Linkin Park debut new music at WBR event

Discussion in 'News' started by minuteforce, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I really wanna hear Mike harmonizing on On More Light (the song) you can kind of hear it a tiny bit in the short clip. It's really low.

Also I didn't see a mic pack on either Chester or Mike in those clips. Did they perform without one?

Sasuke likes this.
  2. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Me too! I LOVE HARMONISES!
    Yeah I think so. the audience was too small though, so the mics wasn't needed.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  3. warriorathlete21

warriorathlete21 Well-Known Member

Side note; iTunes has the track length listed for battle symphony. 3:36

I wonder if this is the next promotional single that will be released.

4. Zakksalvo

Zakksalvo Well-Known Member

Literally just happened then because I checked this morning and there was no other track listings! So pumped!!

5. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

:think: It's only in iTunes. not on Amazon and others?

6. KrylonShadow

KrylonShadow Well-Known Member

So I took a stab at lyrics and chords for Talking To Myself:

Capo on 5th fret

Clip 1:

Am G F Dm
    I can whisper, I can yell

F F G
    But I know, yeah I know, yeah I know, I'm just talkin' to my-

Am C G F
    -self, ooh-ooh, talkin' to my-

Am C G F
    -self, ooh-ooh, talkin' to my-

Am C G F
    -self, ooh-ooh

F F G
    When I know, yeah I know, yeah I know, I'm just talkin' to my-

Am C Dm F E
    -self

Am
    Clip 2:

Dm Am G F
    Keep runnin' like the sky is fallin'

Dm Am G F
    I can whisper, I can yell

Dm F G
    But I know, yeah I know, yeah I know, I'm just talkin' to my-

Am C
    -self
    The guitar melody in the chorus is pretty easy to figure out and I'm too lazy to tab it out.
    Edit: Here's the guitar melody probably:
    Code:
    Capo on 5th fret

e -0-0------------1/3--3-3-3-1-1-1-1-
    B -----1-1-----1---------------------
    G ---------2-2-----------------------
    D -----------------------------------
    A -----------------------------------
    E ----------------------------------- (x3)

e -0-0----------------------------------
    B -----1-1-----1--3(4)3-3-3-3-3-3-4p3p1-
    G ---------2-2--------------------------
    D --------------------------------------
    A --------------------------------------
    E --------------------------------------

I also jotted down some similarities to other songs:
    • Flo Rida - Good Feeling (the chorus, specifically the chord progression and the "oohs" layered over the guitar)
    • Incubus - Anna Molly (the chord riffs after the chorus, specifically the strum pattern and gritty sound)
    • Alex Clare - Too Close (the chord riffs after the chorus, specifically the chord progression)
    • Jason Mraz - Coyotes (the chord riffs after the chorus, specifically the chord progression)
    • Zedd ft. Foxes - Clarity ("keep runnin' like the sky is falling" in the bridge sounds like "still fight and I don't know why")
    And as a bonus, here's the chords for that Sorry For Now clip:

Capo on 1st fret

C Dm
    Sorry for now, that I couldn't be around

Am F
    Sometimes things refuse to go the way we plan​

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Iopia likes this.
  7. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Well, LP have always cited Flo Rida as a major influence, especially on the last album, so that's really no surprise

8. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

But Linkin Park existed before Flo Rida.....

9. KrylonShadow

KrylonShadow Well-Known Member

I'm gonna wager a guess here and say that they were being sarcastic. Anyways, all I did was list a few songs that I personally noticed similarities to off the top of my head--if you take any song apart, it easy to find a ton of songs with similarities. Not everyone here is into mainstream music, but if they like what they hear in Talking To Myself, they might like some of the songs I've listed. And in all fairness, that Flo Rida song is really just a remix of Levels by Avicii.

10. minuteforce

that's just the narrative that THEY want you to believe

open your eyes

11. crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

Don't forget to open up your mind, as well. :kappa:

12. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Given that Chester can't (or shouldn't-more precisely) scream so often and damage his voice further, I guess he's been taking a more creative approach as to how to use his voice in LP songs. We know Chester is versatile as fuck, but he always went for that yell-y, gritty style of singing, I am glad he's bringing a little bit of the stuff he did vocally at Dead By Sunrise or even Stone Temple Pilots. 'Same on the Inside' is a song with amazing vocals by him, but not in the way we used to listen at LP.

I for one am glad he's given himself that creative freedom and just said 'fuck it, I'll sing however I want to'. And that applies to the whole band in terms of overall sound.

Iopia and Sasuke like this.
  13. Tony Fields

Tony Fields I believe in Pictureboard

Also don't forget to beat that machine that works in your head :shinado:

14. minuteforce

▲ FLO RIDA IS ETERNAL ▲

15. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Sorry it took me a while to respond to this (so long that I had a hard time remembering which thread it was in lol). Also, I think there was at least one other comment of yours I haven't responded to yet, and please tell me which thread or where it was, as I still want to. I love your posts too, and thanks for the praise on mine :) (P.S. I did read it all haha)

Funny how for as much as I write sometimes (most of the time...) things often still don't come out into writing with as much sense and clarity as in my head. With this, I often don't use exactly the right adjective. It's weird and I wish it was different lol.

I totally get your sense of subtlety, or being blunt vs being specific. Completely on board with what you mean. I guess all I meant with it though or my take in this scenario, was very similar to what you said about Burning in the Skies - how the song's meaning isn't hard to decipher, but isn't stated in plain English, which you like. I like that too. In fact I pretty much love it. That's just one reason I love that particular song so much, too.

Examples or comparisons I've previously used have been when LP sings about death vs how some others do it. Leave Out All the Rest, singing about not wanting to be remembered negatively, when my time comes, etc. Shadow of the Day, singing about cards and flowers on your window, with friends begging you to stay, sun will set for you. Valentine's Day... I bet tons of LP fans, coming off of Hybrid Theory and Meteora, read this title on the Minutes to Midnight tracklist and absolutely cringed haha. Worried that LP was going to sing a love song... but what did they do with it instead? Sung about being alone that day, after your significant other dies... like, wow, right? But (and I'm not sure what this says about me...) I loved that.

Then you take "Crash" by Sum 41 and "White Sparrows" by Billy Talent (I apologize to those who read this who have already seen me talk about this). In Crash, it's "I don't wanna die, I don't know why" and "Was supposed to grow old with you ... but that ain't gonna happen". In White Sparrows. "I hold your casket, gently walking to the grave, dark clouds eclipse, the sun won't shine again" and "Doctor doctor on the phone... said my love was never coming home" (or something like that). Now I actually enjoy these songs, so I do see the merits in being specific (right? haha) but I couldn't help but always prefer the approach Linkin Park was taking, where for me at least it wasn't hard to catch the meaning, but it wasn't stated so obviously. This is why I was a little iffy when hearing the "I used to get high" line in Halfway Right. That being said, I'm not exactly scared I'm not going to like that song. For one, it's too little to go on to decide that one way or the other, and for two, being specific doesn't have to be bad. For three, I trust Linkin Park and they continue to not let me down lol

(I just hope that the writing collaborations haven't been too heavy of an influence, as I personally like and trust how Linkin Park writes on their own)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017