"Rap Isn't Real Music"

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Justin V., Mar 18, 2004.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

TODD JUST GOT:

[​IMG] [/b][/quote]
    I just had a seizure :lol:

no i'm not serious.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

But you can say the same thing about rock. Kids going around saying "SKEET SKEET" is just as bad was wannabe 13 yr old punks singing "THIS IS THE ANTHEM GET YA DAMN HANDS UP!!" which is taken from a rap (Jay-Z's "H-o-the-Izzo) lyric. So Bill is kinda one-sided. Rap makes some kids dumb... but a lot of things screw up kids.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

But you can say the same thing about rock. Kids going around saying "SKEET SKEET" is just as bad was wannabe 13 yr old punks singing "THIS IS THE ANTHEM GET YA DAMN HANDS UP!!" which is taken from a rap (Jay-Z's "H-o-the-Izzo) lyric. So Bill is kinda one-sided. Rap makes some kids dumb... but a lot of things screw up kids. [/b][/quote]
    What does "Skeet Skeet" have to do with rock? I think its from that damn lil john song.

Ander

What does "Skeet Skeet" have to do with rock? I think its from that damn lil john song. [/b][/quote]
    He said "this is the anthem throw your damn hands up" was originally from a rap song.

J-Flex

J-Flex Ambient

screaming about blood devil and kill is as worst as
    rapping about bling bling and hoes
    in my opinion...
    but hold on...
    hoes and bling bling do exsist but devils? :blink:

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

LIL JOHN CANT RAP OR DO ANYTHING :mellow: HES A PRODUCER AND THATS HOW HE MADE ALL HIS MONEY :p so of course thats all he can do.

Ander

:lol: True. In rap thats the producers job, be in the song doing some ad-libbing and being in the video. Best example: Pharrell from the Neptunes :lol:

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I've seen kids at my school start talking like complete dumbasses from listening to rap. I have never, ever, heard about anyone killing themselves or something after listening to metal.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Rap is sending part of young people today nowhere :lol: . What this music describes as a good lifestyle won't bring you far :lol: .

Justin V.

That's why I'm sticking to mixing a bunch of genres together to get the sound I want. I still rap over my music sometimes but.... jeez making a good rap is hella hard to do. You gotta respect Mike for being the Emcee in a rock band. No one else (Fred Durst) has done it right really. Writing lines like he does is crazy hard. I'm just glad all the lines between music are blurred so I can listen to whatever I want to.

ass_kicker

ass_kicker Banned

i agree... you dont need music like rap. all it says is get some bling bling and hoes and everything will be alright, which is buls*it.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I've seen kids at my school start talking like complete dumbasses from listening to rap. I have never, ever, heard about anyone killing themselves or something after listening to metal. [/b][/quote]
    Well the kid you quoted from must have listened to lil' jon because he made absolutely NO sense at all. We need a "Proper English" button on these forums, it would be amazing.

ella1432

ella1432 Well-Known Member

rap can be good if it's done by good rappers. some rappers kind of rap for the credit and the image, and start talking like idiots, so most people end up thinking that's what it's all about, which it isn't.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

Exactly :D

I don't really listen to rap. The stray song will creep onto my playlist, but for the most part the sound just doesn't appeal to me.

That said,I have tremendous respect for rappers who are innovative. 50 Cent is not innovative. Eminem is sometimes. Outkast are. Missy Elliot, Jurassic 6, Cypress Hill--they're all innovative.

I almost wish I could sit down with Chingy or one of those other mainstreamers who talk about their bitches n' hoes and just ask "Why? Is that what you like to listen to? Do you think a 13 year old boy should be out doing crack and and having sex? Are you just in it for the $$$?"

SO to get back on to the final subject, rap is music. Unfortunetly, there are a lot of people butchering it. There are people butchering any genre of course, but I think it's worse for rap because everyone, especially the older generations, assume all rap is like that. With rock at least, people usually understand that it's diverse.

If you ask me, rap is often given a bad name by artists like 50 Cent or Ludacris. Turn on the TV and you see a typical mainstream rap music video, with the rapper clad in "bling bling" gear being surrounded by a horde of half-naked (or fully naked) women. Have a glance through a 50 Cent lyric sheet and the lyrics aren't exactly very impressive either.That's why when I see people like 50 Cent rapping about guns, whores, pimps or gangs, I don't really see talent. I just see a macho asswipe who can't wait to assert his macho-ness. There was a point in my life when I thought "rap isn't music" BUT I was a kid then, I hadn't gotten into Linkin Park and I didn't know much about music anyway. My opinion has changed now though. I still don't consider guys like 50 Cent as "musicians" but rap is definitely a musical genre and I respect artists like Eminem who put thought into their music and definitely old-school rappers like House of Pain and Cypress Hill make really good music. So in short, I don't exactly hate rap because it's such a diverse genre with so many different artists and some rap songs can be very meaningful but when I tell people I don't like this genre, they'll know I mean people like 50, Ludacris, Snoop Dogg, Ja Rule, etc. Most people still assume that rap is all about women, gangs and bling-bling which was what I initially assumed. True hip-hop just doesn't get enough recognition I guess. :unsure:

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Well the kid you quoted from must have listened to lil' jon because he made absolutely NO sense at all. We need a "Proper English" button on these forums, it would be amazing. [/b][/quote]
    I know it's off topic but the new Internet Explorer Update has a spell check with it.. :whistle:

Justin V.

[/b][/quote]
    Listening to Lil' Jon doesn't make you dumb or have bad english. That would mean listening to Mud Vayne makes you just as unintelligible. Or that listening to Linkin Park makes you angsty and screamo. People trying to be witty just isn't working anymore. Too me... made up words/slang is just as bad as crappy lyrics period.

Ander

Alot of people were angsty and screamo before listening to Linkin Park. :p

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I don't know who said Rap Isn't Real Music, but they're completely wrong. Most likely their a rock fan that thinks real music is made with guitars, drums, vocals, etc.

That's the definition of Music. Music, in my opinion, is anything that has a beat to it. Yes, that includes these people that go around to schools banging on trashcans & brooms and whatnot. Music isn't limited to just guitars & drums and all that garbage.

Music is self expression, I don't see why a rapper can't have self expression. If he wants to make up words, let him. Although, I must admit, "crunk" has to be the dumbest word ever.

I think most people expect rap to be one black guy rapping about bitches & hoes and money and ####. But the truth is it's deeper than that. That's not how rap was meant to be potrayed. Go back and listen to some of the EARLY stuff. I'm not talking about Run DMC, I'm talking about groups WAY before that, like the Sugarhill Gang (I think that's what they were called, could be wrong). They wrote something like a 10 minute rap. Come on.

There is some good rap out there, like Canibus, Nas, Pharoahe Monch (sp?), Black Thought, etc.

Don't let the mainstream fool you.

Thank you. :)

I fully agree. Rap IS music but real music still has to fulfil some criteria and mainstream rap isn't doing the job. It's the same with art. What some abstract artists claim as art is definitely not art. In the same way, rappers going on about b*tches and hoes is not real music. But then again, I wouldn't say most mainstream rappers have a faintest clue about what music means. They're not interested in making music that's deep and meaningful, they're not interested in emotionally connecting with their listeners, they just want their paychecks and when that's all you care, the "music" you create is hardly going to be a masterpiece. The only reason why people latch onto the rap genre is because it's 'catchy' and you can dance along to it in a club.

I don't see how banging on a trash can is music. That's like saying a dot on a blank canvas is a work of art. It's cheating idle-minded people out of their money.