lyrics. trust me, u can't relate to most rap songs out there...

ok, if rappers learn to rap using meaningful lyrics (like mike shinoda) then i'll certainly listen to it. thatz one reason why i like Eminem as well. i must say, my favorite genre is rapcore (rap and rock collaboration), cuz' they have good sound and lyrics. but i'm jus not in for rap alone...