Meaning of The Catalyst

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by linkinlovprk, Aug 3, 2010.

Ismael Julian Velasco

Ismael Julian Velasco New Member

I can see this song being a cry for help a final prayer of forgiveness and a visual perspective of what the people in Japan faced the day the Atomic bombing hit Japan. I can see this song being sung in reference to the innocent voices of Japan and the people who were innocently killed and crying and praying for help and forgiveness to god for the sins of what humanity did to them which is kill them.
    "God bless us everyone,
    We're a broken people living under loaded gun.
    And it can't be outfought,
    It can't be outdone,
    It can't be outmatched,
    It can't be outrun.
    No!"
    In this part the innocent people of Japan are referring to the Japanese military that controls them and they can not fight them and they can not Out do what there leader or military had caused and they cannot put run what is about to happen when the atomic bomb drops on them.

And when I close my eyes tonight,
    Two symphonies of blinding light!

I'm assuming in this reference the innocent people who died in Japan are referring to the blinding light of the two atomic bombs hitting Japan and the people can only close there eyes and witness the light of the bombs taking them away

"Like memories in cold decay,
    Transmissions echoing away,
    Far from the world of you and I,
    Where oceans bleed into the sky!"

In this part I'm assuming the people who died in Japan are just memories now and the life that still lives there are decaying. Such as the animals and people and children that are born there still suffer from crazy mutations. Transmissions echoing away meaning the sirens going off around Japan before the bomb hitting .
    "oceans bleed into the sky"
    here it's talking about nuclear fallout which is nuclear radiation raining from the sky.

"God save us everyone,
    Will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns?
    For the sins of our hands,
    The sins of our tongues,
    The sins of our fathers,
    The sins of our young.
    No!"

To me this sounds like the final prayer of the innocent people of Japan questioning god if we humans are going to burn inside the fires of a thousand suns referring to hell or purgatory for the sins of humans for the sins spoken out of our tounges for the sins of our past ancestors and for the sins of our future generations.

"Lift me up let me go"

Lift my spirit up and let me go to paradise/heaven or some better place other then hell/purgatory or here

It can also be viewed to all of us innocent people who are manipulated and controlled by our government and by the leaders in charge of the land we live on and the military that constantly is murdering and killing innocent lives and there is nothing we can do to stop war and should we suffer in purgatory or hell for ours sins for the sins of our ancestors and for the sins of our future generations.

But that's just my opinion of what this song means tell me what you guys think?

EvilMamma

EvilMamma Active Member

This is my oldest son's all time favorite LP song. When I asked him why...his response was, " well, its about deception, misery, repentence, forgiveness and letting go of it all." all this from a then 11yr old...I can't say I agree, but everyone interprets lyrics differently.

Ismael Julian Velasco likes this.
    One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Damn that is (at least for an 11 year old, some deep deep stuff.

EvilMamma likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

To me it's a song simply about the sins of man and asking for redemption and forgiveness. Also has images of war, violence and manipulation in the song.

Towards the end, it seems to be alluding to death and talking to or witnessing a higher power

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    EvilMamma

EvilMamma Active Member

He is my emotional child. He almost 18 now...suffers from anxiety and panic attacks, just like his mom. Music and dirtbikes is our release from everyday stress.

That kid has been screaming to LP since he was 3. They have always been his go to band. For the last week...it's 2 songs playing from his room....The Catalyst and Nobody's Listening. It's time he expanded the playlist again lol

dontFindOutMe likes this.
    linkinlovprk

linkinlovprk Lpfuse refugee

Holy shit talk about necroposting. Honestly had no idea I ever started a topic here on the LPA.

Now that I've listened to it for a while though, I'm almost certain it reflects the band's fears into crafting an album like ATS.

kcg

kcg Well-Known Member

Nailed it.
    This is a great interpretation too.

Wow....I can't believe I just replied to two comments from seven years ago lol.