Do you Believe in God?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by esaul17, Feb 24, 2007.

?

Do you Believe in God?

1. Yes, as part of a established religion

31 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. Yes, but I don't adhere to any established dogma

14 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. No, I believe God does not exist (or is highly unlikely to exist)

26 vote(s)
    29.9%
  4. I believe it is just as likely for God to exist and not exist, so I'm agnostic

16 vote(s)
    18.4%
    Ark

Ark Active Member

I believe in God, I was raised a Christian, and I haven't seen any reason to divert from those beliefs yet. I do think it's ridiculous to try and force my beliefs on others, if you believe, then you believe, if you don't, then you don't. I try not to get incredibly personal about it.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Ahh yes, the age-old religious debates.

The debating equivalent of a dog chasing its tail.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Ahahah, yeah. Tis what happens when one side believes off of faith instead of logic.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

why debate it?

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

The same reason people debate everything else: to share and discuss opinions.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

yeah, i guess you're right.
    i guess i sort of take the word "debate" to mean "argue".
    its just sort of a thing that i imply.
    and i just don't see the point of arguing about religion.
    nevermind buddy.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

When it comes to that... what Mark said, basically.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Well, debate is a tool used to seek truth. If a God did exist, I would want to know of Him. If he didn't, I'd like to be more sure of that too. Debating God allowed us to show how, from a logical perspective, he is impossible.

You can still go on faith. But if you value logic greatly, a debate can show you what is more plausible.

Debate is what allowed atheism to become such an appealing platform. It allows us to think rationally. You will never change the mind of someone who outright rejects logic, but it doesn't mean the debating is useless.

One of the better ways to test if you were wrong, expose yourself to other opinions.

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

Myself, I don't believe in what the catholics or what other religions call god. It is logical to believe that one essential thing or a single object of existence created what we know as dimensions and what we know as universes. I believe in that. I don't believe in calling it god however. I won't pray to this thing or be forced to. I believe whatever it is started existence and whatever it is will most likely finish existence - possibly an essential cycle to existence. Henceforth the big bang theory and that this event has occurred many times through multiple existences.

If I were to believe in this god, my explanation would be that the god that religions believe in is all around. They state that god exists. To be frank with that statement is imperative to believe that since god exist (in a religion), god is existence. From that point on word the statement arrives - god exist because existence is existing. This statement being from the "isness of is" type of explanation.

im 16 years old and i just ranted like Jeff Goulblum

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
    Version One

Version One Well-Known Member

I do believe in God, and am Christian. However, I respect the opinions of others, and will not force my beliefs upon anyone.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I personally never saw a problem with a infinite regression of causes. It always seemed odder to me to imagine a point where everything "began". Also, it has been shown that it is more likely that our universe will expand forever and never retract. So multiple Big Bangs seems unlikely.

I am not fully disagreeing with you, and thought your post was quite interesting. Just adding in my two cents.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

We are in a time where we're developing new technologies so quickly. It doesn't seem like a very impossible idea to be able to create a living organism, or program of sorts, with the ability to problem solve. If such and such happens, develop a scenario to get around it. Machines that might be able to solve things on their own. A sort of AI maybe. I definitely don't think it's impossible for us to program.

Michael Crichton wrote a book called Prey that warned about the future of nanotechnology, and the inevitable truth that we are developing technology that could get out of hand. It's logical.

The movie Robots, although a fictional-action-futuristic-movie, I believe shows how one creature can program another creature with actual living characteristics, possibly even emotions.

How does this play in to the God hypothesis? It's just something to think about, but do you think that it's logical that since we're on the edge of creating technology with this power, that we could have been created by a bunch of creatures that have just simply been around longer? It's like a Matrix idea, or a Men in Black example, of us living in a world that's actually much different than anyone thinks.

I'm not saying I believe in this, but doesn't it seem logical? I believe if we could program or produce a living organism like that then there is no reason someone couldn't have done it before us.

Dart

Dart Well-Known Member

no...i don't believe in God...though i still write his name in capital letter :)

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

It isn't IMPOSSIBLE. I just think we would likely see some evidence of our creators. But a Matrix scenario could potentially work.

JoMe

JoMe Well-Known Member

I don't believe in God. I was raised in a family where noone believe in God, so I kind of never have been believing. I respect all that does believe in a God of some sort that be Buddha, Allah, God or whatever religion they might have though.

"/Shawn08\"

"/Shawn08\" Well-Known Member

I believe in God to an extent (if that makes sense). I've been raised christian, but to be honest I haven't gone to church or any type of religious gathering/charity thing since i was about 8 or 9. I don't push Christianity on anyone and I have nothing against people who have different religious beliefs.

Stonecold

Stonecold Your Portal To Everything Cool!

I'm not a religious guy or anything but...yeah I do believe in God.

mainly because if u looked around you and see all the living creatures and nature and earth itself and the magnificents of the galaxy and everything, u must consider that there's someone who created all this, and I don't believe that life ends after u die, cuz there's good people in life and there's the bad ones...so it's not fair to even thier destiny.

and yes I believe there's heaven and hell, and you'll end up in one of them after u die according to your actions in life.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Lots of assumptions there. If something looks designed, it doesn't have to be. Look at evolution for example. There is no proof that destiny or fate exists, and the world doesn't work on "fairness". If you assume it to be fair, you more or less assume there is a God. The world isn't fair, and there is no God.

Stonecold

Stonecold Your Portal To Everything Cool!

well....we'll just have to wait and see bro.

20. Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

It's our own William Paley.

Do people stop being people in heaven?