Gay/Lesbian Couples To Marry

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Cassie, Nov 8, 2004.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

So now I'm racist for thinking it's wrongfor 2 men to marry?

Cassie

Cassie The time to hesitate is through.

So now I'm racist for thinking it's wrongfor 2 men to marry? [/b][/quote]
    It's the principle.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

same principle. If you dont support the right for 2 men to marry, you might as well say that a black person cant marry a white person which then would make you racist.

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

I don't see anything wrong with it really. I'm not a homophobe in any way whatsoever. I think if they find love they should be allowed to marry. They are still human beings. Just because they are different does not mean they have to be treated any differently

x

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

I don't see anything wrong with gay and lesbian couples marrying.

Y

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

If I explained what I believed regarding same sex marriages, I'd end up confusing myself.

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

It's a totally different principle. One principle, according to you, makes youa bigot, the other only makes you a racist.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

It's a totally different principle. One principle, according to you, makes youa bigot, the other only makes you a racist. [/b][/quote]
    No, not really...what I believe Todd means is that discriminating one group is no different then discriminating another. Sure, there are specific names, but it's still discrimination.

A lot of people who support gay marriage have stated their case, but almost none of the opposers have--so speak up guys.

Ryan

No, not really...what I believe Todd means is that discriminating one group is no different then discriminating another. Sure, there are specific names, but it's still discrimination.

A lot of people who support gay marriage have stated their case, but almost none of the opposers have--so speak up guys. [/b][/quote]
    Well like i've said i don't support it, but i've come to the realization that society is changing daily. So today's society is alot different than the socity a hundred years aog when everybody based every action of theirs form the bible. So basically i've come to accept it if thats what a person really wants.

So for the people who don't believe it it is a simple case of the the bible says. The definition of mariage in the bible is the union of 2 people, 1 man, 1 woman. So basically god created adam and eve, not adam and steve.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

Well like i've said i don't support it, but i've come to the realization that society is changing daily. So today's society is alot different than the socity a hundred years aog when everybody based every action of theirs form the bible. So basically i've come to accept it if thats what a person really wants.

So for the people who don't believe it it is a simple case of the the bible says. The definition of mariage in the bible is the union of 2 people, 1 man, 1 woman. So basically god created adam and eve, not adam and steve. [/b][/quote]
    Un problema. Not everyone in this nation believes/follows the Bible. Passing a law based on the Bible that:
    1. Is so controversial
    2. Restricts the civil liberties of a group of people based on gender, race, and/or sexual orientation
    should not be allowed to be passed under our constitution.

RX8LP

RX8LP Well-Known Member

i somewhat oppose it. Though i couldnt care less about it.

I think it just based on peoples beliefs. If you think gay marriages are wrong then your not gonna be able to convince that person to see otherwise. And same goes with racism.

Ryan

Un problema. Not everyone in this nation believes/follows the Bible. Passing a law based on the Bible that:
    1. Is so controversial
    2. Restricts the civil liberties of a group of people based on gender, race, and/or sexual orientation
    should not be allowed to be passed under our constitution. [/b][/quote]
    Well yah i understand that, but I'm saying that at least 60% of people who oppose same sex marriages would base it on that.

Cassie

A lot of people who support gay marriage have stated their case, but almost none of the opposers have--so speak up guys. [/b][/quote]
    Most heterosexuals in North America probably hold viewpoints which are intermediate between the above two extremes:

- Being heterosexual, they feel uncomfortable with the idea of homosexual behavior.
    - They may regard same-sex behavior as intrinsically sinful, no matter what the nature of the relationship.
    - Most reject the concept of same-sex marriage.
    - Many favor allowing same-sex couples to enter into civil unions or domestic partnerships with some or all of the traditional benefits of marriage.
    - A large majority would like to see gays, lesbians, and bisexuals -- in fact, persons of all sexual orientations -- protected from abuse, firing, discrimination in accommodation, etc.

Source
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/homosexu.htm

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

i dont have a problem, but the discrimination will always be there, regardless of what laws are made or broken or whatever, just like racism. that is the way it is. if you are different, you will be discriminated. but again, i dont have a problem with gay marriage.

x

Cassie

Different...

What defines different? Everyone is unique, it makes us different.

I do understand your point though, it's great, it's unfortunate it's a negative one. :\

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

different cannot be defined. if someone says you are different and does not like who you are, they will act in a different (no pun intended) way than they would to someone else. it is because people are insecure, but nothing will be fixed in the next 4 years because we have one of those insecure people now as a president. gay people are not the norm, and people dont' know how to handle it. it might be wrong, but that is the way it is.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Most heterosexuals in North America probably hold viewpoints which are intermediate between the above two extremes:

- Being heterosexual, they feel uncomfortable with the idea of homosexual behavior.
    - They may regard same-sex behavior as intrinsically sinful, no matter what the nature of the relationship.
    - Most reject the concept of same-sex marriage.
    - Many favor allowing same-sex couples to enter into civil unions or domestic partnerships with some or all of the traditional benefits of marriage.
    - A large majority would like to see gays, lesbians, and bisexuals -- in fact, persons of all sexual orientations -- protected from abuse, firing, discrimination in accommodation, etc.

Source
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/homosexu.htm [/b][/quote]
    I am heterosexual and hold very strong beliefs supporting homosexuals. Todd is right; you are discriminating part of the human race to be against homosexuality.

What is a bigot? I've never heard that term before...

Ryan

A Bigot is basically someone who discriminates. Here is the definition form the dictionary: One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

htep.fan

htep.fan Well-Known Member

OPPOSE.

First, I accept of any race or ethnicity, that comparison between color of skin or ethnical roots and sexual orientations is way off, and that if I accept interracial/ethnical marriages (are there people against this?) but not homosexuals' doesn't seem wrong to me. I just don't support this. Marriage=institution between man and woman so that they can procreate. I myself tolerate, not accept (when you tolerate, you hold any opposing views inside; when you accept, you eliminate the views), sexual minorities, according to my morals, but according to those morals (everyone has morals, no matter their creed) marriage is for heterosexuals, because is in marriage where you are supposed to procreate, and homosexuals can't do that. However, I support the creations of civil unionsthat guarantee homosexuals same benefits as in marriages, and also support that they shouldn't be abused or discriminated in any kind.

Yeah, call me stupid or republican or whatever. But give me the freedom of belief that you are supposed to have in this country.

Y

Link04

Link04 Ambient

You just contradicted yourself. You said you're against discrimination, yet opposed to homosexual marriage. Exclusion is discrimination. If you go the way of civil unions, you remain contradicting. Separation is not equal, and the only way discrimination will diminish is if homosexuals are treated like everyone else.