If Linkin Park were still Nu-Metal

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by 2xPutt, Feb 22, 2017.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

One of the best covers of this song that I've heard yet, but the screaming just feels unnecessary for this song. It feels so out of place compared to the rest of it. Though I appreciate the originality put into it instead of being just a straight up cover. Clearly, I'm biased here, but the original is still my favorite version of the song. All these heavier covers of "Heavy" show that the song just isn't really intended to sound that way.

Cely_lp likes this.
    Tony Fields

Tony Fields I believe in Pictureboard

Which of six?

zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

I think he meant christian bale

Tony Fields likes this.
    Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Yeah, I respect these guys for making a fun and well-made cover of the song, but this just highlights everything I already don't like about the song. This cover somehow manages to make the song even more generic sounding. The only thing I like about Heavy is the sound design, and replacing it with the same wall of guitars you hear in every single pop-rock song released in the past 15 years just makes it sound like a shitty Bring Me The Horizon b-side.

I totally get why people might prefer this version, that's just their taste, but I'll never understand why so many people can actively despise the original, while at the same time loving this version just because someone added "gitarrzzz". They're literally the same song.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

:lol: Yes! I forgot his name.
    :samuel: HOW DARE YOU???

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I really don't enjoy the cover. :lol:

Nimz Lp

Nimz Lp niimz94

These guys are actually pretty awesome. Their OC are also amazing.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

I don't care for this 08/15 cover. I mean how can you compare this to Join the Club or Chasing Rainbows. HOW??
    BMTH rulezz! :headbang:

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Not gonna lie, I actually enjoyed this cover. The instrumentals were decent, with some catchy chords and riffing. The vocals, however, were mixed. I didn't really care for the sound of the rapping in the verses, but really dug the sound of the chorus overall. Whoever did the screaming sounded great IMO. Lastly, the clean vocals were alright, but were subdued at times. This is all from a first listen impression.

Edit: It didn't sound that much like LP instrumentally, but the screaming and certain vocal sections were reminiscent enough of LP.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

I can't stand that kind of vocals. High-pitched clean singing paired with generic out-of-place screaming. Ugh

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

If I were forced at gunpoint to either:

1. Slowly skin an orphan with a blunt plastic spoon who was recently diagnosed with cancer but had JUST been adopted by a loving rich family who had the cure to said cancer while they watched tied up and eyes forced open A Clockwork Orange style or
    2. Listen to this cover

I would listen to the cover, but it would take me a day or two and a pros/cons list to make the decision.

Just kidding, I would tell my captor to pull the fucking trigger.

TobinKnowsBest likes this.
    One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

I am glad that LP never repeats itself. Some bands (not going to name names) ALWAYS repeat themselves, and if that band continues to do so after their, lets say, 10th album, theres SOME POINT that you're sick of it. Not saying the songs were garbage in itself but its like information overload. Most bands like that have like a "Best of" out that makes you get all the good songs and (if not having the title as an indicator) its actually a better album as far as cohesivness is concerned.

Eric James Aguigam

Eric James Aguigam Well-Known Member

I honestly didn't like that cover. In my opinion, it made "Heavy" sound more generic, which is ironic because I know a lot of people will believe it's less generic due to the utilization of distorted guitars playing power chords. It just sounds like a stereotypical post-hardcore band that plays at Warped Tour, who's music appeals to a younger audience but will eventually die out within 3-5 years because a younger, fresher band who sounds exactly the same will attract said young audience more due to the lack of longevity in this style of music.

Sorry if I come across as rude, it's just my opinion. I will give credit where credit is due though. The band is good. They definitely don't suck. It's just not my cup of tea.

Iopia likes this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Did you post this in the wrong thread? ...

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Posting fucking nu-metal covers in every thread won't make Nu-Metal come back and it just makes you look like a goddamn asshole. (And I mean a collective "You" with this, not an individual person specifically, hence the lack of quoting a specific somebody. That's also what I mean with other instances of "You" in this post. It's a trend that I'm sick of seeing in every discussion about "Heavy". With that clarity edit out of the way...)

No matter how much you might insist you're not shitting on the band's creative decisions, that's exactly what you're doing. It's transparently shitty and hiding behind words when you post it everywhere where it's not even relevant and trying to pinhole every god damn discussion about this song into being about the "Good old days" just goes to show how duplicitous you're actually being.

Not mincing words. We get it. You want the band to make what you want them to make. You're placing the band on strings and screaming "Dance, puppets!" while trying to convince us (And perhaps yourselves) that that's not what you're actually saying. But no. That's not how art fucking works. And I'm sick and tired of seeing this shit in every fucking thread because some idiots can't handle the fact that bands maybe want to do different things.

You people exhaust me. The only purpose of fervently making and sharing song covers that go directly against the intent of the band, ones that only serve to further strife in an already divided fanbase, is an effort to shit on their creative decisions no matter how you try to frame it.

If you read this and understand what I'm saying, then cool. Just know that this attitude personally offends me, as someone who sees themselves as an artist. I don't want other musicians, especially ones I love, to be boxed up, caged, and told what to do, directly or indirectly. Whether that be by people who hate the band or those who consider themselves "fans".

It's a direct insult to a band's creative decision when the first thing you do after you hear a new song that sounds different is to try and make it sound like everything else they've done. Moreso when you post it obsessively in circles that are discussing said new song, even when the subject is only tangentially related to said song. Even moreso when the band has gone out of it's way for over a decade to distance itself from that sound. It just makes you look incredibly petty, no matter how you try to spin it.

You're like the musical equivalent of a bad ex that won't stop stalking his old girlfriend.

/steps down from soapbox

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

While I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad thing to do covers of the song in a different way, one thing for sure is that these covers that try to go copy an old style is something that will never be the same as LP, regardless how much these bands or musicians claim they can copy HT/Meteora style.

Aside from the fact that the nu-metal version of 'Heavy' LP made was easily done and in jest, you can still distinguish their signature sound in it. The covers done by other people? Doesn't come close to it. Like what Mike said in the podcast last year, even if the band tried to make another nu-metal album, it definitely won't sound and FEEL like their first 2 albums, and more so for other bands that try their desperate attempts to replicate them as well.

P.S: I don't exactly like the cover posted here as well, though it's slightly better than the other cover done by Bloodywood. Omg, that cover and comments just displays a huge cringe-fest.

LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

OMG. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Man, like or dislike the song, I'm really enjoying these comments. I wish I could like a comment multiple times.

Modern Guitar God and Sasuke like this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Alright, I hauled all your nu-metal cover discussions into this thread. Hopefully :disgust: ... nu-metal fans will be considerate in the future, and stop plugging their precious cover versions of "Heavy" in threads where they're not relevant.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

My biggest problem with these cover is that they are just forced to be heavy for the sake of being heavy.

"This new LP song sucks, let put there some guitars and screams (which are more unnecessary) and people will love it, because its heavy."

For example:

This is a more original and atleast well thought cover imo.

Nimz Lp

Nimz Lp niimz94

Hahahahahaha