Kanye West - Yeezus

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by RazorEye, May 19, 2013.

1. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"Twisted Fantasy" is crazy-ornate and grandiose; in contrast, "Yeezus" has a more minimal and raw aesthetic happening.

2. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

You're not the first person I've seen say this. Is Yeezus really "minimal" and "raw"? I don't get that vibe at all from this album.

3. minuteforce

If you don't agree, would you say that it is minimalistic in comparison to "Twisted Fantasy", at least? That's kind of more what I meant ;D

4. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Dude is an ass hat.

He hated Koi No Yokan.

5. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I watched his review of Koi No Yokan because of this comment. Actually, he called it decent, and said he kinda liked it to an extent. But sure, he made some critics. In my opinion, some fo them were valid, especially concerning Deftones playing it safe.

6. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Fuck opinions!

Exactly. He never hated on the album at all. Also, the rating he gave it, 6/10, is not hating it. Anyways, moving on.

7. Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

Someone posted this on another forum I frequent, completely agree with him after listening to the album sober:

Was it different? Yes. Was it creative? absolutely. Was it in the vain of minimalism? Yep. Was it something a human being should enjoy listening to? Nope. Maybe this album deserves to play in the background of some documentary but it doesn't seem to fit any context for actually listening to music, such as in a quiet room, in a club, in a car, on headphones, on tower speakers. It all just sounds difficult to take in.

8. minuteforce

(source)

9. Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

^
    That is super funny!

And Big Ghost is always on point!

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/kanye-west-yeezus-review-by-big-ghost.html

"Like son said “I keep it 300 like the Romans” which is probably spose to be a double entendre n whatever…which is cool… I mean I aint no professor of geographical history or nothin like that but I think the Spartans in 300 was actually Greek tho fam. Thats jus minor details tho."

I died at that

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  10. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

I must be an alien. I come in peace, people :kappa:

but still, hide yo kids, hide yo wives, 'cause I'm beaming up errybody

Seriously, though, I get that it's a difficult sound to take in. I had the same problem with Nine Inch Nails like a year ago (really didn't understand what the fuzz was about) but I love NIN to death now. From that day I started digging NIN, most music has been incredibly easy to take in for me haha. So to say no human being should enjoy listening to this sounds a bit... eeeeh :lol:

I've always wondered about that whenever I hear that line haha!

11. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

What are y'all top Kanye albums? I've been listening to "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" for days now and I want to know what to launch into next.

12. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I'm not exactly an expert on his catalogue, but The College Dropout is a good place to go next, in my opinion.

13. Seanlp608

Seanlp608 Well-Known Member

Okay so basically, MBDTF is considered his masterpiece. Next in line comes his debut "The College Dropout" and "Late Registration" for most fans. Actually, a lot of fans still consider these 2 albums Kanye's best because of Kanye's mastery of integrating soul into hip-hop. Then comes "Graduation" and "808's & Heartbreak" which are definitely more pop oriented albums, there is some extremely catchy stuff on both of those albums. In addition, he has "Cruel Summer" which is considered decent by most, and his collabo album with Jay Z, "Watch The Throne" which is quite epic!

So basically, it depends on what you're looking for :) However, my personal suggestions are "The College Dropout" "Late Registration" and "Watch The Throne"

Also, I'm glad to see someone else who digs Karnivool!

14. hawk

Thanks you two, I'll check out "College Dropout" right now. Thanks for the additional information Sean, appreciate it.

Oh and yes, Karnivool is awesome. Can't wait until next month.

15. ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Don't like it as much as his other albums, but I can at least see what he wanted to do with this one. That said, Blood on the Leaves is a fucking JAM.

16. minuteforce

"Cruel Summer" is a compilation rather than a proper studio album. Even when you look at it that way, the tracklisting doesn't work.

As a Jay-Z/Kanye collaborative album, "Watch The Throne" was expected to be big on style and ego-stroking and lacking in substance. Instead, it's an album which is almost on par with "Twisted Fantasy" in some ways. The general concensus is that it could have been way worse. :)

On another note, you guys probably know that Kanye appeared on an early version of "Hurricane" by 30 Seconds To Mars in 2009 or whatever. I know that Joseph is a hardxcore fan of that band

17. hawk

Oi, it's #voxpopuli, get it right. Gosh.

18. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
    2. College Dropout
    3. 808s & Heartbreak
    4. Yeezus
    5. Graduation
    6. Late Registration

I'm not even ranking Watch the Throne, that might as well be a Jay-Z album featuring _________.

19. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

The ''Hampton'' part is New Slaves is sooo good. It always makes me laugh. Wish it had more anger though, like the live version.

20. minuteforce

Some quick thoughts:

• My least-favourite songs, which I don't really even hate, are "On Sight" and "Bound 2". The rest of them, I think are uniformally pretty great.
    • Rick Rubin has said that Kanye rushed the lyrics on a few songs and I think you can kind of tell. The beats are definitely this album's biggest strength.
    • "New Slaves" and "Black Skinhead" do sound better live, at least from what we heard on "Saturday Night Live". They are songs where the more aggressive live renditions really work.
    • I think that, musically, the "Strange Fruit" sampling in "Blood On The Leaves" works really well. Still, I don't understand why Kanye chose to use that song, considering the lyrics that he delivers over the top

The end of the second verse in "I'm In It" made me laugh aloud :lol: