President Barack Obama/World News & Issues Discussion

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Todd, Jan 4, 2008.

1. El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

And YOU dare talk about Obama unsulting somebody..

2. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I am not meant to represent a country. I have no issue with people stating their opinions, I disagree with incorporating religion into the public sphere.

3. Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

So, if i'm literate and can read and understand.

Religion shouldn't have a massive choice in deciding Policys/Lawmaking/Ect. Right?

(Aside the inherit conditioning to be partial to your belief in making choices)

4. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Religion should not effect policy* (as, I think we can all see, this would have terrible consequences), receive public funding (people can donate to a religion, tax payers should not have their money going to a religion they do not support), or public endorsement (a figure meant to represent a large body of people should not do anything to alienate some of them on public time, without good reason).

*one's religious beliefs should not effect their policies, but if they are aware that, say, Muslims are possibly going to try to attack them due to their religious beliefs, the policies can still be made taking this into consideration.

5. Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

I don't mean to come off rude Esaul, but taking offense to something that is as relatively minor as this is just another case of political correctness gone mad (see the Cookie Monster being forced to eat cookies in moderation so as to not promote binge eating).

And please don't say it's not minor, he led a prayer with a relatively common line in it, it's not as if Obama or his priest have come out and said "...and if you're not part of that nation under God you will go to Hell".

Try living in a country like Iran where religion is really a part of the government. Please note I am an atheist myself.

6. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

People have different ideas as to how extensive the separation of church and state should be. It doesn't bother me when the President wants to inject his beliefs into a celebratory event. However, if the President starts using his religious faith to justify his actions (ala George W. Bush), that's when I get worried; that's when it goes too far, imo.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  7. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Quoted for great justice.

8. El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Also quoted for great justice.

9. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I understand it could be a lot worse, but it also could be a lot better. For me, having a mass prayer ceremony at one of the biggest public events of a President's cycle is not minor. It isn't just having the line there, it is the fact that they had religious figures speak, and lead everyone in a mass prayer. It is not minor.

I do understand what you mean about forced political correctness, and I often think it is bullshit. But this time I see it as actually mattering.

And even though he didn't say "...and if you're not part of that nation under God you will go to Hell" that is what he believes if he is a true Christian. He doesn't have to come right out and say it, anytime he alludes to his Christianity he alludes to that belief. And if he doesn't believe it, then he is ignoring a key part of his holy book, which shows his decision to pick and choose beliefs.

I understand this may not bother a lot of people, even atheists, but to me I find it VERY negative. I personally feel religion is very close to if not the biggest threat to the world today.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  10. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

You're wrong, because the biggest threat to the world today is bears.

11. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Divinely inspired killing machines vs godless killing machines...such competition :lol:

12. Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I agree 100% with Esaul. It's fine by me if you're religious, just practice it at home and not in public, especially if you're the president.

13. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

14. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

15. Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

I understand that's your viewpoint, I just can't help but feel he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

And let's be honest here, if he didn't include that line, a very large proportion of the US would probably get offended, whereas here the only people getting offended might be some non-Christian religious people, and a minority of atheists (as in a minority of those professing to be atheists, as opposed to atheists as a minority themselves).

16. Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Some morons on Fox News are already babbling about how he's not really president because he didn't have his hand on the bible when he took the oath the second time. Of course, that doesn't matter, because Obama could swear on a copy of Everybody Poops and he'd still be president. Imagine if he didn't say "So help me god" after the oath. He wouldn't be getting anything done because he would be defending himself from impeachment proceedings by the republicans.

I'm an Atheist and I really don't care if he said it. It doesn't bother me. We've come a long way since Daddy Bush said "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

If Obama can acknowledge that I am a real American because of my religious beliefs, then I'm happy.

17. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Already overturning the abortion funding ban, and closed down Guantanamo Bay. And he's only been President since Tuesday. Fucking amazing.

18. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

My blood was boiling when I heard all of the bull shit spewing from their mouths about Obama not having his hand on the bible. They need to give it up already and accept the fact that Obama is president now and not their precious Bush. They just won't let it go.

Most definitely!

19. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Yes, but the atheists have a good REASON to be offended, the Christians do not. It is like saying gay marriage should be outlawed because it will offend lots of Christians if it is allowed, and not as many gays if it isn't (as there are less gays than Christians).

And even if he said that line, he doesn't have to have ministers speak and everything.

He should act based on what is right and what is constitutional, not just cater to the tyranny of the majority. The constitution exists to protect the American populace against, amongst other things, itself in this sense. It should be upheld.

20. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

This is ridiculous. Obama is only just about a week into his presidency, and he's already making big changes, and what are we doing? Not praising him for these actions, but writing huge paragraphs about something that's been happening in this country since George Washington's time.

Seriously, get over it. America is a predominantly Christian nation. It's not going to change anytime soon.