Chester Bennington Support Thread - We're here for you

Discussion in 'Chester Bennington' started by Kevin, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Hybrid

Hybrid Meow! This cat has claws! LPA Team

It's been well documented that grief is not a linear path and it's something we all deal with differently. I still remember the first LP song I heard that day was Papercut on the radio. I didn't put on my Ipod, but rather I wanted to listen to the radio to see what people were saying. I was still in disbelief. Papercut came on and I instantly lost it. Maybe jumping in feet first wasn't the best thing to do, but after I heard the song, I kept going back to more music. Eventually, after a few weeks, I was able to listen and find joy again. (I still get emotional listening at times) I suppose that was my path of grief. Like I said, each person is different and there were points in time there to where I couldn't handle it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there will come a day where you will visit the music like an old friend and it will be there to comfort you. You'll know when you're ready to listen to it. It's not going anywhere and it's always there for you. Take your time.

YoMarques likes this.
  2. Xero-G

Xero-G Linkin Park: Fanbase United

Hello everyone, just logged in for the first time in a while, after hearing the new songs from Mike. The last 8 months have been very difficult, an endless series of ups and downs, joy-filled highs and rock-bottom lows. It's still so hard to believe that he is gone for good, and soon after releasing an album that he was very proud of working on. I've gone over the events leading up to his untimely demise again and again in my head, trying to piece together what I understand. Yet, one thing is clear to me: his death still doesn't make much sense at all. His general happiness and demeanor around the release of One More Light suggested a certain contentedness and satisfaction, and there weren't any immediate telltale signs of severe depression, at least not publicly. Despite the controversy surrounding the album, Chester strongly appeared to be beaming with pride, as several of the songs were deeply personal for him. Perhaps his public persona was too convincing for the vast majority of us, and the severe depression that he grappled with was far deeper than we could have ever imagined.

I hope to one day have full closure of his passing. Never had I imagined that this would actually happen, despite the dark, depressing lyrics that often permeated Linkin Park's songs. I was fully convinced that Chester channeled his depression and grief through the songs, using them as an outlet, so that he would no longer feel the way he described himself in those songs. I truly thought that he put most of his difficult past behind him, and was well on his way to a significant recovery.

Mike is absolutely right, as nothing makes sense anymore.

3. YoMarques

YoMarques Linkin Park Soldier. LPUer.

Thank you so much. I'm sorry about how it went when you found out. If I revisit that day and how it went for me, I completely lose it still. Each of us has a different story about it, and it's still so hard to remember. But I'm glad you can find joy again when listening to the songs. Thank you for those last words, it means a lot :')

Dekar and Hybrid like this.
  4. Hybrid

Hybrid Meow! This cat has claws! LPA Team

Hugs. You're welcome. It's quite true though. It's not a race and you're not alone in this. :)

YoMarques likes this.
  5. YoMarques

YoMarques Linkin Park Soldier. LPUer.

Thank you, forever grateful for all of you :)

Hybrid likes this.
  6. about2break

about2break Well-Known Member

I probably shouldn't dwell on this. It's just still sad. I guess in time though, I'll be able to listen to it again without bawling. I guess we should make Chester proud, like Mike, and push forward. Crossing the line??!! Right? (the new song) I'm feeling very "poetic" right now, not even sure how much sense I'm making. If you got me, then super! :D If not, then nevermind. ;)

7. about2break

So yeah, the new songs, eh?? "Crossing the line".

Edit: "Crossing A line" my bad!

Folks, I'm a little overwhelmed in thoughts and struggled to breathe from this bad bout of allergy season. I think I'll come back and try to catch up on this thread. I might need some support too,...that's why I'm struggling to write all of this stuff and make sense. I'll probably check back in here tomorrow and be like, "what did i just write??!!" lol

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  8. about2break

Just catching up. I guess it's not to be totally expected that a newbie member to this forum need keep up with everything, but I really appreciate this thread and wanted to share my condolences and sympathies over your grieving.

To YoMarques,
    i agree with the others who say we grieve at our own pace and that you have to take care of yourself first. I know it can be frustrating when you feel like you want to show more support, but trust me, it's understandable to step back. I think others, like myself, tend to resubmerge quicker to push through the process, but that doesn't mean I don't fall back again sometimes. I think it shows something that you've come to this forum, to this thread and have spoken up. That's the first step to healing...and I share that piece of insight with xero-g too.

Xero-g,
    Welcome back. It's a bittersweet time right now with the new music and stuff. Clearly there is much good in this, but I can understand folks being surprised or others not ready to move on so fast. It's not really moving on, it's more putting a positive slant (I say this cautiously). It's just, it's good that something can be done now. Action, as I said before, is a good first step. I have Mike and all the other members of LP in my heart that they can stay in this positive mindset. It's clearly not easy, just look to the lyrics, but they are pushing forward, for themselves first but good role models bringing their fans along with them. You talk about it not making sense, that's the bittersweetness. Ideally we'd want Chester here in this process too, but I think he'd be smiling down on his buddy Mike right now, impressed with his courage.

YoMarques likes this.
  9. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Just watching a live video of "Blackout" at the moment, and it occurred to me that I never got to hear that song performed at the shows I went to.

I had a friend who was going to the Melbourne ATS show right after the date that I attended, and I told her that they didn't play "Blackout", which really disappointed her. Then, at that Melb show, the gave that song its live debut along with "Burning In The Skies".