Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown!

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Andrea, Feb 9, 2009.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Where did that album art come from?

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

It's on their official site. So it's real and legit. :)

Edit: Thanks Friskey, lol.

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

No problem. Because I clicked the Pre-Order link to see if it would lead me to the shop page of that album and I almost accidentally preordered it. :lol:

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Yeah, it's not as good as the American Idiot cover art, but I like the colours.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

the cover art is garbage if you ask me but I still want to listen to it :lol:

Chris Tucker

Chris Tucker Banned

That cover reminds me a lot of this:

[​IMG]

The_Cool_Cow

The_Cool_Cow Well-Known Member

^^ Yeah, that's what I thought too when I heard it.

Also, im not exaggerating here, but that it possibly the worst album cover that i've ever seen.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I broke down and pre-ordered. Even if it is politic-heavy, Green Day have always made good sounding tunes, so I'm under the impression it should be worth the $12.

If they come out with some deluxe edition for two or three dollars more after I already ordered this bitch I'll be very upset...

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

But that's the thing. I think a lot of people might be annoyed because they want to like it but they find the lyrics annoying.

I personally liked American Idiot back in 2004/05, but my music taste has changed since then so i don't listen to it anymore.

I didn't mind the political stuff now, and it was alright for the time. But the fact that they're continuing it really doesn't impress me.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

It seems more like it'll be a social commentary as opposed to a political one, with a couple of exceptions. Rather like American Idiot.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Really, I don't get the big fuss about American idiot being so political. Sure, there are a number of tracks with obvious political meanings (American Idiot, Holiday, Letterbomb), but then almost the whole other half of the album doesn't seem very political at all. Sure, there may be political undertones not as obvious, but songs like Blvd of Broken Dreams, She's A Rebel, Whatsername, etc. don't really scream political Green Day to me.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

lol just said that.

American Idiot only had two actually political tracks, and since one of those songs consisted of "aha, ur a idiotz dur hur hur!!!", I wouldn't exactly put that in the biting political commentary bin.

They should have called the album Jesus of Suburbia or something along those lines, something that would have represented the rock opera aspect of it, not the two seemingly stapled on "political" songs.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

I was hoping when they hinted at a more "power-pop" album, they'd go back in the direction of Warning or Nimrod. This sounds like another American Idiot to me though.

Hate the title, love the cover.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

People who call Jesus of Suburbia an Opera of any kind have no idea what Opera means. Wikipedia/Google it.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

It's called a rock opera. Wikipedia/Google it.

The_Cool_Cow

The_Cool_Cow Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure I would call it that, though. First off, it doesn't really tell a story (though it's a part of a larger story, therefore making the entire album a rock opera), and second off its not very cohesive. It seems like 5 songs staples together.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Rock bands have been doing long songs for decades now. Calling them all rock operas is dumb. And calling concept album's rock operas is also something i disagree with completely. They are not performed on stage (for the most part) and they usually just have the thoughts of one character whereas an opera would have many characters and voices.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

If I'm not mistaken both of the lengthier songs on American Idiot go into other points of view for a section or two. I know this at least for sure in the second, Homecoming.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

American Idiot has the thoughts of about 4 or 5 different characters in it (depending on whether you consider Jesus of Suburbia and St. Jimmy to be the same "character" or not). And I'm sure if Green Day had really wanted to, they could have brought in various guest vocalists to account for each character, but that probably would have just hurt the band's sense of identity on the album. They're Green Day, not Trans-Siberian Orchestra. And they've played the entire album live several times.

I also don't get why people are automatically assuming, based on a title and cover art, that this album is going to be "political," "social commentary," "American Idiot Part 2," or whatever. The title personally struck me as being something rather David Bowie-like, but there's nothing else to make me suspect as much. Putting any faith into the Rolling Stone interview just means you're leaving your opinion in the hands of someone else.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009