More Impt: Tell us what you think

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Omar, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I definitely didn't mean it that way at all. I didn't write it the way it was worded in my head.

2. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Alright. I thought so. Just making sure. :)

3. Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

Well, I think certain words and phrases have been used for several decades (at least) and have since taken on a new connotation -- or, at least one that deviates from "literalness."

"Gay" and "retard" are more insulting in that they are relatively new defamatory remarks, and as such still hold a fairly literal meaning. Calling someone a retard is to say he or she suffers from mental disabililty, but to exlaim "God damnit" doesn't usually invoke hate against God, at least where I'm from.

Nevertheless, you guys are correct.

4. Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

I just wanted to throw in here...some scientists are trying to prove that homoseuality is indeed a mental condition...just like, some mental quirk.

5. Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

I don't know, the whole thing about homophobic comments is pretty strict in my opinion. I could call someone gay for posting a picture of him in pink clothes or saying he doesn't want to do Monica Belucci (same for girls), and I don't think any gay person would be offended (I'm friends with a few homosexuals myself). The whole measure is pretty much more discriminating than protecting them, I mean you can taunt someone for being too macho, but not for being too feminine- that's kinda weird to me. I don't consider them to be different or anything, it's just something I joke about in the same way I joke about tall people, fast-talking people, people who use Internet Explorer (kidding =P) and so on.

The "retard" thing is different, because the word is indeed a term for mentally challenged people. However, I don't think anyone using it has in mind something like "heh, let's make fun of helpless retarded kids", they're just using it along the lines of "stupid". Of course, you could use "stupid" itself, but I don't know, I'm for bringing political correctness down. Hell, I'm even one of those finding the "flaming on the internet is like running at the special olympics" joke funny, and no one can accuse me of being an animal, considering what I want to work as includes treating mental ilnesses.

All I'm saying is it's just a matter of how people take these comments, especially the one writing it. That depends on society values and stuff, the same way God Damnit is nowadays pretty normal, and I think a forum like LPA is ready to do it. I mean, I'd be surprised if people around would be offended by such words (considering "gay" is used as a joke term, for a example), and if there's any, they can post their opinion.

Not really, unless they're eager to prove half the animal kingdom is comprised of lunatic animals as well.

6. Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

When I say that someone is a retard I dont mean he's a retard, just thats he's being stupid. When I call someone numbnuts, I dont mean that he has numb nuts, just that he's being stupid.

7. Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

That's a rather dumb comparison. The rule isn't going to change about that word and quite frankly, I don't see why you can just do without saying it. It's not that hard.

8. Chris

I've never used those words because it isnt allowed on here. I just found it stupid that you can insult a complete religion and people who believe in God, while you cant say gay and retard.

9. Chris.

Well, while I think Christianity is a load of shit, I do agree with you on that part.

10. Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

They're actually trying to figure out if it's a mental thing that is there since the person's birth. Something that they're born with and can't control. That sounds like a condition to me.

Personally, I think that people are influenced by society, and that it isn't something from birth, but there are scientists trying to prove that it is a condition.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  11. Chris

True :lol: But people still believe in it and some get offended when I say Jesus fucking Christ or goddammit.

12. Chris.

I don't see anyone on here getting offended by it, but it's always a possibility. I remember when there was a filter on here for swearing but I like the freedom of speech :lol: I don't really see anyone say "Jesus fucking Christ" on here, although I might have once...considering I say it all the time out loud :lol: I say Goddammit all the time though. Which, could just be cut down to Dammit instead.

13. El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Well that's called a double standard. If I can't say retarded or gay, which I say often, why can you say Jesus fucking Christ when it can be considered equally insulting?

14. Chris.

I said I agreed with him

15. El Muerto

Yeah, I know, that wasn't directed against you. I just used your post to point out the double standards in the rules..

16. Chris

Its not just Jesus fucking Christ, also goddammit and other stuff that involves God or Jesus :lol:

Everyone knows someone who's retarded or gay, and everyone knows someone who believes in God. But when you're not retarded or gay, I cant see how you can be offended by it just because you know people who are. Nothing against you, just in general :lol:

17. El Muerto

I think it's about preventing people who are actually retarded from being offended when they see that word

18. Chris

Well, really no offense, but I highly doubt someone who is retarded will check the LPA forums :lol: Only places where those 2 words will be used are Random Thoughts and Other Music.

19. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

It's because when you say "retarded" or "gay", you're putting down people who may be mentally handicapped or homosexuals. They're personal attacks.

I'm sure Jesus isn't offended when somebody says that. It's not like somebody is saying "Christians suck" when somebody posts it.

"Jesus fucking Christ" (which, btw, isn't nearly as common as the previous two words) is an expression, whilst "gay" and "retarded" are put-downs/insults.

20. Chris

They're not personal attacks, its just another way of calling someone stupid. You dont mean to put people down.

Im sure Christian people are offended when someone says Jesus fucking Christ or goddammit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.