Marvel Movie Universe: Phase 2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by ChuckCheese, Jul 15, 2012.

1. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I really like the score used in the official website a lot more.

2. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

It does sound a bit different from what we usually get from Marvel. Having watched "The Winter Soldier" yesterday, I noticed how different that score was as well (more espionage-y, which makes sense for that movie). Hopefully they keep this up and changes things up with every movie. Superhero movies always tend to have a similar sounding score so any change is welcome.

The score in "The Dark World", f.e., annoyed the shit out of me. Mainly because they repeat the exact same theme over and over again throughout the movie.

3. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Per Deadline, it looks like the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff is going to follow Bobbi Morse (Adrianne Palicki) and Lance Hunter (Nick Blood) and their adventures following S.H.I.E.L.D. season two. So that's something. Apparently, this was pitched in the writers room before season two ever started. But I don't think either character is strong enough for this. I like both characters, but I don't think either of them, let alone both of them, can lead a TV series. It doesn't make any sense to me. Funny enough, the article posits that the new show may have to do with the "secret plan" that Bobbi and Mack have been "setting up," even though that's what's happening on the show right now; their secret plan is already out in the open. Fucking idiot writers.

Anyway, the only way I can see this working is the same way the article lays it out, and that's that this spinoff will air when S.H.I.E.L.D. isn't on the air; that is, during its breaks. I think that'd be cool because then it'd allow other characters to pop in and out of the spinoff, like Coulson or Skye or whoever. That's what ABC was originally going to do with Once Upon a Time and Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (both fantastic, by the way) but decided to air them concurrently and they think that hurt ratings. So airing them during each others breaks would be a good idea, although it might be hard to keep viewers year-round, if you ask me. From what I've read, though, none of the season two episodes yet to air are going to serve as a backdoor pilot for the new spinoff, so at least we won't have an obviously-out-of-place episode focusing on Bobbi and Hunter before the end of the season.

(There are a lot of idiots in the comments sections on various sites who don't understand how S.H.I.E.L.D. is still on the air considering it doesn't have strong ratings, but they fail to realize or understand that Disney doesn't really give a shit about ratings when it's a property they themselves own.)

The article also states that the S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff isn't the project that John Ridley will be working on. It says according to online speculation that he's helming a show centered on Ms. Marvel, but specifically says it's Kamala Khan, who is a Pakistani-American girl who discovers she's got shapeshifting abilities and later learns that she's an Inhuman. She takes her superhero name from her idol, Carol Danvers, who's now going by the alias Captain Marvel, after her idol, Mar-Vell, who went by Captain Marvel. Personally, I think basing a show on Kamala makes absolutely no sense, unless the show isn't supposed to come out until after Captain Marvel does. Plus the character isn't even two years old (premiered in August 2013) in the comics. Introducing a Ms. Marvel character who isn't Carol Danvers is absolutely bonkers to me. The only reason I can even imagine they'd have for doing this, assuming the rumor is true, is because she's an Inhuman and her superhero name is immediately recognizable.

Speaking of Captain Marvel, the movie now has its writers in Nicole Perlman (Guardians of the Galaxy) and Meg LeFauve (Pixar's Inside Out). Rumor has it they both submitted strong scripts and Marvel wants them to collab on one that's even stronger. And Angelina Jolie's name is still out there in the rumor-ether as director.

edit —

I saw another comment pointing out that Mockingbird starts the West Coast Avengers with Hawkeye, which I'd completely forgotten about. It could be that that's what this new spinoff focuses on, except it's replacing Hawkeye with Hunter. Which if that's the case, then I'm on board.

edit 2 —

And I saw someone else point out that Lance Hunter is the founder of S.T.R.I.K.E. (the UK version of S.H.I.E.L.D.) in the comics, so that could also be a route they could go. The only hangup I could see with this is that Crossbones was the leader of a S.T.R.I.K.E. unit in The Winter Soldier which might cause confusion.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  4. The Joesen One

I saw Avengers: Age of Ultron today. Will watch it twice again this week. If any of you guys wanna know what happens in the movie, ask me and then specify if you want me to reply via PM or via invisitags.

5. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I want to ask for a PM but I do not want to regret asking for a PM. Conflicted.

6. The Joesen One

Just do the invisitags thing then haha

Also, it's a great movie. I'm not sure how big it changes the status quo of the MCU though, other than a new lineup.

Unless I should screw the questions and add my notes here?

7. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Saw the movie, loved it.
    Don't stay til the end of the credits, there will be no reward. The scene is after the cast credits.

8. Jesse

I kinda spoiled myself by reading a reddit thread thinking it was a regular review. :/

9. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Big question. Is it better than the first?

10. Kevin

That's subjective...
    it's more dramatic than the first one and has WAY more character stuff so if that's something that you enjoy... I guess you can say it's better.
    You can tolerate Scarlett Witchs costume throughout the movie, but the one she has in the end for the "New Avengers" scene is SO much better.

Personally I don't think it's better, there were some stuff in here that was better, but the one long take in Avengers is WAY better than the one long take in Age of Ultron... and that shot in the first one made the movie for me.

Am I making any sense here?

The ending mid credits tag is just Thanos opening a suitcase, taking out the infinity gauntlet (without any of the gems) and says "Alright then, I'll just do it myself" and smilies. It's over in 15sec.

11. Will

What long take are you talking about? I can't even think of any. Unless you're referring to the scene where the camera pans around the Avengers as they're at each others backs?

I spoiled the movie for myself as well, in a similar way as Jesse. I was reading what started off as a normal review and then BOOM spoiler-city in the next paragraph. I can't even remember which one it was.

I plan on seeing it this weekend, though, so meh.

12. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Avengers: Age Of Ultron is one of the best movies marvel has put out this far - because(no big spoilers):
    - It's hilarious, even for marvel standards
    - More dramatic than the first movie
    - More character development for characters like Hawkeye
    - Great dynamics and chemistry between actors/characters
    - Has an awesome villain
    - The most over the top action we have seen
    - Almost everybody gets their time to shine

The biggest problem I have with the movie is the kind of forced/underdeveloped love story between Widow and Banner but it's not THAT bad.
    + the ending tag was ... whatever.

Besides the wow factor of the first movie(OMG it's avengers) this movie beats it for me.

The trailers probably showed way to much of this movie... Good thing I only watched the first.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  13. Kevin

[video=youtube;Y69kGmPeHw0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y69kGmPeHw0[/video]​

14. Will

Oh. Duh. I never thought about that being considered a long take.

15. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

16. Will

I remember reading a while ago about how Marvel was considering adding animated features to the MCU in lieu of producing full-fledged live-action films, which would make a lot of the storytelling easier, as they'd be able to bridge the gaps between movies with one-shot animated features that cost a fraction to make. I think that'd be a great idea, as long as the storytelling was strong. But a full-fledged animated film, and for Spider-Man? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

If anything, I could've seen them make sort of bridging films instead of the comics they're creating now, which would've been cool. But this is just silly as shit, assuming it's true.

edit —

Also animated features would allow them to bring a lot more of their lesser-known properties into the MCU without blowing up the bank making TV series or feature films for those properties when there's no guarantee they'd work out.

17. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

The Variety article has been updated.

"Sony Pictures chairman Tom Rothman made the disclosure at CinemaCon in Las Vegas. The animated film will exist independently of the projects in the live-action Spider-Man universe, all of which are continuing."

Thank god

18. The Joesen One

Saw it again today. I'm still not sure if it's better than the first. There's a few story plots that are kinda iffy, but here's my SPOILER-FILLED notes in INVISITAGS:

*"Shit" is the first word uttered in the movie.
    *I absolutely love the long take in the beginning of the film, especially that money shot from the trailer (aka my signature haha).
    *Dr. List is here, so I'm guessing he'll be alive through Agents of SHIELD, even though he's captured.
    *It sucks that Baron Strucker shows up for a short while, only to be killed off screen later on in the film. The dude has abilities in the comics and is a genuine threat to the Avengers. His "I'm going to surrender" moment is quite hilarious though.
    *I absolutely adore Scarlet Witch in the comics (and I'm in love with Elizabeth Olsen since her indie days) so I'm happy she has a huge role here.
    *Hot damn the Avengers tower looks good.
    *It's obvious Claudia Kim and South Korea are Marvel's attempt appeal to Korean viewers, but it's cool that Whedon developed her character to serve a large role in the movie, unlike what they did with Wang Xueqi and China in Iron Man 3. Plus, her character is from the comics, albeit a minor one.
    *The party scene has Rhodey, Falcon AND Stan Lee, plus the most hilarious scene in the movie.
    *It kinda sucks that Maria Hill has a smaller role than the first movie.
    *James Spader is terrific as Ultron. That is all.
    *Stark and Banner mentioning Wakanda made me jizz.
    *The Hulkbuster/Hulk battle is amazing and well-shot.
    *Most of the action scenes here give priority to civilians, which is a nice change from recent films *coughManofSteelcough*
    *I love how Scarlet Witch just incapacitates them like that.
    *I'm happy Thor has a larger role in the film by his character seeing the "bigger picture", but it sucks that most of his storyline is more of a setup to Thor: Ragnarok.
    *HAWKEYE IS THE BEST CHARACTER IN THE MOVIE HANDS DOWN. He almost becomes the lead in the movie. Whedon gives him the best lines, the best rivalry (against Quicksilver) and the best backstory. Heck, he's the only member of the team who isn't messed up.
    *I'm not sure of the love story between Hulk and Widow.
    *Loki's scepter is very important to the story, as it has the Mind Gem, which is implanted to Vision.
    *The Avengers finally know of the Infinity Stones when Thor returns and activates Vision.
    *Before Vision is activated, Captain America, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch fight Iron Man, Banner and Hawkeye. #CivilWar
    *Paul Bettany is awesome as Vision. Also, HE LIFTS THOR'S HAMMER.
    *Fury's presence here is more of a deus ex machina. Still, it's great to see him though.
    *Oh boy, Ultron's plan of lifting the city and crashing it will irritate scientists and physicists.
    *I love the final battle. WAR MACHINE BABY. AND THE HELICARRIER. AND SHIELD.
    *It kinda sucks Quicksilver dies in the movie, but his presence was enough.
    *The new lineup of the Avengers - Captain America, Black Widow, War Machine, Scarlet Witch, Vision and Falcon - looks promising. AND FALCON'S NEW SUIT. THE RED SHADE. OH BABY.
    *Whedon's humor is scattered all over the movie.
    *That mid-credits scene was so short.

That is all :lol:

19. Will

That's good. I read a couple other articles that were worded in a way that made it sound like it was going to be a part of the MCU. The initial person who supposedly gave everyone the news must not've been very clear about what was going to be happening at all.

20. Jesse

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/23/telltale-games-and-marvel-partner-for-console-game-in-2017

Marvel and Telltale are doing a game.