Linkin Park May Leave The Firm

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Linkin Park and their manager Rob McDermott could possibly leave their agency, The Firm, according to the New York Post.

McDermott is reportedly in negociations to buy out his own contract so that he can leave and open up his own agency, taking Linkin Park with him.

The announcement comes after the band's management unsuccessfully waged a public war of words with Warner Bros Records concerning WB's commitment to their artists. The band had demanded a $60M advance for the new album, with a split of profits for album sales instead of royalties. The two sides settled for $15M a few months ago.

We'll keep you posted as the events unfold.

Source: New York Post, LPFuse.

Pinkin Lark

Pinkin Lark Prince of Persia.

I wonder if this will lag the album at all...?

Mark

Why would it? The only thing that would lag the album would be some conflict with the record label. This stuff is just who their legal representation and management is. And Rob will stay as manager, so there's nothing really that drastic. Just a change of agencies.

The label and the agency are on seperate sides of the table.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

Depending on how involved the band is in their management, it could definetely lag production of the album, if it hasn't already begun. Linkin Park needs to stick to what they do best: making music. Let the moneymen do the business.

Mark

Considering their manager will be with them the entire time, I foresee no reason to believe that. The record label will be the cause of any album production problems. Besides, the split seems amicable between the two sides, according to the Post.

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

It seems to me that The Firm and Rob McDermott are going to leave on good terms. I mean, he's willing to pay $1 million to buy out his contract.

This won't affect Linkin Park's next album at all. This has nothing to do with Linkin Park. This is about Rob McDermott and The Firm.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

If I was The Firm, I wouldn't let them go without a fight. Letting a manager buy out his contract for just a million (it's most likely worth more), and in return the manager gets a high-profile act and will start his own agency? That's competition, and by letting them go, they're basically saying, "sure, compete with us! we love it!".

Fuck that.

Paul

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I mean, Linkin Park has been out of the spotlight for a while and with every album they sell less and less. Though The Rising Tied was a great album, it flopped on the charts. I'm pretty sure the Snow White Tan album won't sell well either.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Linkin Park might have been out of the loop for a few years, but if Nine Inch Nails can get the #1 (or whatever high debut number With Teeth got) after being away from the scene for a good 5 or 6 years, why can't Linkin Park?

I have no doubt in my mind their next album will do incredibly well. Not Hybrid Theory numbers, but it'll sell better than an album from any other rock band, like Nickelback or some such band.

Paul

The third album will sell less than Meteora. I'm thinking around 2x platinum maybe. That's still good numbers however.

I never looked at the NIN thing that way. Basically, if you've made a name for yourself on the charts, you'll sell well. Even if you put out crap CDs (50 Cent). I know what you're exactly talking about now.

Mark

My guess is that it'll sell about as much as 'Meteora', in the 5x platinum range. Possibly lower around 4x.

Zack

Zack Banned

So this isn't harming the band or the new album at all, right? I'm kind of confused about all this record label stuff that LP has been doing over the past year. I know they settled their problems with Warner Bros, but what is this ''Firm'' thing?

Mark

It's just a switch of agencies. They still have the same manager, but they just have other different management representation. Some of oyu are reading way too far into this.

Perhaps the band weren't happy with the way The Firm handled the Warner dispute. Either The Firm could've been too overzealous, or the band didn't get what they wanted.

Or maybe it's just Rob McDermott trying to realize he's got a great opportunity on his hands and that becoming independant with Linkin Park as his frontrunners for his own music agency is a good idea.

It's like a sports agent dropping out of the agency he's worked for to try and handle getting athletes by himself, instead of having the athletes that are coming to the larger firm being given out to seperate agents within the company, creating competition within the agency.

There's many factors here. But just read this: Don't worry about it. It's nothing.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Everybody, just relate this situation to Jerry McGuire. :p

Paul

Or the show "Entourage" on HBO. The whole second season delt with a situation like this. :lol:

lparks41

lparks41 Well-Known Member

I disagree with you guys. I think the third album will sell MORE than Meteora, but at the same time less than Hybrid Theory, if they can get the right promotion and make their way back into the limelight again. My reason being Meteora took two and a half years to write, while this album is going to take nearly four--almost as long as it took to write hyrbid theory...This might turn out being a greater album then you all think.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
    Mark

The band wrote Hybrid Theory and recorded it in 4 weeks, not years.

lparks41

lparks41 Well-Known Member

I mean like the whole process of the album coming together starting when they formed as a group in 1996. They had their whole lives to write hyrbid theory and they were kind of rushed to make Meteora to please everyone. This might be a little different.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

regardless, this can't be good for the new album. this is probably gonna delay it for a bit. :(

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
    Paperku7

Paperku7 Banned

yeah im sure they had some of the stuff they put on hybrid theory years before. im sure songs such as esaul and in the end early demos were not written and recorded in 4 weeks. meteora seemed rushed to me. this album though, has been in the making since meteora came out (i would assume, since thats what happened with the previous album). lets give them a little more credit here. im saying theyll sell 7x plat over a course of 2 years;p that is of course if the album is going to be what im hoping it will turn out to be. but shit i am a high hoper :)

lets HOPE that this next record will be good. Papercut/Points of Authority good. not breaking the habit/nobodys listening good. i dont want to hear a shit load of new age rock bullshit. if i wanted that, id pop in some black eyed peas or **quivers** Nine inch nails. i want scream rap/rock. what theyre known for.

am i right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.