Barack Obama

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by The Fortunate One, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Every time I hear Obama speak, I hear a man who's smart and has good reasoning. I'm trying really hard to grasp what it is people don't like about him. What is so bad about his views? Why have so many people wrote him off or even worse never gave the man a chance? What did you actually expect to happen in 3 years? I will say that Obama hasn't executed everything he's promised and he's had a couple screw ups (Libya for example) but at least the guy is logical and has the long term ability to start the process of getting us out of this mess.

You guys have to realize that his situation is impossible. He's working with a congress that is completely incompetent at doing their job. The debt deal was a complete joke. But it's hard to blame the president when he was just trying to avoid defaulting. I'm sure he knew that actually trying to compromise with Republicans was impossible. The GOP's stance on taxes is nothing short of disgusting. Are people here to tell me that you'd rather have a president who would never increase taxes and just pray (literally...) that the economy will just magically grow because rich people have more money to, uh, "create jobs"? If a Republican beats Obama then you can count on the Bush Tax cuts being extended. Derek Minus Oswald save us all.

2. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

In Obama's defense, if anyone else was in office, we'd be in the same situation most likely, maybe even worse. For me, I don't know what I was expecting in 2008, but nothing has changed. His whole platform was about change, and the only form of change we've seen is bad change, whether it's his fault indirectly or not. Despite all of this, I really don't see a Republican winning, but I don't really care if Bachmann or Paul or Romney or even Obama wins. My first time voting and I'm already sick to the stomach at the thought of politics and all of this bullshit. It's just not worth it, I don't care how you fucking slice it. If it's not evident by now that we as a people don't get what we want and our voices AREN'T being heard, then it'll never be obvious. Why vote when nothing is ever really going to change without something HUGE happening?

Yeah, I'm not the most politically oriented guy. I couldn't tell you what change I wanted or expected, or even what a downgraded credit score really means for us as a nation, but I get the general idea. I'm sure you, or Todd, or Derek or someone will come in here and destroy everything I just said, but I mean... I've lost all faith in this guy. I have no faith in anyone involved in politics, they don't have our interests close to their heart. I went from crying at his speech in 2008 when after he was announced the winner, to literally not giving a single iota of a fuck what he or anyone else says.

We should be rioting in the streets, not England.

3. Benjamin

You're just frustrated like the rest of us.

http://current.com/shows/countdown/...t-the-four-great-hypocrisies-of-the-debt-deal
    This is the vid Jesse showed a few pages back. It's so good that it needed to be shared again. It sums up the state of this country perfectly.

And on a slightly different note, do we have to throw the term "tea baggers" around? It reminds me too much of idiots on Yahoo who say "libtards" :lol:

4. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I'm convinced that people who don't like Ron Paul haven't taken the time to read about him or watch videos about him. He's been making sense for way too long now to keep going unnoticed. He's predicted pretty much everything that's come true with our economy. If only we had listened to him way back then we wouldn't be caught up in so many messes.

And regarding Obama, it seems to me that he just spouts whatever people want to hear. He did that to get elected, and now he's doing it to try and get reelected. Actually following through on what he spouts is another story.

5. $pvcxGhxztCasey

I don't give a fuck if this dude is a crazy Christian or whatever, if he legalizes pot, I'll vote for him. Yeah, I said it. Fuck what ya heard.

Give me my personal freedoms, then worry about the future of this nation :)

6. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

See that's something that sort of bothers me about the current political atmosphere. Everyone is dead set against the solutions proposed by the people who actually do care, because they believe (often mistakenly) that those solutions trample on their freedoms. But you know what? As Thomas Hobbes would tell you, giving up your freedom for the benefits of living in the state is what it's all about. And it's because I think in this day and age, we've forgotten that an equally important part of a healthy democracy, apart from freedom, is responsibility. Democracy may be about not being entirely beholden to the state, but it's also about being beholden to the state in some degree because in order to keep this thing together, we have to be there for each other. We're in this together, and society is so much more a product of interdependence than I think most people realize.

At some point later I'd like to share an anecdote that sort of brought this revelation upon me.

Edit: I think you guys will appreciate this, if you haven't seen it already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIcqb9hHQ3E&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  7. $pvcxGhxztCasey

god-bless-america-0.gif

8. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Was that to the main post or my link?

9. $pvcxGhxztCasey

everything you said. everything.

10. travz21

That video is pretty much what Ron Paul has been saying for many years. He just doesn't say it as emphatically.

11. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

here's my issue. He doesn't take charge. He doesn't get anything through. None of bush's ideas were really all that popular but he got them through somehow. Bush is a good for nothing but obama could definitely use his ability to get things done. Like bush he needs to say "oh you don't like this well fuck you, cause heres whats gonna happen if we don't pass this."

12. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Yeah, being magnanimous is a great quality, but it doesn't really cut the mustard when you're dealing with a bunch of careerist shit stains. You need to be an asshole sometimes.

13. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Lol the republicans are stubborn mother fuckers, he's gotta start whippin some ass

14. Benjamin

I feel ya Pidgeon. Obama is definitely not someone like FDR, lol.

15. ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

I'd take stubborn over bein a pussy. Hence why the italicized phrase won't happen.

16. travz21

Obama is going to propose another $300 billion be spent to create jobs. What is going on here? Is this country serious?

17. Benjamin

I think we should wait to see what his full blown plan is when he speaks tomorrow night before we start criticizing it.

18. Tim

If the focus of the plan is on improving infrastructure, then I'm behind it 100%.

19. travz21

Obama doesn't have "plans". He just throws money at stuff and hopes it goes away. Then he realizes we're $14 trillion in debt and tries to throw money at that to make it go away. He has absolutely no knowledge of economics. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

20. Tim

Investing in infrastructure is a very sound economic practice. Obviously I don't know the details yet, so I'll temper my expectations for now. However, I'm glad it's at least being considered.