Official 'Game of Thrones' Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Will, Apr 12, 2015.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Man this season blows. Just give us the goods already. Been waiting 5 seasons and they build up to one or two amazing episodes a year but then regress to slow pointless plots for the next year again. It just repeats over and over. Since I heard this season was going to spoil the book readers I was expecting a lot more story development since the showrunners wouldn't be constrained by the books anymore. But nah.

This season has had quite a few interesting moments, but it's still just all over the place with the editing and pacing.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

It's getting tough for me to buy into this all powerful Faith of the Seven bullshit. They were introduced in a rushed way and now you're telling me that they essentially have become the all mighty and powerful group in all of Westeros? So powerful they they can capture anyone they want without anybody from the King's side doing anything about it? Seems extremely farfetched.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Wait, what? It was King Tommen, by... er... suggestion from Cersei that the Faith be armed. They've got a royal decree to arrest whoever they want now, if what they're doing goes against their religious law (it doesn't have to go against the king's law). The Faith has been in the Seven Kingdoms for hundreds of years; it's not a new thing, it just hasn't been as prevalent before this season. They're the "new gods" when a character says "by the Old Gods and the New." And the Faith Militant had operated during the reign of the Targaryens, but were disarmed I believe by the Mad King. Cersei had them armed so she could take down Margaery, but that's obviously backfired on her now. So, yeah.

edit —

I watched the last couple episodes again. The Sand Snakes are a fucking joke. I don't know who decided those actresses were any good to play them because they're all horrible.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Agent

Yeah I get all that but this whole story arc feels so incredibly contrived. We were literally just introduced to to them a couple of episodes ago and now they are taking over the whole kingdom. It's just a lackluster story thread more than anything.

Will

Nah. Just King's Landing, really. The Faith Militant all converged on the capital once the High Sparrow got the word out that they were being reformed. Only the Silent Sisters remain in other places throughout the realm (they're basically nuns). The whole thing happened pretty quickly in the books, too, although not quite so quickly. Cersei allowed Tommen to give them more power than they'd ever had before without considering the fact that they might come after her, too. It was supposed to be her masterstroke, her diabolical plan, and it blew up in her face. I think it's been handled quite well on the show, all things considered, although I do think maybe the Faith Militant should've been introduced toward the end of last season and built up a little more slowly this season.

And if you ask me, I think Tommen's going to let his mother suffer because the truth of everything she's ever done is bound to come out at this point. I can't wait for her to be torn apart.

Will

According to Watchers on the Wall, a Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones fan site, casting calls have gone out for a couple very important characters for season six.

It's very likely that this refers to Euron Greyjoy, called the Crow's Eye, which means it's likely we'll also see Aeron and Victarion Greyjoy as well. For book readers: This means the situation near Highgarden and eventually in Slaver's Bay will become utterly goddamn ridiculous.

These are speculated to refer to Samwell Tarly's family: Randyll Tarly; his mother; his sister; and his little brother, Dickon. For book readers: This likely means that Sam will be leaving the Wall as he did in the books, and will likely be setting sail for Oldtown just the same, to learn how to be a maester so that he can properly replace Maester Aemon on the Wall.

This likely refers to Septon Meribald. For book readers: This likely means Brienne will in fact be visiting the Quiet Isle next season, and we might find out the fate of the Hound.

There are also casting calls for boys aged seven, eight, and twelve; early speculation suggests these could be younger versions of Ned Stark, Robert Baratheon, and Ned's older brother Brandon.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Yeah. I'm kind of annoyed with some of that cast stuff. Some plot lines I definitely would rather just be dropped entirely.

About the this season though.

Is there a plot hole or something?

In season 2, Gilly has lil Sam and Mrycella is sent to Dorne. In season 5, in Dorne Mrycella says that it has been years since she was there. And in Season 5, lil Sam is still a very small baby. What?

And also what exact is Briene's play? The more I think about it the less the candle in a tower thing makes sense. I mean, if you have a plan to rescue Sansa why not do it as soon as it is possible instead of waiting? She knows for a fact that Sansa must not be being treated well in Winterfell, and that the candle thing has a high change of causing even more damage. Currently the Boltons don't know if her friends have one guy or a 100 guys, so there is a huge element of surprise. The longer she waits to start the rescue attempt the more danger Sansa is in. So why even bring up the candle thing in the first place? All the Tarth women is doing is prolonging Sansa's suffering. It doesn't seem like she has a plan at all, which begs the question again why do the candle thing.

Will

I think Myrcella's line was a figure of speech. I think it's been a year and a half at the most since the end of season two. I don't know about the baby thing but it could just be an oversight, which admittedly would be a little weird for a high-budget show like Game of Thrones. But it might also end up playing into the whole Craster-giving-his-children-to-the-Others thing. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As far as Brienne's concerned: If she just rushes in all willy-nilly, she runs the risk of being killed outright, thus eliminating any chance for a rescue anyway. If she sees the candle, she can formulate a plan with Pod to get her inside the city; I'm sure she's been thinking of one anyway. But like I said, rushing in won't do anyone any good if she gets killed. Regardless, I still think Brienne's story's incredibly stupid this season, but I'm still hoping it ends up paying off in the end (especially if the one casting call I mentioned above does turn out to be Septon Meribald).

edit —

Then again, if Brienne's plan's to rescue Sansa if she's being mistreated, then not seeing a candle would simply compel her to assume that Sansa's not, in fact, being mistreated, and she'll move on to perhaps try to find Arya again — book spoiler: which might be why she ends up at the Quiet Isle and then eventually perhaps Essos and Braavos.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I used to hate the Sparrows, but now I don't. :lol:

The only thing I didn't like about the episode was Ghost showing up in the rapers/Gilly/Sam scene. Using the wolves as a deus ex machina – yet again? I was excited to see how that situation would resolve, and all we got was what we'd gotten before – a couple of times before, mind you.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

That was awesome.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Yeahhhhh that was the best episode all season. Mouth agape for the last 15 mins.

Will

Jesus shitfucking Christ. That was some Lord of the Rings quality work right there. Damn.

Agent

Intense episode. It's amazing how far television shows have come. This could rival any battle scene in any film of today.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu that was one of the best GoT episodes for me.

They managed to somehow make a battle feel more tenseful than the fight at Blackwater and last season's Crows vs Wildlings combined, holy shit.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Jesse

Well.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Hoooooly shit. That was like Titanic meets The Walking Dead meets MIND FUCK.

One of my favourite episodes so far. Awesome.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Would have been nice for just one person to use that dragon glass. Wtf

Jesse

Years gone by mentioned several times, Gily's son is still a baby....

Agent

:lol: Lmao ever thought about this actually

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Maybe on a technical scale, yes. But as a piece of storytelling, A Song of Ice and Fire kicks its ass both in literature and in motion picture. I actually came into the thread planning to say: "And some people still say The Lord of The Rings is better than Game of Thrones."