AAGGHH!

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Louis, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

He was just suggesting it since it pretty much is common sense.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Ok theres a couple of places he could have got your information. Anywhere you've posted it, whether it be myspace, deviantart, even a whois lookup on any website you have. Don't worry too much about it, they sound like they're about 11 years old.

And I don't know why you're bitching about Tomi, thats about the only way to get someone's IP address, and therefore contact their ISP if they keep harassing you.

TheFamousStik

TheFamousStik Well-Known Member

Whoa, ok, I just saw my name in here, and I can assure you that I, in no way, have anything to do with this. My AIM is thefamousstik. Also, you can see that I've been registered here since July of 2003, I'm a veteran, I have no beef. :)

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Ok, this is really interesting..."smeltingstck" was harassing me on AIM like over a year ago, they're still on my block list. That email [email protected] looks really familiar as well.

*EDIT* I think, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that this is one of the handful of people that has repeatedly spammed/trolled/hacked the LPU. One of my AIM contacts is (or at least was) friends with smeltingstck, if she gets online I can ask her about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2006
    Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

But he mentioned one of my friends, Claire. And knew where she worked and what area I lived in. He even knew about a recent law that's been passed here. And that I was a sophomore. It was really creepy.

elie

elie Well-Known Member

Do you have a Myspace or any other public profile? Like someone mentioned before, with a little research it's very easy to get that information.

Amanda

No I don't.

LinkinJunior

LinkinJunior LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

have you ever mentioned Claire on this site?

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Three times in "Got Something You Want To Let Out?" here.

That thread could be the answer to everything he knows about you, Amanda.

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

GET RID OF THE THREAD!

Sorry... that wasn't helpful.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

No need to get rid of the thread, it's just a case of people being more carefull. If people didn't use it as a blog or mention names of their friends / family or whatever, there wouldn't be any reason to even accuse that thread of being the cause of this issue.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Guys, this is ridiculous.

Let's stop arguing. This is serious. No matter how this person got Amanda's info, he was using it and it's disturbing everyone. We simply want to put a stop to this and prevent any further confrontations.

The guy evidently clicked this link. He tried to fool me in turn, especially since there are people who evidently have had prior contact with this person.

FamousStik, my apologies. The person's screen name resembled your username so I was worried that it might have been you. I am sorry if we have brought about any trouble.

As for everyone else, let's just band together and get this to stop.

Now, has anyone recently come into contact with this person when he was asking for these tracks besides Amanda, me, and tasta?

Amanda

But how did he know where she works?

[deleted]

I've never talked about any of that.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

Guys, stop posting your info, regardless of whether or not its known by some on this board (ie: Amanda, take that stuff off your last post. With all that info you just gave, I could probably track down your town, and with your IP, maybe even closer to where you live.)

If you post anything on the internet, know that it is never going to be entirely safe or secure. If this person has information about you that you've haven't given out, then obviously that narrows down the search quite a bit.

Quit the arguing and watch what you guys are saying. Anyone can be reading it.

Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Bacon strips LPA Super VIP

Amanda - as Neil said, with a bit of internet super-sleuthing, personal information is readily available. With a discarded ticket stub found outside Calgary airport, a buddy of mine managed to find the ticket holder's work address, phone number, home address, email address and a whole lot more dirt on this guy...in under a few hours...with just a laptop and a set of brains.

Google ftw.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

If that surprises you, then you might want to take another look in your profile.

You've made a few mistakes.
    - Made your full birthdate visible.
    - You posted a link to your LJ which has the following information:
    -- you're a sophomore in high school
    -- you're in colorguard
    -- you have a boyfriend named Casey
    -- [insert list of friends here, with links to their lj's]
    --- oh hey, alaina's journal is viewable to all
    ---- perhaps one of her posts mentions her job?
    ---- oh, and she also lists what city she lives in, specifically
    ----- and with that information, you could easily figure out all the high schools in that area and eventually figure out which one you're at, because you're in colorguard, so you name should be listed somewhere.

No, I'm not a stalker, but I know where to look when I need my information. ;)

Feel free to tell me to stop acting like I know it all, but anybody could have found the above information easily, I didn't use any uber hacking powers of mine to figure it out.

Oh, yeah. I don't think of myself as high and mighty -- just helpful. ^_^

[edit] I just realized that it was Claire you were talking about, not Alaina, but my point still stands about how he found your city. It's possible that someone mentioned Alaina's job. [ now, why the hell did I think it was Alaina? Oo ]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
    Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Okay, guys. This is getting fucking ridiculous.

Tomi, you've made your point. Amanda made a mistake. It happens to a lot of people. Let's just cut it out.

This situation involved several people from the LPA. The fact that he took the time to do it is absolutely disgusting and we want him off our site.

And by the way, the fact that the profiles were viewable by guests...that's not Amanda's fault. Sure, she put alot of info, but shouldn't the members who've been here long enough to trust only be able to view it? She's not the only one to blame in this situation.

The fact that you guys decided to make the board private only a while after this incident came up disappoints me. The guy had enough time on his hands to find her info and use it against her.

All I'm saying is that it's not all her fault. Let's think before we point fingers, shall we?

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Yeah, she made a mistake, as did the other people, but 99% of other people won't slam a door in your face when you offer help.

Just because the profiles just got disabled for guests, doesn't mean that someone could sign up just to see the profiles. It's really pretty simple, takes only 2 minutes. If you're really determined, you can dig up a lot of information on someone.

I'm not pointing figures at anyone, I'm just showing her how he knew how she was a sophomore, where she lived, and about Claire.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
    Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

I think this topic needs to be discussed though cause people don't take enough steps to insure their privacy right here. I don't mind giving my e-mail, my name, my birth date and such cause I know how to strike back - but when you don't, keep your stuff private!

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

I think people need to realize that the internet is NOT private no matter how hard people try to make it that way. Things get out whether you want them to or not and people can find anything, anywhere as long as they have a way. You can't honestly think that this happened just because the profiles weren't restricted to members only.

This happened to a friend of mine before on the LPU but it was just someone screwing with her because she made so much of her life viewable online. It's just proof that some things shouldn't be put on the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.