More Impt: Tell us what you think

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Omar, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I think we should put all this talk to rest now. It's not helping nor is it productive in any way. :)

2. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

It's helping me <_<...although I would prefer to see it in Serious Chat, as it is unlikely to help the site (outside of providing an topic for intelligent conversation).

I see no reason to put an end to an intelligent discussion though.

3. Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

That is a horrible argument. By definition, a nigger (and apologies in advance for using this terrible word, but I'm making a point here) is a black person, much like a retard is a stupid person (which I strongly disagree that retarded means stupid). But would it be acceptable to call the black shirt I'm wearing right now a nigger shirt? Or a black car a nigger car? No, it's completely unacceptable, just like using retarded to mean stupid is completely unacceptable.

4. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

No, because a nigger is a "black person" where as retarded, as shown by Sylar's dictionary definition, can apply to things other than a person. A "nigger shirt" would mean "a black person shirt" which is either a really poor way to say " a shirt for black people" or it is just nonsense.

The word "nigger"'s sole use is to be offensive. The word "retarded" described a certain condition or phenomenon.

5. Todd

Alright, fine, negro, which does just mean black but is just as offensive.

I don't even know why this is up for discussion, we are not changing that rule. If you can't get your thoughts across without using "retarded" or "gay" then you seriously need to go expand your vocabulary.

6. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Would the words "gay" and "retarded" be accepted into a real world business setting? The answer is no. If your superior heard you use those words you would be fired/written up before you could even say those words again. If you are wondering why I am using employment for this particular situation in this thread it’s because it’s a perfect example on how your character as a person comes into check when you use those words. Using hateful words, whether it be in print or by word of mouth, gets you nowhere and ultimately makes you out to be nothing more than an ignorant person. Who wants to be associated with someone who demeans people with such hateful words? Even if you don’t mean it or you are joking around, it’s still no excuse. One person’s joke could be another person’s dignity.

I also want to point out that The Linkin Park Association does have a reputation to uphold. We all know that members of Linkin Park view this board. We do let a lot of things slide, especially in the Random Thoughts threads, but we still have to remain some dignity and professionalism to this board. I would like to think running a board with some ground rules to follow looks better than running a board with no rules at all and everyone can run a muck. This website has gotten a lot of recognition and if we, the staff, do not want to allow such words as “gay” and “retarded” on here, then that is what stands. We do appreciate your opinions, whether you think so or not, but I personally think you all have to look at this on another level. If not using those words and fighting to understand why we don’t want those words used here is that much of a problem to certain individuals here, then I think the problem doesn’t lie with how the staff handle things but rather than a deeper personal problem that lies with our visitors who want to use those words.

And if this was all said before in the previous pages, then here it is again.

7. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I've seen scientific papers say things alone the lines of "..which was added to retard the movement of the DNA fragments across the gel".

I also do not think we would use words like "poop" or "fuck" in a business setting either, but they are still allowed. But I have said countless times I have no desire to use these words, and am simply curious as to the rational behind taking offense to them. If you saw a large group of people was horrible offended by the usage of the word "fish", would you not be somewhat curious as to why?

Ne·gro /ˈnigroʊ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[nee-groh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, plural -groes, adjective
    –noun
    1. Anthropology. a member of the peoples traditionally classified as the Negro race, esp. those who originate in sub-Saharan Africa: no longer in technical use.
    –adjective
    2. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of one of the traditional racial divisions of humankind, generally marked by brown to black skin pigmentation, dark eyes, and woolly or crisp hair and including esp. the indigenous peoples of Africa south of the Sahara.
    3. being a member of the black peoples of humankind, esp. those who originate in sub-Saharan Africa.

Same thing, it doesn't "just mean black". Furthermore, the word "retarded" is not supposed to be insulting in and of itself, unlike nigger and possibly Negro are.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  8. Todd

Negro is Spanish for "black", nothing more, nothing less.

9. Andrea

If you were gay or retarded and the words "retarded", "gay" or even "faggot" got thrown around frequently I'm sure you would be offended and express something to be done. Any decent person would. I'm guessing you are neither one of those words, which is why you are not understanding as how someone can take offense to something like that.

10. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

But we don't speak Spanish here.

I support gay being banned. It is hard to say how I would feel if I was a retard I guess, as retards don't always tend to be correct on rational matters, but as a rational human being I see no reason for the word to be offensive and am curious as to why no one can provide me one.

11. Andrea

I just provided you with a reason as how it is offensive. You are completely missing the point and are not allowing yourself to accept and absorb information that is staring right back at you.

12. Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

Some People Do. But Seriously

The Words Aren't NEEDED to be Said. Yes some people Get Offended, Yes some people Don't.

What Andrea Said Is Exactly True And Even When around People you Know, Not Just Work Environments. Alternative Language That Can be POSSIBLE Insults Just Make you Look Close-Minded.

13. Todd

You're really trying to find anything to dig yourself out of this hole, aren't you? Look, doesn't matter if it's English or Spanish, whether it means "black person" or simply "black" IT'S OFFENSIVE AND SHOULD NOT BE USED. EVER. Just like the word "retarded"

And going by your flawed logic anyways, if saying "that's a nigger shirt" is incorrect, because that means "that's a black person shirt", wouldn't calling some things retarded be just as grammatically incorrect? If retard means "stupid person" and you say "Well, that's a retarded rule the LPA has", aren't you saying "Well, that's a stupid person rule the LPA has"?

Look, maybe the dictionary says retard means to hold back or slow down. But the dictionary also says that "faggot" means a bundle of sticks, "gay" means happy and "chink" means an opening or crack. But all of those words have evolved into something else and have become much more offensive, just like the word "retard"

14. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I am just wondering why people are insulted by it is all. As I said, if the word "fish" seemed to nonsensically insult a large number of people, you would probably be curious as to why that was the case.

I didn't say retard meant a stupid person, just that it meant slow or under developed. I commonly see the word retarded use in scientific literature in the sense of holding things back (so if you want to be all professional like Andrea, scientific literature is a good place to look for some inspiration). That definition of the word is not out of use.

I want to be clear though, Todd. Are you of the opinion that saying "My sister is retarded/gay" is offensive even if she is actually retarded/gay and you are just stating a fact?

15. Todd

If you're stating a fact, then it's fine, which has always been the case here. We've never warned anyone for using either of those words in an accurate, factual statement about someone. If you're calling someone gay or retarded as an insult, then it's not acceptable. Period.

16. Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

I Think Most People Wouldnt Mind If You Used them In A Defining Manner But Not Insulting.

But If that Was the Case. Wouldnt you Rather Said Mentally Handicapped Or Homosexual?

I would if someone I knew was like that, So I am proper towards them. and anybody else that could be categorized like that

17. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I agree. It is if I were to use the term "retard" meaning "to slow, etc." on an inanimate object or the like, that I don't see it as in any way offensive, used often in professional circles, and really not something to be warned over.

"When person X left the band their climb to fame was quickly retarded" or "Christianity is a primitive belief system written by desert nomads a couple thousand years ago. As such it's moral system's growth is clearly retarded due to the stubbornness of the individuals faith". I am curious...why can't I say that? How is it offensive to retards or anyone associated with them?

Also, not related to the debate, but fun fact:

According to the Safe Schools Coalition of Washington's Glossary for School Employees:
    “ Homosexual: Avoid this term; it is clinical, distancing and archaic. Sometimes appropriate in referring to behavior (although same-sex is the preferred adj.). When referring to people, as opposed to behavior, homosexual is considered derogatory and the terms gay and lesbian are preferred, at least in the Northwest [of the United States]."

So in some cases the word "homosexual" is seen as MORE offensive than the word "gay". I just found that interesting.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  18. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

That is a completely different use of the word, and that nullifies the point you were trying to make.

19. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

No, it means to slow down...in people if you slow down their mental development it will make them stupid...but in other situations the slowing down will have a different effect.

20. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

esaul17, I've advised you before, you're fighting an argument that wont win. Just let it go man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.