My review of ATS

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by ana, Aug 17, 2010.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

1. I don't care if there are only "full" 9 songs. Tons of albums have only have 9 and quite a lot only have 8. And that's total, no interludes whatsoever. The most recent I can think of is Japanese Cartoon's "In the Jaws of the Lords of Death" which is only nine tracks, three of them being under 3 minutes, but it's STILL a great album imo.

2. Interludes are always an awesome plus.

3. Short tracks do not necessarily mean "instrumental" (not that instrumentals would be a problem :) )

4. I'm somewhat taken aback by the guest appearances. Not that I think I will hate it but it's just that I admired LP for doing all of their music and such by themselves previously and this just came out of nowhere. If it's good though, who cares?

5 I can almost promise you there is no autotune. But if there were, as long as it's used creatively and uniquely what the fuck does it matter? Auto-tune does not automatically = Ke$sha or T-pain. BTW, even Green Day used Auto-tune in their song "21 Guns" but you can barely even notice it which I'm sure you'll barely notice it if there is any on A Thousand Suns.

6. Length of album shouldn't really matter, ( A. You're getting 15 tracks. B. It's brand new music that branches further away from anything that the band has done previously. C. It's some of the longest tracks the band have released. D. It's longer than any of their studio albums excluding the remix album Reanimation.)

7. Mike is more prominent. A lot of people felt that was the ONLY problem with MTM, the lack of Mike Shinoda. But with this album it seems that he's become more confident with his voice and his ability to pull off the song live. I know Linkin Park would never write something they knew for a fact they weren't ever going to play at their concerts. (excluding b-sides and hybrid theory EP, etc) Even though Easier to Run was only played once as far as I know, at least they tried it.

8. Yes, they'll probably get a lot of backlash for this album but I say, Bring It On! I mean the fewer the teenie-bopper and musically illiterate, the better. Weed out all the fans who are adverse to change and also find a way to do the same for those who follow a band unconditionally. It's one thing to like music of a band and it's something completely different to like a band because of a name.

9. The artwork is already amazing, so take that into consideration with everything we already know and have heard and the album can be in no way short of a masterpiece.

10. Finally, only a few people have heard it, and I'm sure You (as in most people on this forum) aren't one of them. Complaining about an album that you haven't even listened to is completely ridiculous. I'm all for freedom of speech, yes even negative speech such as "I hate it and think it sucks" but there's no way you can judge it yet without being close-minded.

steve12

steve12 Well-Known Member

Chester rapping? Chester screaming only twice? More Mike than Chester? Fort Minor featuring Linkin Park? Hmmmmmmm this could be too much change for my liking. Still, all for hearing something new!

Good review

murphyLP

murphyLP The blood of innocence burning in the skies

What more can I say?

Perfect like always Jesse

TLC

TLC Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for this review!

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Ana, maybe the song number 7 isn't that bad after you listen it couple of times, probably it's just your first reaction... When I first heard Valentine's Day and In Pieces, I was like: this sucks! But now I can't get enough of them...
    or it sucks completely. : ) we'll see

lpfaneki

lpfaneki i don't know what's worth fighting for

i am with you ;)

i can't say more ;)

DecanoLP

DecanoLP Active Member

This is an epic post, exactly my thoughts. And if I remeber correctly they even played Easier To Run at the LP Underground and P:R 2003 Tour^^

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

What guest appearances??

Jesse

Ana said that on a song there is a female voice that sings "Don't save us, we're a broken people living under a loaded gun"

and as there are no females in Linkin Park, there is no option other than to assume that 1. It is a guest appearance or 2. It's a member of the band that sounds highly female. (Chester using falsetto?) 3. It's a greatly altered and digitally manipulated voice of a band member.

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Or it could just be a sample / recording?

Ex: Female voice that says the poem for the 2004 Don't Stay intro.

Or could very well be Chester using falsetto, as you said.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

HOLY %*£"$!!!!

going by that reveiw, ATS is gonna be like nothing we've ever heard before.
    The DIVERSITY sound emense.

Thanks a billion Ana for sharing with us! Even though u didnt like Everything, it sounds like u were still blown away.

Awesome to know Brad guitars (tho minimal) are still there, but heavier than the've been before :headbang:

September cant come soon enough

Jesse

I consider someone else singing a guest even if it is a sample, also the only song made for a studio album that I can think of that includes samples that aren't made directly by LP is 'She Couldn't" and it wasn't included on any album. (legal reasons) I admired Linkin Park because they made their samples from scratch and here it seems they've got someone else to help them out. Not that I think it will sound bad as I'm actually excited to hear it if it is true it is not a band members voice. It's just it makes me a bit disheartened and is the only thing on the entire album I may be worried about. But like I said previously, if it sounds good it shouldn't matter.

AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

Very well put together Ana considering the circumstances ^_^

I think this album WILL be the best one yet because the guys have no leash on them, dont need to fulfill expectations, and are just doing what comes naturally to them - and when a group of talented guys, led by (in my opinion) one of the most talented men in music right now (mike) do that, the product is gonna be outright inspirational in terms of artistic value. Ana's review makes me believe this even more so. It will be grand.

on another note...

dear mr. shinoda - when will the fans who pre-ordered get previews and such as you promised? please. soon. the anticipation is killing us. thank you kind sir.
    ps. hurry the $!@& up! kthnxbai

ana

ana anaPHX LPA VIP

after a night of sleep and realizing what I've heard: I LOVE THE ALBUM

LP is incredible: I used to be a big big fan of the HT/Meteora sound until last year. I still love this music, but since 2009 I'm listening to Drum N Bass, Dubstep, Alternative Rock and Club Songs and guess what? LP's new album just features elements of the music Im currently into.

I cannot stop saying that this is the best album Linkin Park has ever made. Its not a rock album but it has a message and it's like a story. If you close your eyes and listen to the album you will feel like you were in a dream....

When They come for me is my favourite. Mike's rap is just awesome..Im not a robot, I'm not a monkey...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    Niklas

Niklas BadaBinge LPA VIP

this. Jesse maid the perfect statemend n this. thank you.

AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

Idk whether to hug you or punch you in the throat - i hate you for having heard the CD but i love you for having heard the CD!

ARGH1!!@!@ *head explodes*

Jesse

I am a mountain of jealously that resides beside a river of envy.

lpfaneki

lpfaneki i don't know what's worth fighting for

There will be no guests .... i can see that not happening ... so... like Anna said ..... we heard a speach by oppenheimer ... so the female voice is just like a speach or a phrase .... by someone ...

Shayan86

Shayan86 Well-Known Member

Amazing :cool: Who cares if it's not a rock album? As long as it sounds good, original, artistic and diverese then that's all that matters.

20. LP/DBS/FMFreak8908

LP/DBS/FMFreak8908 Well-Known Member

:D:D:headbang::headbang::headbang::DTHIS REVIEW JUST MADE ME ALMOST "FAINT"!!..SO PUMPED FOR THE ALBUM 27 DAYS AWAY!!