New Song from Mike Shinoda 'About You (feat. blackbear)' Out Now

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Apr 26, 2018.

Paradigm

Paradigm Member

Yes I agree. The fact that Mike solely has 100% creative control over all of his songs is going to make this experience unique.

I like the new song. It's not my favorite yet but like every single song I have heard they are all growers and take multiple listens.

If I had to do the ranking thing I would just put them in letter grades:

A: Over Again, Nothing Makes Sense Anymore

B: Place To Start, Watching As I Fall, Crossing A Line

B- : About You (for now)

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Fucking. PREACH.

HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

Honestly, I dislike it.

Blake likes this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I know he's doing it for himself. That has nothing to do with what I said. I'm just commenting on how I enjoy the music like people do when new music comes out.

Iopia likes this.
    iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

I like it, love that were seeing a more personal side of Mike in general, love the emotional rawness of the songs released. Before Chester died I was hoping we got more songs lyrically like Halfway Right in the future. The post traumatic songs and videos aren't the most polished but that's kind of the point, it's just raw realness and I love it because it's so honest and I'm glad Mike is willing to share them with us, we don't deserve this man.

CannaKippers likes this.
    Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

This track is really interesting both instrumentally and lyrically.
    I also love how the bridge is way different to the rest of the track.

The album is going to so emotional in its full force.

MarcusArelius

MarcusArelius Well-Known Member

This is Mike doing what Mike loves to do. He's making a 16 track CD in under 11 months. This album is most likely more for him, than it is for us. With that said, I thought that last line in his vocal was significant:
    "I'm afraid that maybe I've said everything there is to say
    Maybe I should make an exit while they're ways to get away"

iamsatan likes this.
    Vinifeijo

Vinifeijo i'm dancing with matt damons

Don't worry, dude. This song was probably written right after Chester's death, and at that moment Mike had all those thoughts on his head.. lots of doubt on how to move on. He told the Post Traumatic album is like a timeline progression, the first songs were written near to the trauma and then the last songs are more recent, with less grief and sadness on it.

So we basically until now just listened to the first half darker songs, the brighter ones are yet to be heard.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Damn, the raw emotions he's pouring into the song, whether it's the lyrics, his delivery, or the production, hit hard as fuck. Mike is pouring himself out onto these tracks, and at a time where he is most vulnerable. Gotta give props to this man.

Also, blackbear did pretty good on the song. He can be very hit or miss, but I liked what he brought to the song.

Sasuke likes this.
    Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I think this song is cathartic and well put together. I like Mike's part more than Blackbears, but I'm not gonna discredit Blackbear's contribution to the track. This song has been received well so far. I love how there is an underlying theme in the song about dealing with the hand you've been dealt. It's a good message.

brady likes this.
    Anthony Maroon

Anthony Maroon Well-Known Member

This more or less sums up how I feel about this album.

I didn't really have expectations about the album and what it's going to sound like, because to me, this is more of an art project as an emotional outlet for both Mike and the fans.

A Thousand Suns took, what, three or four years of writing, refining, and polishing? Compared to that, we're looking at 16 tracks written and released over the course of six months to a year. It's going to be something we haven't really seen before from Mike. Some people are gonna be on board with that, and some might not be, and that's okay.

I view these songs as being far more stream of consciousness than than the fully baked and produced music we've seen up to now. They're going to be rough around the edges, and I'm cool with that. I was okay with supporting Mike in this as a creative endeavor, and to be honest, I'm also enjoying the music a lot more than I might have expected. It's hard to believe we still have ten tracks left on the album to hear, but I'm looking forward to it.

brady and Bernuviel like this.
    Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Well damn.

One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: My opinion

Not gonna beat around the bush. But I hate trap with a fiery passion. Mike doing it is a slight redeeming factor, I guess. But its still probably my least favorite track Mike has ever done.

Michele likes this.
    Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

More trap please. This is my favorite PT track so far. Just hard as bricks.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Minus

And to round out the above two posts, I don't have an opinion on trap and would not care what Mike decides regarding future trap endeavors.

Dekar and Anthony Maroon like this.
    BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I think the same thing, which is why I was really impressed with the first 3 songs he released. It felt like they were just him spilling out his emotions, yet it had as much replay value and catchiness as ever. I don't feel the same about about you, but I can also tell it's a really different sound full of artistic merit. This album isn't gonna have ATS-level stuff, but it seems like it's gonna be far from just spilling words onto beats. There's a lot of different sounds and the melodies are legitimately catchy and powerful. Nothing makes sense anymore sounds like it would have been an LP fan-favorite. I wonder if there are even more demos not associated with this album. I'm betting he's probably got rock and acoustic and ballady demos that aren't fitting on this record that we'd love. The guy just never stops working and trying out new stuff, which is awesome.

Minus

If anything I hope this album proves to the public that Mike is a Production God.

brady and ciao_fiv like this.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Pick a side. These are the Trap Wars.

Mike's inspiration for this song?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Tempest for an Angel

Tempest for an Angel Member

Growing more with each listen. Can't wait to hear the progression of all songs together. Which leads me to something I've been wondering since a while: Crossing a Line is the furthest track in the list that we've got so far and I wonder if the album follows a mental timeline he went through from start to finish of Post Traumatic. That would mean that the songs after CAL should slightly shift in lyrical theme and mood. Which is very exciting since the songs are already so diverse from each other. I'm curious as to how he chose to close the Traumatic experience, record wise.

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Love the 'stream of consciousness' idea - I think that's dead on!

Sure! And in that same spirit, I'm reading your comment and engaging with it and throwing my own thoughts into the ring. Nothing more.