Appleton Bans Smoking

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by ChooseYourPoison, Apr 6, 2005.

ChooseYourPoison

ChooseYourPoison nymphetamine

A bill to ban smoking in public places was recently passed in my city, go here to read about it.

Yes, let's all make fun of the name 'Appleton.' for a few seconds. Haha, apple.

But seriously, obviously this doesn't affect any of you unless you live here, but I was just wondering what you guys thought about this...and banning smoking in general. I, personally think its a great idea. I cannot stand the smell of cigaretts, I pass out if I'm in a smoke filled room for a long time. I've had to leave a lot of places because I couldn't stand the smell. ;)

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Lucky you. I wish my town would do that.

I can't stand the smell of cigarettes eaither, let alone when you can actually smell the smell it leaves on another person after they just had a cancer stick.

Their just down right nasty.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah, let's ban smoking because people don't like the smell of it. Go ahead and bring up how second hand smoke is the worst kind of smoke too, I don't care. This whole banning anything violates our "freedom" as Americans.

I've heard of a case where an employer laid off some employees because they smoked inside their own houses. Yeah, they worked for a health insurance company, and yeah it decreases their health insurance or something, but is this what we're coming to? Banning things and firing people over what we choose to do in our free-time?

Fuck that. I'll smoke wherever I goddamn please. I don't give a fuck if I get arrested or I'm fined.

You have no idea how much this pisses me off.

ChooseYourPoison

However, second hand smoke has killed millions of people worldwide, don't tell me that that isn't a violation as well.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Yeah, but it's still our right to smoke wherever we want. Maybe it is a good idea to ban it in public places, but when they get to the point of banning it in your own house or banning it all together, then there's something really fucked up going on.

It's like Prohibition.

ChooseYourPoison

I guess that's true. And hopefully it won't come to that point, as much as I'd like it to, but I do think smokers deserve some rights as well.

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

I agree with the banning of smoking in public places. If one wants to smoke, that's fine. But that's no reason to go ahead and smoke in places in which it will affect others.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I'm glad that they did that. Actually, I'm hoping they ban cigarettes everywhere. Alcohol is different. There is no second hand drinking; drinking affects the individual only.

ChooseYourPoison

That's not true. Many children are abused under the influence of alchohol consumed by their parents, and many people have died from drunk drivers.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

IMO, the only public place it should be allowed in are bars, where you'd expect smoking to take place.

Link

Link lolwut

In some ways, I wish all cities would do this. It does restrict a freedom, but it also protects other people from second hand smoke. If you want to smoke, do it in your house/car/whatever. If I was a smoker, I don't think I'd be too upset over this.

I can definantly see how someone like Casey would be angry, though. It does take away from the 'freedom' that the constitution is based on. Oh well, if it's killing people, then...

I dunno. I'm in the middle.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Ottawa, Ontario has this law, nobody can smoke in bars or anything. Like 50-75% of bars went under.

Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Bacon strips LPA Super VIP

A lot of places are modeling their smoking laws on Winnipeg's...a few years back, an initiative was started to ban smoking in places where minors are permitted. So far, it's worked great...far less people are being admitted to hospitals with respiratory problems, particularly young children. It's since become more or less a standard, and I've noticed that the city has become a lot more hospitable in public places...no more smoke stench everywhere. Sure, you can still smoke in bars, etc..., but not in places where it was once perfectly OK to smoke around children, like in shopping malls, etc... It's a great idea, IMO, and more places should adopt the idea. And Casey, if you don't like it, suck it up and step outside for a smoke... :rolleyes: It may be your right to smoke wherever you want (in your opinion, that is), but it isn't your right to force dozens of other people to smoke (no matter how sensitive they might be to smoke) just because you're in the same room as them and decide to light up.

DarkWolf17

DarkWolf17 Member

A lot of places around here has done the same thing. The only palces that allow smoking indoors are resturants that have a seprate sections for it and bars. everywhere else you have to take it outside.

At my college i'm going to, they have certain places outside that if are caught smoking you get a hefty fine.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

That's not true. Many children are abused under the influence of alchohol consumed by their parents, and many people have died from drunk drivers. [/b][/quote]
    True...but I guess I meant that you can't get alcohol in your system from somebody else drinking it.

I forgot to take those into account.

ChooseYourPoison

True...but I guess I meant that you can't get alcohol in your system from somebody else drinking it.

I forgot to take those into account. [/b][/quote]
    Not unless..no...nevermind :lol: But yes, I see your point.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

So if someone asthmatic like me walks in, breathes your smoke, and goes into an asthma attack, you wouldnt feel bad at all because the stupid choice you made hurt someone else?

Such an upstanding individual. :rolleyes:

$pvcxGhxztCasey

What is an asthmatic person doing anyone near a smoking area, first of all? Don't you usually, uhm, walk the other way or something, since you know full well that there is a 50/50 chance (probably greater) that there is some smoking going on?

I get that you shouldn't have to walk away if it's going on. You probably think we should. But it's common sense.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Sorry guys, I gotta agree with Casey. Yes smoking is horrible for your health, but I can't breathe when someone is smoking around me, so I know better than to go RIGHT INTO A SMOKING AREA.

Why should someone have to change because some stupid idiot who saw "smoking area" decided to sit there, knowing very well that some smoking might occur?

Think of it guys, get real for a second.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

People often smoke in non-permitted areas, and even if they are in a smoking area, the wind still brings it down to other people's windpipes unwantedly sometimes.

But that's besides the point. People should not be allowed to smoke in non-smoking areas, especially public places, because although they've made the choice to shorten their life by sucking on cancer sticks, it's a health hazard to healthy people.

I must say, smoking is the most ridiculous thing a person could do. I see no pros in it.