Books

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by [Darken Hybrid], Jun 19, 2003.

Bryan

Bryan Guest

I agree with Amy.

MentalMel911

MentalMel911 Banned

Holes
    Harry Potter series (I'm kinda sick of it now...)
    Dark Secrets series
    Tuck Everlasting

I suck, I read kiddy books. I will add more later on..

LPxchicaxMKS

LPxchicaxMKS Well-Known Member

I only read when i have to for english..for reports and stuff but i end up picking up some good books..

Shiloh
    To kill A mocking bird
    The Giver
    Romiette and Julio
    Tears of a Tiger
    Forge by a fire
    Flowers For Algernon
    Holes

Flowers for Algernon and The Giver were probably the best books i have ever read in my life...both of those books are sooo good!

Crazy.Desperate.Insane

Crazy.Desperate.Insane Well-Known Member

Adeline Yen Mah's Falling Leaves.. It's a very good written autobiography..

I'm still up to "Woman who had Twon Navels".. I have read it 4 years ago.. I found it nice but there a lot of symbolism that I might not have understood before.. It's nice to reread the book after years.. You begin to realize that you mature, you grow by noticing the new opinions and insights you have..

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

I absolutely love the Lord of the Rings series. Everything has so much background and there isnt something that isnt pieced with a whole story. Plus....Sauron is just the coolest enemy ever. I mean, villians in other stories, when they die, theyre gone. Sauron kept his soul alive in the form of a freakin eyeball on top of his tower. Even the Ring (which i obviously own also :p ) has evil potential.

Plus Gollum is a paranoid schitzophrenic with narcissistic rage issues. :)

White Pony(turntables)

White Pony(turntables) Ambient

John Grisham Books = best books ever!!!

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

Best Books = Books with acouple of words and lots and lots of pictures.

LProckon

LProckon Well-Known Member

Sounds like my kind of books :teehee:

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Although all books suck, I must say this:

Harry Potter totally blows. The rules will not let me describe what I truly think of the book. But the rules will let me say I think the series is stupid, brainwashes kids (my brother has 7 harry potter video games, 5 are for the gameboy alone. definatley brainwashing) and the plot sucks and they shouldn't be liked by anyone but little kids. It's worse than the freaking pokemon craze. I know many will disagree with me, but thats how I feel. Anyone with half a brain would read something more interesting and oriented for their age group, not something about a stupid 15 year old kid who waves a wand around.

Jawknee

Jawknee Guest

It's only super popular because of the movies, Todd. You think a BOOK would get that popular? Hell no. It takes a movie to do so. I never heard of Potter until the first movie and I got all 4 books because I wanted to compare and see what happens later. It's pretty interesting stuff, even for kids books.

CinnamonSpider

CinnamonSpider Well-Known Member

Kim, you have a list of almost all my favorites!
    The House on Mango Street is one of the best, delightful and poignant.
    Of Mice and Men was so good i permanently borrowed the book from the school.
    The Crucible is also a great book, it captures the sense of the late 1600s as well as the hysteria and injustice of the red scare.

LProckon

LProckon Well-Known Member

I went to the library today (*gasp*) and I checked out 1984. Even though I've already read it last year, I thought it'd be nice to read it without being forced to. Plus, it's got an interesting storyline and Orwell is a good writer. I also checked out The Daria Diaries ^_^

LPxchicaxMKS

true that...i totally agree with you. I do not know why people will get soo excited about little kids playing with wands and doing witchcraft and stuff..its just soo stupid to me. Some people that live in my neighborhood are brainwashed by Harry Potter..Harry Potter bed sheets, toys,videogames, plates, cups, you name it. Now its all starting to go all crazy again since the new book is coming out :(

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

I read all sorts of Fantasy stuff. I read LOTR like 5 years ago, and thats what got me into Fantasy. Some other authors (other than Tolkien of course) I like are Terry Brooks, Robert Jordan, George RR Martin, Guy Gavriel Kay, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, Terry Goodkind, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle(mystery but they're still really good).

Sludge Factory

Sludge Factory Well-Known Member

I like some comic books! :) But I dont read, especially novels. But my favorite book is still... The Bible (which I still have to get around to reading sometime...) ;) :D

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Everyone, before I read them a couple of years ago, I had the EXACT same outlook as you. Dumb little kids playing with wands and stuff. Actually, JK Rowling instills the same magic (no pun intended) that someone like Roald Dahl did with his books that made them appealing to all ages. Kids will love the adventures and stuff that relate to them, while more mature people will enjoy the indepth characters, twisting plot, and how Rowling somehow gets you so into the story and the characters in it. It is also a very amusing series, she knows how to make you laugh. I do agree however, that the movies and all the merchandise that has come out is AWFUL, just a money scam, but the books are great and you shouldn't just dismiss them, especially if you haven't read them because I changed my opinion right away. They aren't my favourite books of all time, but they are good reads.

LinkinTheory

LinkinTheory Well-Known Member

Wheel of Time (huge books)
    Lord of the Rings
    Star Wars Novels (the big ones, not Jedi Apprentice)
    The Count of Monte Cristo
    Robinson Crusoe
    Holes
    The Giver (the sequel sucked)

Most of those are a crap load of reading. And no, reading does not suck. It does not make anyone dumber. You get dumber because they make you read and it strains your brain.

Chrissy

Chrissy Super Member

I like your reading taste, and i also like your reason to read. yes that's a lot of reading, but isn't it worth it when you're finished with the books?

yes, i love all your selections ^_^, welcome to LPA, by the way! (ooooh that rhymes)

tifferz

tifferz Well-Known Member

dude, as stupid as this may sound, i love 2 read :D my favs:

The Flowers In The Attic series by V.C. Andrews(ne1 here like her?)

Ne book by her, I've read all of 'em :p

Hard Love(awesome, awesome, awesome)

Speak(very good, it keeps u guessing until the end)

Go Ask Alice(sad, about drugs, but reely good)

A Child Called It(also reely sad, about child abuse...i think it's part of a series)

Cut(self-explanatory...REELY good...sheds light on an issue that NEEDS to be talked about...go read it! :p :lol:)

The Luckiest Girl In The World(amazing)

uhhh...this sux, i cant think of nemore but i've read so many books...i do that as much as i listen to music :rolleyes: :lol:

LPxchicaxMKS

ooo People tell me this is a REALLY REALLY good book...i've been meaning to read it but just never had time.