LPU 11 Details and Tracklist Revealed!

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yurieff

Yurieff Meow. :3

am I the only one who is disappointed by this LPU?

2. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

Leak pictureboard Adam or I wll kill mike.

3. DJIntensity

DJIntensity Well-Known Member

But the bridge... :eek:

I felt special for a while lol. *forever alone*

4. finality

finality Well-Known Member

Wow, Program. Insane. Probably the best sound I've heard from them. That guitar riff is brutal.

Not digging the Hybrid Theory demos. I see why they never made a final cut for them. But everything else is nice.

5. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Nope, I was as well. Distorted guitar riffs and simple synthesized melodies don't really make for a good "album". I thought the demos in the last LPU were much better, much more put together. I didn't feel that way at all here, it was just a lot of noise. I thought YO was the only one with any sort of depth to it. Can't complain too much though, it's not Linkin Park has to do any of this, so I'll just be grateful for what they put out.

6. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Not as good as the last LPU, but it's probably second best ever. I love hearing instrumental demos, even if they are full of power chords. Even though I'm sure those weren't meant to stay instrumentals, I wish LP would write that way more in the future.

7. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

1. That's a little severe, good way to scare Mike away from these forums for good :p.
    2. If it's worth anything, apparently Pictureboard wasn't anything memorable. Although, I'm sure if enough fans begged for it...it'd probably eventually come out.

8. Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Haha that makes sense. With all the hype surrounding this track I bet most of us would be disappointed with the song if we heard it.:rasberry:

Though it does make you think that the reason LP haven't rleased tracks like this is that there waiting for a more appropriate time to release it? If you think about it god knows how many more LPU CD's they'll be so they'd have to keep some things back to make them continuously interesting. LPU20 anyone? :awesome:

9. Wizardofozil

Adam heard take away my pride?

10. Derek

To answer the other question though, this CD is exciting to older fans more than it is newer fans because of what is on it. A lot of these demos (Slip, Blue, Program and Esaul) were demos we've heard partially or have known to exist since almost the beginning of the band's career but never thought would see the light of day. Let me explain:

Esaul: This is the earliest version of A Place For My Head currently known to exist. What makes this version so special is that it is the same version of Esaul that was found in this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf9jVmxZvjQ . That demo has been hunted for years by fans because it had vastly different lyrics than any other A Place For My Head to date, and was done when Chester first joined the band. It was featured as an easter egg on Frat Party (which is where that live video is from) and to finally hear the studio version of this is the next best thing to hearing Pictureboard/More Xero demos. It was one of the holy grails of the LP world, and now it's ours.

Slip: Another case of a mysterious song that we heard a snippet of, and always wondered more about. Back before they were called Linkin Park, they did an interview/music special with an up and coming filmographer named Marc Ostrick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaN1W71asjk). During this interview the band did a little mini warmup/showcase and while most of the songs they played we already knew, for about 30 seconds there was this awesome intro/bridge of a song we've never heard, that sounded drastically different than anything the band did before, I tried offering money and everything to Marc to get that full performance, and I never had success. Now, with LPU11 we have that song in it's entirety.

Program: The origins of this were a little harder to figure out, but it's surprisingly shown in the Making of Meteora DVD. It's just that none of us even realized it. Right before Mike makes the amazing discovery with Somewhere I Belong, Phoenix is shown meddling with a track in Protools and playing guitar on what everyone assumed at the time to be a demo of From The Inside. Its now clear (in my opinion) when you listen to it that we were indeed hearing "Program", as parts of the instrumental can be heard while Phoenix plays guitar.

Blue: The infamous song that never made the cut, but who's bridge became "Crawling". Mentioned by Mike at the Grammy's back in 2001/2002, this demo is the standout track of LPU.

So for a Linkin Park nerd like me, someone who has spent years trying to track down the rarest of the rare...this CD to me is the closest thing to the holy grail in regards to LPU. The only thing that could've made this amazing CD even better was Pictureboard, but I'm sure we'll hear that eventually. Sure the songs sound rough, unpolished or "old" but what do you expect from demos that are over 10 years old? This CD has raised the bar for future LPU discs and has made it clear that we haven't even scratched the TIP of what Linkin Park has hiding in their archives.

Not sure, forgot about that demo tbh.

11. Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Sweet post Derek. I barely remember half of the demos that where in MoM. so its very enlightening to know there finally releasing all these gems!

Now, apart from Pictureboard, all else we haven't got is Esaul with Mark Wakefield and the My December Team Sleep Remix. Thats about it really? But I bet theres a still a truckload of more stuff we don't know about too. I like to think we have ALL the HT demos now, but I said that when She Couldn't came out, so... :p

12. Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Lets get begging then. :awesome:

13. Derek

Hopefully Mike will release the lyrics to some of these demos down the line. We've done a fair job of transcribing them in this thread, but there's still some lines that don't feel "right".

14. Wizardofozil

I am loving blue :)

15. LinkinParkForever275

LinkinParkForever275 Linkin Park is my religion!

Blue is crawling :eek:
    Lpu11 sooo awesome!!! I am so Happy that the old lpu style is back!!! The cd is just breathtaking good!!

16. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

It's very likely most of the ATS demos are WIPs they may possibly work on for their next album, so that's why they were withheld for now. The new album should be in full swing, fi nto released by the time LPU12 comes out, so I'm expecting some great shit on that.

17. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

It's a CD of unreleased material.

Unreleased material that was NEVER FINISHED.

Unreleased material that was NEVER FINISHED spanning a decade.

And you're complaining about simple melodies and the album not being 'more put together'. I know you say you're not complaining but you just aired out everything you didn't like about it, which sounds very much like the pot refusing to acknowledge that it is, in fact, black.

18. Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

The next album is definitely in full swing, but I still have my doubts about that early of a release. Makes sense that they would go back to some demos from ATS, either way, I'm sure it'll be epic!

19. Jason

Jason "My pep talk turned into a pep rally." LPA VIP

I was thinking this exact same thing. LPU CD's aren't meant to be studio albums comprised of finished material. They are released for fans who appreciate Linkin Park's creative process. They allow us some insight into LP's past, and show us the groundwork that was laid prior to finalizing the album. I think it is amazing to hear the beginnings of a great song in these demos, and it shows how much work LP puts into their music. If you can't appreciate that, then GTFO. lol

20. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

A couple things to add/correct...while "Slip" definitely contains the same guitar riff as the song in the "Jammin' with Hybrid Theory" video, it must be a different version of the song, as the one in the video has that riff at the beginning of the song, the demo we got on LPU11 has it in the bridge. Rob's drum part is a lot more complex in the video version too.

I think you're getting a little confused with "Program" and the Making of Meteora clip. There's a clip of Phoenix playing guitar on an early demo of what is clearly From the Inside on the Frat Party DVD, right before the segment with the intro to Somewhere I Belong. The clip of "Program" can be found from 1:35 to 1:42 of this clip from the Making of Meteora (easy to get confused, as it's right before a "flashback" to the same Somewhere I Belong clip from Frat Party): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzTYLztMQkw

I'm pretty sure "Soundtrack" was used in Making of Meteora/LPTV at some point as well, but I haven't been able to find where yet.

As for "Blue," the source of Mike mentioning that they reused part of an old song to create the chorus in Crawling was actually on Mike's Reanimation studio journal on LP.com from 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.