LPAssociation "Top 20 of 20" Giveaway

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, Aug 17, 2020.

1. diehardlpfan77

diehardlpfan77 Well-Known Member

Why must people hate?? :(

Why is there so much hate for meteora on this site??? I"m not saying it's my favorite album or it's the best album by the band but it almost feels as if all the regular users of this site are die hard meteora haters. It's like a cult for them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2020
    Modern Guitar God likes this.
  2. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

To be fair, it feels like this because the few who really hates it just wont shut up about it.

3. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I think I am Team Ree. We share a lot of the same songs in high regard and both have Robot Boy as our least favorite of the 25 songs present.

Everyone else I had some issues with but I don't really have any issues with Ree's list.

The people who dislike it are just very vocal about and the people who genuinely like Meteora don't speak up about it because of the vocal haters.

Ree likes this.
  4. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I know this might not be obvious, but I would tell you that it's mostly exaggerated for laughs. At times, though, I personally have a complicated relationship with Linkin Park's early work because of how toxic I feel nu-metal fans have been over the past decade.

A number of "Meteora" songs made the top 25 list that the stream covered :)

5. diehardlpfan77

The reason why i like Meteora so much is because it's the last album that remotely resembles to HT. I guess the nostalgia comes into place for me. It's Kind of strange seeing out of 7 studio albums by the band only meteora gets so much criticism on here considering it incorporated all the things we love about LP in general(at least for most of us). and sorry for the unpopular opinion and diverting the main topic of the thread :p

6. minuteforce

Well, the thing with LP is that they've always been versatile to a very great extent, so people will have wildly differing perspectives on what exactly those things are. :)

On top of this, us fans have grown and changed over the past two decades, and our tastes have developed and changed over that time. Many current LP fans hadn't even been born when "Hybrid Theory" came out.

7. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

I always thought "hating Meteora" here is a running gag. Like a respond to the "I want old LP back" people.

brady likes this.
  8. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I wish it would be a gag, lol

9. minuteforce

I think, on LPA in particular, those extremes have curbed because we're not having heated arguments with nu-metal purists so often anymore

10. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

pls don't make me feel old on here lol

11. ragsta

ragsta Well-Known Member

Well done. Proper list! A bit suprised with WTCFM as the number one, as most people are, but yes its a unique and quality song for sure.

12. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Not putting a song in our top 20 does not mean we think it’s bad.

13. minuteforce

All of us have songs that we individually wish were on that top 25 list, and all of us could point out songs in that list which we individually don't really like (Derek apparently hates all of "A Thousand Suns", for example :kappa:)

14. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

To add on to what everyone here has said, many of us have been here for a while. I've been a part of the LPA for 17 years now. Music tastes change. People change.

As the spearhead of the "fuck Meteora" movement, I can say with confidence that a good percentage of it was backlash against the nu-metal diehards. Not necessarily a majority, but a noticeable percentage.

I can also say though that I still think it's their worst album.

What you describe as "incorporating all the things we love about LP in general" is, in my opinion, LP being held back to replicate their success with Hybrid Theory. It's a carbon copy of Hybrid Theory with worse lyrics. You can observe this in the LPU demos from the Meteora era, which sound completely different from what we actually got. Whereas every OTHER album we got from LP broke boundaries in some way - HT being the starting point, MTM expanding songwriting to all band members and expanding their sound, ATS going so far off the reservation and going synth-heavy, LT experimenting with folk aesthetics, THP starting the collab process, and OML focusing on lyrics first and building lush instrumentation AFTER - Meteora stands in stark contrast as being... samey. It doesn't break any new ground. It's firmly in the camp of Hybrid Theory Part 2, and the band said as much during the MTM and ATS album cycles. Interviews during the Meteora era see the band talking a lot about trying to avoid the sophomore slump. They were more focused on preventing failure than they were making music that excited them.

A lot of people enjoy Meteora and, while wrong, they are welcome to their opinion. At the time of me joining the forum, I certainly liked it well enough. Now though, I look at Meteora and see a missed opportunity for LP to expand their sound and try something new. I see Don Gilmore holding LP to a formula that even from the beginning, LP didn't hold themselves to (see: She Couldn't). I may not like all of LP's outings (the first half of LIVING THINGS is entirely forgettable and I haven't listened to The Hunting Party since before Chester died), but I will always respect those records because LP at least tried something new.

Meteora doesn't even do that.

15. Petar

Petar Well-Known Member

#TeamLouis here :)

16. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Honestly feel so disappointed in this place for thinking that Final Masquerade is a bad song. Thats it, im leaving this forum forever

Michele likes this.
  17. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Final Masquerade is okay at best, and the highest praise I can give it is that the acoustic version is superior in every way.

18. diehardlpfan77

Firstly i apologize for calling it a "crappy list" . I'm not very good at expressing my opinion on the internet. I should have been more elaborate and clear about what i meant. What disappointed me the most about the list how BTH and Numb were ranked(Two of my favorite tracks from meteora). I realize music is subjective and everyone has their own taste and opinion of it and i was somewhat guilty of being Judgemental on that perspective.

Like i said before meteora by no means is my favorite Linkin Park album but it does hold a very special place in my heart as it was the very last thing we ever had that resembled to HT. and let me tell you i'm not one of those people who is like "I want the old Linkin Park" kind of person. I love and appreciate the diverse root the band has taken since meteora. MTM,LT,THP all were good albums(not great, again my opinion). Even ATS was a very good album(excluding the interludes so in essence i like all the albums by the band, i just like one more than the other. I have been visiting this site since LT was expected to come out(wasn't a member but i just read the forums and news).

Since then i have noticed some people evident distaste for this album with any kind of mention of the album(Even today someone mentioned putting a dislike button on quoting what i wrote). So that was the reason I asked "what's with all the hate about meteora??"

Again i apologize if i offended anyone. Like i said i am very bad with expressing my opinions so people might have misunderstood what i actually meant.

P.S English isn't my first language and my academic writing sucks so sorry for any kind of grammatical mistake guys.

19. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

RT. Top 3 song!

20. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Hey man it's all good.