AltWire Reviews One More Light

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, May 13, 2017.

1. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Redeem all 4 albums to boost their sales.

Then here some options to do with the others:

1) Give Copies to Friends
    2) Go to your local record shop and sell them. You might only get in store credit but you should get enough credit to at least buy 1 new album
    3) Donate them to a place like Goodwill and you will make someone's day who might happen to be a Linkin Park fan looking through CDs at a goodwill. I know I have bought a lot of CDs through goodwill because I used to find a lot of good CDs I never owned physically and it was cheap enough for me to justify buying them where I normally wouldn't have. So to all those people that donate their CDs, God Bless them.
    4) Save them and use them as birthday gifts.

crazygolfer likes this.
  2. eunyoungg

eunyoungg Well-Known Member

Apparently OML is out in Slovakia?

3. hybrid1988

hybrid1988 Fever Daydream

Damn, sounds like a good way to inflate first week sales. Genius really. Nobody really buys music anymore combined with some core fans not being into the new sound might theoretically hurt sales.

However, longtime fans, music lovers, and casuals can't resist a night out for a show. If for nothing else, to hear old material. Sooo, slap an album to each ticket purchased and bam! You've got a bunch of album sales! Wow, that's clever. First LP album I didn't preorder/buy day 1 and had no plans on picking up and they still get me for 2 album purchases. Well played.

4. ciao_fiv

ciao_fiv We Are Still Humanz

I think some people just wanna hear a verse that uses over first grade vocabulary words ;)

Sasuke likes this.
  5. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

OK, that's just insulting. Yes, LP have put out songs with relatively simplistic lyrics, but have also created songs with depth and feeling far beyond what a first grader could come up with.

See ATS, LT, and THP as reference points to my main point. Each of those albums contain lyrics and metaphors which are truly thought-provoking and insightful, even if at times simplistic in how they are worded. But not as simple as what a first grader would write, I mean, come on.

6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

I've never found most mainstream rock bands to have super complex lyrics but it's also not needed. I'll hear a song with simple but beautiful lyrics over a mess of mumbo jumbo syllables. Hell, I find it much harder to write shit people can relate to then combine "the art of destruction symbolizes corruption in Armageddon, infectional, deceptional combustion" bullshit.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  7. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

:rofl: mate, that was a Fort Minor pun.

ciao_fiv and Deliveranze like this.
  8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

WHEW!! Love this track.:CUMULUS:

This might be the longest verse Shinoda has written, right? :think:

Sasuke and ciao_fiv like this.
  9. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Thank you @Nicholas , @Derek and @Blake for your feedback, it was helpful and appreciated.

Derek, if you'd like I can delete the original post now. Although it will make follow-up posts make little sense lol unless those are also deleted

Blake likes this.
  10. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I think that post being there is fine. Not sure if Mods agree.

Rise Against are doing the same thing with their new album. The only think is Rise Against publicly advertised it whereas I don't think Linkin Park did.

11. ciao_fiv

It was just a joke, lol. I don't mind "simple" lyrics if the message is strong/personal (which a lot of One More Light is). A lot of people have been complaining about the simplicity of the lyrics of this album, and I was simply poking fun. Plus I love Fort Minor!
    This guy gets it :shifty::rofl:

Xero-G, Sasuke and Deliveranze like this.
  12. Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

But this promo is just valid for US tickets or am I wrong? Damn, they should have done that here in germany since I am planning to gift the album and tickets to a few people. Still hoping for additional shows but this could have pushed me to drive to Berlin ^^

13. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

So far this is the only positive review I've seen.

NME gave it 1/5 lol. We could literally be seeing career suicide unfold.

*eats popcorn*

14. Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

Nah, that won't happen.

15. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Kinda expecting bad reviews, but oh well. I'll see when the album comes out.

16. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

OK, this makes a lot more sense now :)
    Sorry about the misunderstanding. Sometimes, the Internet can be a truly indecipherable place without context and further explanation.

And hey, for what it's worth, sometimes when lyrics in music are simpler, the better the song turns out to be. Then again, I do like overly wordy or technical lyrics in certain cases, like Mike's old-school rhymes from pre-HT era.

ciao_fiv likes this.
  17. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I already expected that most publications would flat out trash it, but it's far from the 'only positive review'. Yes it may be one of the higher scores, but even the '3/5' reviews still have some good things to say about the album. NME is the first to pretty much outright trash it.

I mean I knew going in to posting my review that some critics and some fans would be polar opposites to my opinion, and that's fine. I think it's a great record, and I stand by my review.

ciao_fiv likes this.
  18. ciao_fiv

I completely agree. Sarcasm is often lost in text ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I also agree that simpler lyrics can make great songs when they fit. The message is much more important than the technical phrasing :)

Xero-G likes this.