Got News?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Mark, May 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Like I said, I wasn't meaning to offend. I just found the inherent situation pretty funny.

2. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

The way you worded it says otherwise, but ok. Noted.

3. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah but it should also be noted that the billboard updates were posted as news eventually anyway. ;)

4. Andrea

Yeah, the billboard thing you quoted was posted here:

http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30330

So I don't even know why you quoted that. It makes your point invalid on that one.

The AOL one wasn't posted. Not sure why but it wasn't. We don't post every single thing. Maybe the president thing shouldn't have been posted, but I posted it and I now trashed it since you decided to complain about it. So..it's done and over with. Carry on.

5. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Passport: I'm going to give you an ultimatum here, because I'm honestly getting tired of your rudely worded and often smartass comments towards people on these boards.

Either knock it off, or the next time you're going to receive a warning for it. We could care less if you're better at English than the rest of us, and we don't need to know your smartass and partially antagonistic view of how we do our jobs around here. I've been biting my tongue for a while, but now I've had enough.

You need to stop what you're doing, or you'll be warned. It's not funny and quite frankly it pisses a lot of people off.

In your posts you may claim that you didn't mean to offend, but your behavior gets under people's skin whether you realize it or not. Therefore I'm asking you to please cut down on the snarky/smartass comments and just contribute like everyone else does. Thank you.

6. Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

Mike's LP decade list:

Ten years ago, I had just quit my job at a tiny graphic design house in North Hollywood. My band was writing our first album, and hoping record it maybe release it someday.

A lot has happened in the past ten years.

Those of you who visit this site probably already know a lot of the big deals in LP history; here is MY DECADE LIST: the top five most underrated (but important) things that happened to Linkin Park in the past ten years…

5 - INTRODUCING OURSELVES TO THE LABEL…THE WRONG WAY

In the late '90s, we had played for and been turned down by every major label (and many of the indies). Warner Bros. Records initially passed on us, but had a change of heart and decided to sign the band. Soon thereafter, we decided that we wanted to make an impression with our new "teammates." We immediately put out a message to the entire WBR staff: we wanted to meet them. We set a date, and took over their conference room. We sat them down, exchanged pleasantries, and gave them some paperwork that outlined who we were, what we intended to do, and how we thought our music, marketing, and fan club should be treated.

Imagine, for a moment, that you are a middle-aged record label employee with some experience in the "record business." You've had some big hits, and you consider yourself to be good at what you do. Then, imagine a young, unproven, newly-signed artist meets you in your conference room, to hand you a stack of papers telling you how to do your job. What?

I don't think we knew how risky it was to pull the stunt we pulled. Luckily, they were enamored by our "chutzpah," and decided to roll with us. The entire Warner staff was suddenly talking about the new band they just signed.

4 - SHANGHAI STADIUM, November 18th, 2007

Upon arrival in Shanghai, we knew the show was going to be special…but we had no idea. When we were met at the airport, our promotion and label staff informed us that the last two rock bands to play China at the time were Nine Inch Nails and The Rolling Stones. They told us the largest concert by a foreign rock artist was The Stones show, which was attended by roughly 12,000 people. We were about to play a show at Shanghai Stadium, which was easily two times that size.

Upon arrival, we saw the concert was heavily guarded by national police. Every few feet, all along the perimeter of the venue--EVERYWHERE--stood an officer in uniform. I wasn't sure if they were armed, but it was definitely different for us. We were informed that the police forces were all prepared to engage if there was any rioting, violence, etc...That scared the crap out of me. I pictured a few fans throwing something, the entire place erupting into violence, and foreign rock bands being banned from Chinese concerts for a long time. I thought it was a somewhat irrational fear. I was later informed that if a riot had occurred, the scenario above is exactly what would have happened.

Luckily, the Chinese fans--and our band and crew--never went down that path. it turned out to be one of the most exciting and important shows of our career so far. By the end, we even caught a few of the police guards nodding their heads to the music.

3 - LINKIN, NOT LINCOLN

Some of you know the story: when we were in the studio writing our first album, our band was called Hybrid Theory. Another band (on the label, I think) was called "Hybrid," and they didn't want us getting confused with them. We agreed. Sitting at our dirty, cheap rehearsal space in Hollywood, a number of names were thrown around. The only one we really liked was "Lincoln Park."

At the time, less than half the people we knew had email addresses and access to the internet. Dial-up was aggravatingly slow. Bands' "mailing lists" were all about phone numbers and home addresses. Someone (Brad, maybe?) suggested that it might be important to lincolnpark.com. We tried, and it was taken.

At the time, it seemed like a small and simple decision to change the new potential band name from "Lincoln" to "Linkin" in order to get the domain.

I once heard it put this way: if you were to start at a center point and draw a one-inch line, then change direction one degree and draw a second line, the two end points would be close together. It may seem like an insubstantial thing. But draw those two lines out hundreds of miles, and the end points will be miles apart. Sometimes a small change or decision can add up to a drastic difference in direction.

http://linkinpark.com

2 - MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

Fast forwarding to 2007: MTM was a special album for the band. Fans know that the songs and approach were different…but there was a deeper change that I remembered seeing, one that came from each personality in the band and multiplied by the guidance that Rick gave us. This was the exact moment where, creatively, the guys in the band came together more closely than ever before. There was more of a sense of camaraderie and collective creativity than ever before. Irrespective of the music, the band changed a lot in the 12-18 months we worked on that record. I think we grew up a lot, had a ton of fun making the album, and became much better friends.

1 - THE RETURN OF PHOENIX

Our bassist Phoenix and guitarist Brad were college roommates. We all played and recorded together in the beginning…but Phoenix was also committed to another band. He had been close friends with those guys before we ever met him, and when they left on a small tour, he went with them. I think we spent nearly a year bugging him to come back to the band. Touring without him, the balance of personalities in the band felt like a constant nagging issue. We knew the chemistry was off.

Some people think that he came back because we were starting to see some success and money. I know Dave; that's only a small part of the equation, if any part of it at all. He had made a promise to his other friends, and he fully intended to see that promise all the way through. He didn't come back to Linkin Park until his other band had run its course.

I am positive that if he had not, the dynamic in our band during those early years would have caused an implosion of some sort, and our band would have gone a far different (likely very negative) course.

Hope you liked the list. These were things that stuck out to me as big things that few people consider "milestones" in the band's career, but I know without them, we wouldn't be where we are today.

Looking forward to the new year, a new album, and whatever is to come in the next decade for Linkin Park. Happy New Year!

http://www.mikeshinoda.com/blog/linkin_park_/my_linkin_park_decade_list

7. Trumtram

Trumtram Well-Known Member

that should redefine the general opinion by quite a few lp fans about rick's impact on artists.

8. Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

New studio update!

We had our first Monday meeting of 2010. First, we took a listen to the first five songs, which are almost finished and sounding great. I was going to tell you guys the working titles...but I changed my mind. I realized if I did that, the linkinpark.com, lpunderground.com, and fan site forums would be flooded with threads about them, where people make crazy guesses about the songs' sounds based on the working title...followed by thousands of fake links to "leaked mp3s" within a few days. Since I have great respect for your valuable time, I won't tempt you to waste it on such things. :)

Anyway, back to Monday: We started thinking about the second batch...we have 15-20 songs that we like, and we'll be picking a new batch from those. There are a few common themes beginning to circulate in the lyrics and in the music. As I think I mentioned, the record might be a little more conceptual than our other ones. Not a "concept album" per se (it's not as far-out as that term would have you imagine), but it definitely has some thematic threads tying it together.

One funny thing came to mind as I was writing this: the term "genre busting" seems to keep coming up when talking about this album. In fact, if you Google "genre busting," the first thing you get is a link to an interview with me about this new music. If you read the piece, you'll see the following:

Linkin Park co-frontman Mike Shinoda says the band’s fourth studio album is going to be so unique, “they’re going to have to come up with a new genre name for what this record is.”

This offhanded comment was meant to be a bit of a joke. Most people don't take it as lightly as I meant it; because of that, part of me regretted saying it. But recently, there's a voice in the back of my head saying: Why not really make that the bar? "So unique that they'll have to make a new genre name." I don't know if we'll ever be able to hit that mark, but we might as well give it a shot.

http://www.mikeshinoda.com/blog/in_the_studio-linkin_park_/studio_update_jan_5_2010

9. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Shinoda says: "and yes, #HappyBDayRobBourdon" and that his blog is getting a new colour scheme. :)

10. El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Did you guys know this? I found it on wiki, they took it from lptimes who apparently have the entire chat transcript. Nice piece of info.

11. Luke

I'm not gonna post that simply because true or not it's old news. Thanks anyway though. ;)

12. El Muerto

Yeah, I knew it wasn't worth a whole new news thread, I just wanted to post it here for people to see it :)

13. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

http://mikeshinoda.com/2010/01/22/prince-william-and-linkin-park/

14. Andrea

I'd post what Prince William said, but I remember I made a post about the Russian President's comments and I got bitched at for it. So I'm not going to post it. If another member of the staff wants to post it, by all means do.

Thanks for informing us, by the way. :)

15. Luke

Wait...Prince William listens to Linkin Park?! The future King of my country listens to my favourite band...woah. :lol:

16. Derek

I never thought that post should've been deleted. I could honesty give two shits if people didn't think it was news, because not only is news concerning LP rather slow, but Mike posted it so it must be important to him.

If it's important to Mike, it's important to us. So if someone has a problem with it being posted? Tough.

I'll post this news on my first break (two hours from now), unless Andrea/Luke gets to it first.

17. El Muerto

Well I don't understand Russian that good, but I think Medvedev said he listens to some older rock music while his son likes alternative rock like LP and therefore he sometimes listens to it. The way I see it, he listens to LP the same way my parents listened to them when I was 15 - not of their own volition but because I played it all the time. :lol:

But yeah.. nevermind..

18. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

The members should post all, big and small, LP-related news in this thread. Whether it's News thread worthy is up to the staff. Lets just put it that way.

19. Derek

Thank you. :)

20. Andrea

You got it. Thanks. :)

Edit: We're not posting it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.