Brad... Talentless or just being held back.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by maxiscool, Jun 21, 2005.

Mushroom Cloud

Mushroom Cloud Well-Known Member

Slipknot. Did they have solos in any of the albums? I don't think so.

J Money: I'm not comparing Linkin Park to anyone. They just aren't heavy. Period. They are a rock, rap hybrid. Not death metal. Not heavy metal. Not even metal. They aren't heavy. Saying Linkin Park is heavy is like saying Bush is the best president in the universe.

Linkin Parks' "darkest" song is Breaking The Habit. WoOoOooo...dark. [/b][/quote]
    that is not lps darkest song....of course I suppose people have different ideas of what is dark.....

anyways....In response to the idea of guitar solos....I dont think LP should shred like 80's hair metal crap....but I do think they need to have more 'intermissons' in the songs ....whether that includes a guitar or not, they need something to make the songs longer...yet still interesting. Guitar solos also dont have to be fast and go up and down every octave either....they can be slow and simple...they are just something to progress the song..and Im sure lp could do something like that and have it fit there style....personally I just think they are too afraid to at least try.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

i like the idea of guitar interludes, sounds interesting.

hopefully they wont be 'affraid' and they might do something along those lines

wierd_lpfan

wierd_lpfan Active Member

Dude, what are you smoking? [/b][/quote]
    I'm not a dude, I'm a girl. And I"m not smoking anything, I'm just high on life...or more like high on LP's music...>.<...b/c that is my life...

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

i like the idea of guitar interludes, sounds interesting.

hopefully they wont be 'affraid' and they might do something along those lines [/b][/quote]
    I think that would be cool, if they had interludes with actual instruments as well as samples and turntables. Like A.06.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

I'm not a dude, I'm a girl. And I"m not smoking anything, I'm just high on life...or more like high on LP's music...>.<...b/c that is my life... [/b][/quote]
    Word of advice. Leave computer chair, put shoes on, grab a jacket, open the door, and go outside.

You can thank me later. ;)

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Cameron, you should seriously consider becoming an agony aunt. That's honestly some of the best advice I've ever seen someone give.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

Yeah, I'd be an angry aunt, but seeing as I have testicles, that's not happening. Ever. :lol:

Matt

Matt Official Ghost of the LPA LPA Super Member

I'm not a dude, I'm a girl. And I"m not smoking anything, I'm just high on life...or more like high on LP's music...>.<...b/c that is my life... [/b][/quote]
    Alright, I apologize for the dude thing, but the dork thing kind of threw me off.

And Mushroom Cloud's right. Solos don't have to be flashy. Just look at Green Day. They're one of the most succesful bands out there right now, and hardly any solos Billie Joe plays are more than 20 seconds long, and they're really just some leads that fit in with the rhythm. I'd just like to hear something interesting from Brad. Effects over some lead riffs would be just fine with me.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Word of advice. Leave computer chair, put shoes on, grab a jacket, open the door, and go outside.

You can thank me later. ;) [/b][/quote]
    LMAO :lol:

I think I speak for everyone here when I say that LP is a good aspect of our lives but living for LP? Sweet jesus of suburbia :lol:

Ant

Ant Ambient

I think calling Brad "talentless" is an extreme smack in the face of a decent guitarist and a good man... even suggesting such a thing is a shameful act. I can't believe you actually are implying that if he's not being "held back" that he's talentless, personally. That's just my opinion and I'm sure some will disagree, but at least give the man a shred of respect for being a human being.

Secondly, is Brad the best guitarist out there? No, absolutely not. He's not even close, to be honest with you, and I'm sure that he'd agree with that statement. But does that mean he's a bad guitarist? Nope. Tim Fluckey from Adema never had a real solo on "Adema" or on "Unstable", yet he tore it up on "Planets" with a few solos (listen to "Vikraphone" and you'll get what I mean...), so maybe Brad is being held back. Another person that comes to mind is Ryan Shuck from Orgy -- he doesn't play any amazingly complex guitar riffs or anything, yet if you've ever seen him play you'll be amazed. He can do some pretty crazy stuff.

But, the thing is, we don't even know if he is being held back or not. If he at least attemtped "Sweet Child 'O Mine" (which he did), that implies that he at least thought he had played it once... give the man credit for trying, he has some balls. You can say he embarassed himself if you want, but I have respect for anyone even willing to try to do that.

Sure, his stuff may not be amazing or complex, but the man has a talent. Sure he's not the best ever, but not every guitarist is going to blow your mind. Why is it that Brad's the one that always gets singled out when none of the other members of Linkin Park do anything absolutely amazing, either? The reason most people like Linkin Park is because it's cohesive -- everything fits, nothing's too complex, and it just sounds appealing to the ear (or, at least, to those who like the band). Is that not enough for you? Does something have to do more than sound good to not "disgust" you?

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

I respect what you said in that post greatly, and I respect you for it. I know Brad isn't the greatest guitarist, like I have said I believe he is very untalented...but it could be a misconception. However it's not my fault that I haven't seen any potential from him.

You did remind me however to like a band for how they sound, and that a song doesn't have to be complex or involve shredding/soloing. But I need more from them. My music tastes have evolved and I can't stand the basic nu metal formula that Linkin Park uses. A solo or even interludes that some people have been talking about would do some justice. If something doesn't change soon though, my support for them will be gone. I will always have some love for Hybrid Theory and what was before it, but Reanimation and after, in my opinion, is terrible. Though Collision Course, from what I have heard of it, is a bit interesting.

50Ld13R

50Ld13R Member

so has anybody actually heard Brad outside the band, because your all judging him on the guitar style used in LP. Anyway i think Brad is a great guitarist for the band and i look forward to the new music comming out, hopefully.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Oh, I'm with you completely, man. I think he does need to step it up on a few songs if he wants more respect from guitarists, but I also think that if a song sounds good that it's really not needed, for the most part. Then again, I said the same thing for Adema (and I thought they'd never have solos), and then Tim ripped it open on "Planets." So hey, you never know.

I hope the next CD has a solo or two on it... but if it doesn't and still sounds good I won't care. But we still can't say for certain that he's not a good guitarist. I think calling him "very untalented" is stretching things quite a bit, however. Like I said: if he attempted to at least try to play "Sweet Child O' Mine," then he must have practiced it and thought he could at least attempt it... I give the guy credit for trying. Who knows, maybe he actually did play it at a concert none of us has head a bootleg from or something.

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

Oh, I'm with you completely, man. I think he does need to step it up on a few songs if he wants more respect from guitarists, but I also think that if a song sounds good that it's really not needed, for the most part. Then again, I said the same thing for Adema (and I thought they'd never have solos), and then Tim ripped it open on "Planets." So hey, you never know.

I hope the next CD has a solo or two on it... but if it doesn't and still sounds good I won't care. But we still can't say for certain that he's not a good guitarist. I think calling him "very untalented" is stretching things quite a bit, however. Like I said: if he attempted to at least try to play "Sweet Child O' Mine," then he must have practiced it and thought he could at least attempt it... I give the guy credit for trying. Who knows, maybe he actually did play it at a concert none of us has head a bootleg from or something. [/b][/quote]
    I doubt that there is a bootleg of the song, because the reason they played the song was that Guns n` Roses was at the concert (I think that's what I read somewhere here on LPA.)

Anyways, I doubt that Brad will end up busting out some solos, "interludes" would be nice.

Mushroom Cloud

Mushroom Cloud Well-Known Member

I think I speak for the majority of us when I say LP better step up and impress us musically if they plan to have a steady fan base.

I personally like meteora...its a decent album.....but we all know from hearing LPs other stuff that they are capable of a lot more. Still, I can forgive Meteora......the sophmore album HAS to be commercially successful, so I cant really blame LP for using the same formula and submitting some controll to the people sponsoring them.....and the side projects I can forgive a bit because...hey.....at least they are experimenting........but for the third album....they gotta impress not just the blind fans out there, they gotta impress the more serious music audience, and gain respect from there peers.

Lp may be able to do that without having more advanced guitar....but it would certainly help. If this next album is not at least HTEP quality....I dont think I can stick with LP for much longer

wierd_lpfan

LMAO :lol:

I think I speak for everyone here when I say that LP is a good aspect of our lives but living for LP? Sweet jesus of suburbia :lol: [/b][/quote]
    I live for LP!! Actually...they keep me from comitting suicide... :wth:

bennylp

bennylp Guest

Yea, i love linkin park for their simple guitar riffs, and songs, but it wouldn't it be nice if in the new album, in one or two songs, Brad just riped a solo???

But, in another thread, someone said that if LP weren'y held back, it would just sound like noise, so maybe thats why everything is so simple

Had that feling once as well, my girlfriend of 1 year left me for my best friend since kindergarten. So, i listened to From The Inside (lost count after about 120) heaps "Take Everything From The Inside, And Throw It All Away, Coz I Swear For The Last Time, I Won't trust myself with you...I won't waste myself on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Especially that bit, coz it helped me forget about the pain

EDIT: Spelling...again

jmj

jmj Active Member

LP by no means needs solos just maybe some variation and dual guitar play...

In certain songs there is a nice bit of play from Brad or a combo of Brad and Mike. Like P5hing Me @way, there's a nice smooth lead guitar riff, and Mike's rhythm figure. They also display this in a few other songs such as Somewhere I Belong, Faint, Easier to Run, and Crawling.

Oddly enough I'd agree with a lot of people LP does have some simplistic guitar patterns but with there more experimental songs it sounds better. In The End features a mean almost under riff which was sampled and played by Brad with a bright distortion during the chorus and the heavy riffs during the chorus. Another good example of this is BTH, in which Brad plays through clean and it comes out great the repetitive nature of the sounds as a whole especiall the guitar drive there songs along.

Hopefully if anything they'll do like they've said and use the sound and compositions of songs like BTH as a template for the next album.

Brad is a pretty good guitarist he pulled of "Wish", "Jane Says", and "My Own Summer" flawlessly. "Jane Says" has some pretty nice variants and that alone to me speaks volumes to me about Brad and what he's capable of.

wierd_lpfan

*stabs self* just ignore my earlier posts...

Dart

Dart Well-Known Member

i`ll be impressed by brad when he plays The Flight of the Bumble Bee on his dear guitar.i heard it.it`s possible.it`s crazy complicated piece of work.