Nice site.. some comments.

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Rancher, Feb 1, 2004.

Rancher

Rancher Member

I hate it when people talk to me like that.. 1.2/1.3 has gone final long ago, and the current version under development is 2, lol.. and you can't install that even if you wanted to.

I suppose, but I've had bad experiences with 1.1.2 It started to drop tables, and would crash on the slighest weird query thrown at it. :p

elie

elie Well-Known Member

I hate it when people talk to me like that.. 1.2/1.3 has gone final long ago, and the current version under development is 2, lol.. and you can't install that even if you wanted to.

I suppose, but I've had bad experiences with 1.1.2 It started to drop tables, and would crash on the slighest weird query thrown at it. :p [/b][/quote]
    I've always wondered why LPA never upgraded to the next versions of the IPB forum software, especially since they've hit 2 stable releases (final ones) since 1.1.2.

Why not have a fast reply? I mean, it just gives the user a little easier of a time browsing the forum, and staff should take every chance they get to please them. I don't see Rancher's comments as "slamming", just simply stating the obvious.

Running my own forums though, there are times were you just don't see any features worth upgrading for, re-skinning and going through the hassle. Especially since alot of webmasters use their forum as a custom CMS system, where they manage their site through various private/public forums. Before upgrading, the webmaster has to consider how important the new release is, because it may result in a lot of re-coding of the actual site pages to work with the new forum software.

As for me, I'm still running my 1.2 on my site, cause 1.3 has nothing that caught my eye, and i'm not about to re-skin and re-do my site coding for that. But with v2.0, it's being released with some sort of easy skin convertor, which should be a nice plus.

But anyways, welcome to the LPA Rancher!

Rancher

Rancher Member

Thanks. LPA does use a CMS system based on the forums doesn't it? I guess it'll be a pain to upgrade if so..

elie

elie Well-Known Member

If it does use a CMS system through the forums, it all depends on how different v2 is....

Considering v2 now has unlimited subforums and other new features, that might have had effect on forum view and the way things are organized. But my CMS worked fine from 1.1.2 to 1.2...

But who knows how much of a change v2 brings internally?

Alex

Alex Ambient

Yes it's a custom CMS/Templating/Skin system I wrote which rides on top of the forums DB. Its very slick ;)

I dont see how a re-write for v2 will be hard. I code for a living, so im not worrying :innocent:

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

Yes it's a custom CMS/Templating/Skin system I wrote which rides on top of the forums DB. Its very slick ;)

I dont see how a re-write for v2 will be hard. I code for a living, so im not worrying :innocent: [/b][/quote]
    v2? :mellow:
    *completely confused*
    *should've read the thread before posting*

Alex

Alex Ambient

v2? :mellow:
    *completely confused*
    *should've read the thread before posting* [/b][/quote]
    whats after v1.x? ;)

elie

elie Well-Known Member

whats after v1? ;) [/b][/quote]
    Do you take us for idiots? v3...come on silly!

Anyways, Alex, to back up LPA, you just export the sql data from PHPMYADMIN. ? Or do you do it from the ACP? Cause, i'm guessing if you back the forums up, you're at the same time backing up your content (considering most of the site's content is in the form of posts) ?

Alex

Alex Ambient

Do you take us for idiots? v3...come on silly!

Anyways, Alex, to back up LPA, you just export the sql data from PHPMYADMIN. ? Or do you do it from the ACP? Cause, i'm guessing if you back the forums up, you're at the same time backing up your content (considering most of the site's content is in the form of posts) ? [/b][/quote]
    I use Shell Access or SSH to backup the database

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

I like the forums the way it is for now. If they come out with a V.2 anytime that would be awsome too. As for the rest. I have no idea what your talking about so i'm just gonna leave. :lol:

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

Hey i'd just like to express my opinion on this. I love the forum as it is now because it is incredibly unique and different to other forums. I really can't stand quick reply and i don't see the point in it. As (i think) Avenger said it won't hurt to just hit 'add reply'. That is my view on the subject. I have no idea about that whole v1.1.2 thing but that is what i think about things said earlier in the topic.

Thankyou and goodbye ^_^

animal

animal Banned

i heard on the lpmb that the new lpa(they were calling it lpaf+ i think) is supposed to come out soon...someone posted a pic of the supposdly new layout...it looked pretty cool. it was like an update of the current layout and used greenish brown colors and reds. except it was only up for a little bit..someone removed it

i cant wait!!

Hybrid Soldier

Hybrid Soldier Y2K

they would post this on the lpmb? eh wtf...........

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

I doubt they'd post it there, we'd have heard about it here before :D .

animal

animal Banned

I doubt they'd post it there, we'd have heard about it here before :D . [/b][/quote]
    i dont know if it was real or not, someone might have just made it as a joke. but the color scheme looked like LPA's current backround using brownish green...it did look really awesome!!

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

i dont know if it was real or not, someone might have just made it as a joke. but the color scheme looked like LPA's current backround using brownish green...it did look really awesome!! [/b][/quote]
    Your right, the latest LPA is awesome. I can guarantee it's the best design I've done. What I can't guarantee, is that you saw a joke... :whistle:

Ander

yea, that's what I thought Alex meant by v2 :lol:
    <!--QuoteBegin--Omar
    @Feb 2 2004, 03:30 PM
    Your right, the latest LPA is awesome. I can guarantee it's the best design I've done. What I can't guarantee, is that you saw a joke... :whistle:[/quote]
    :mellow: :shifty:

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

:mellow: :shifty: [/b][/quote]
    I sense somthing mysterioous... :shifty: :chemist:

Ander

I sense somthing mysterioous... :shifty: :chemist: [/b][/quote]
    they're going to replace the LPA.... :shifty: with vodka :chemist:

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

they're going to replace the LPA.... :shifty: with vodka :chemist:[/b][/quote]
    I wasn't thinking of that when I said it. :lol:

But vodka's nice anyways.. :chemist: :shifty: :whistle: :mellow: