More Impt: Tell us what you think

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Omar, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Oh man.. You come home late at night, you're drunk, you see that your computer is on, you see LPA page open and you just sit there and post dumb shit. You don't plan it for weeks. You don't think about it. You just do it (nike hehe). Simple as.

Since we've figured that out the other question is, should I be banned if I do some stupid shit when I'm drunk? We've also already figured out the answer to that - yes.

Now if it's all clear can we please move on to something other that drunk-posting?

2. Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Thank you.

3. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Ok fine, fair enough. I'll shut up now.

4. Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Yes, please stop going off topic. If you have nothing to contribute, stay out of the thread. Thank you. :)

5. Cale.

Cale. Banned

Dusan hits the nail on the head.

And in any case.

I told thee what I think. But it got back to drunk posting again.

6. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I think this thread is more aligned to what the admins can do to make getting on LPA a better eperience, not how the forums are organized. That's more of an organizational issue, and even then, there are many people (including myself) who like how it is organized already. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You could always try creating a separate topic. This is the Feedback Forum, you know (which has less posts in it than Tech Talk, Writer's Cove, and Artist's Gallery, by the way).

7. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Not to be confrontational but I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth, or so to speak. There's a difference between what I did post and saying Luke's full of shit. :)

with that said:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  8. Luke

Difference or not it was still disrespectful Dean.

I'd rather not go into it though. Lets keep the peace eh.

9. Dean

The way I put it was, and for that I apologise. It was nothing personal either if that means anything.

10. Luke

Well at least you apologised. I havn't got beef with anyone here, you included. I think we should all just take a breather and get this place back to the way it was. I havn't posted here much this week and in all honesty the quiet is alot better than the drama. :)

11. Dean

I agree.

12. Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

I'm sorry but I just have to get this out:

I doubt you could claim the LPA to NOT be some form of a family, because ALL communities are.

It's basically human nature. You grow up, you look for new 'families'. The first family you find, is your class in school. The next family would be the clique and the one after that is the family you find at your workplace.

Then there are 'families' you have on the side. Forums, clubs, sportteams and so on. Of course, everybody goes back to their roots at some point, but until then, we stick with our other families, because we mostly feel comfortable with them.

I personally like coming to the LPA just to read what other's post. Just like family reunions. I don't have to stand in front of the family and get their attention to know I'm a part of it. I'll just sit and listen to my relatives talk about this and that.

(This may be a little inaddequate but I tried making a point and hope I succeeded in doing so.)

13. Dean

It's definitely much more of a community than most message boards.

14. Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

I take it, you agree? ^_^

15. Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Its kinda weird when you can say fuck, goddammit, oh jesus fucking christ but you cant say gay and retard while you will offend much more people by saying goddammit.

16. Dean

Pretty much :)

17. El Muerto

True

18. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I think it's more about religious freedom for goddamnit.

Saying the G and the R offends people not on a religious level, but on a personal level. As someone who teaches and is related to someone who is mentally challenged, I get pretty offended. Just like homosexuality, mental retardation is a condition, and using those words in a negative light gets people mad. They can't help it, and I've personally seen what happens when those words are used in front of people who have those conditions or is that sexual orientation. It hurts.

Goddamnit... it's more of a religious tolerance thing. I don't want to get into it because I'm not Christian or the like.

19. El Muerto

One third of the people in the world are Christian, and around 85% of world's population is religious. But as long as we don't hurt homosexuals' feelings it's all fine.

And I don't know how much you know about religion, but this can also offend on a personal level. It's doesn't offends me, but I know that saying that God is stupid or using God's name in vain all the time (which is common here) can offend a lot of people and get them mad.

I don't really care about all this because, honestly, nothing here can really offend me. But if you already want to prevent people from being offended so much, maybe you should take this into consideration.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  20. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I don't think you intend it as such, but saying that homosexuality is a condition makes it sound bad. I don't think you meant it that way, but I don't think describing it as a condition is the right way to put it.

But I agree with you, saying words that are commonly used as derogatory terms that are related to homosexuality and mental retardation offends people on a very personal level. I had a teacher in 8th grade whose daughter was a mentally challenged person, and he always scolded people for saying the word, 'retard' in class. You never know who you may encounter on these forums, and for all you know, there are probably several people here who are in some way or another close to somebody who has that condition.

As far as homosexuality is concerned, there are people on this forum who are in fact either homosexual or bisexual. 'Gay' has been given a very negative definition over the past several years and more often than not, you're going to find a lot of people who use it in the sense that something is lame or stupid. I know that I always tell people who use it that way to start using the word 'stupid' because then they realize that using gay in that way does come off as offensive. It's offensive to me because even though I am not homosexual, I have a few friends who are and they don't appreciate people insulting their sexual preference.

The rules having people limit themselves in how they say those words are here for reasons like those. You don't want to risk offending anybody. The LPA is supposed to come off as a friendly community, as well as an intelligent and aware community. I can't tell you enough how much I avoid other forums simply because the level of intelligence in posts on other forums does not even come close to that of these forums, and difference in awareness is the same. It is one of the many reasons why I really appreciate these forums.

I don't think that using those words correctly, like "Elton John is gay" or "My sister is retarded" (if your sister is actually mentally challenged) are really breaking the rules, but I think people would prefer you to say "Elton John is homosexual" and "My sister is mentally challenged" because it sounds more intelligent and in some ways less offensive.

That's why those rules are there, and I don't really think anybody should be questioning them.

- - -

As far as "God damn it" is concerned, I've never been around anybody who has found it offensive. If there are people, I apologize but I don't think it comes off as offensive as the words the LPA doesn't allow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.