A Thousand Suns Album Cover

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asua

Asua Well-Known Member

I still don't like the cover art.
    I think most of you guys are forcing yourself to like it or to get used to it.
    From someone who comes from a fine arts background, this is a lazy attempt.

2. ALivingGrudge

ALivingGrudge We are saints made of plaster.

Hate to break it to you, but my VERY first thought when I saw the artwork was "Holy crap it's way better than I expected."

If that means I don't know much about graphic design, then fine by me. I guess ignorance is bliss in this case.

3. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I like it. I said in another thread what people would think if the album art was just an image, like the single art for The Catalyst. The only think I don't like is the color scheme, black and white. It's the same as Minutes to Midnight. I also wish they would have watermarked "Linkin Park: A Thousand Suns" in there somewhere, or have some sort of traditional LP logo in with the art so that people know it's LP. Oh well, I'm sure it means something, and hopefully Mike explains it soon.

Also, if you stare at it, it makes you feel like you're kind of falling endlessly.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  4. Asua

Asua Well-Known Member

I seriously don't know what you were expecting if you thought that. However 'Holy Crap' wasn't one of them and I can speak for many who thought it was just pure crap.
    I mean, look at the NIN Year Zero stuff, now THAT is a Holy Crap moment.
    Then again you're right, ignorance is bliss if you think otherwise :)

5. ALivingGrudge

I just love how unique it is. I can't think of many covers that are as unique as this one. While it may not be visually appealing to most of you, it's different for sure.

I mean, it'll certainly stand out on the CD racks. And I have a thing for album covers that don't have any words on them. As I've said previously, it proves that the album is about the music more than who made it. Almost all the albums on my iTunes that have a cover without any words on it are some of my favorites. It's nice to know Linkin Park's head is in the right place.

6. Asua

Asua Well-Known Member

Maybe say that AFTER listening to the entire album ;)

7. maclieberman

maclieberman Just caught in the undertow..

Ok i KNEW this was going to happen...i have grown onto the album cover....i just still want an explanation from Mike as to what the hell it is! lol

8. ALivingGrudge

Haha, I wasn't saying that because the cover has no words on it the music will be good. I'm just saying every OTHER album like that on my iTunes is full of win, mostly because it means that the musicians are all about the music their making, which suggests that it will probably be pretty good.

So, even if the album sucks, at least I know that the band created something honest.

9. BreakingTheHabit

BreakingTheHabit Banned

Who said cover art has to be detailed? there's no rules for cover art. I've seen cover art that's much more simple than this. I have to be honest though...I don't like the black and white idea.

10. Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

I haven't followed this pixel game much and just stumbled across the album cover today. And I like it. :)

11. Jalie

Jalie Antebellum Cecity

It's always the subjective "connection" to the given piece anyway, so it would be quiet a waste of time for everyone to add that this or that is his/her personal impression.

I did not say and I did not mean that this cover is meaningless. I do absolutely not intend to imagine myself as an authority who decides about the meaning of an art piece. Because I simply can't. But I had and I have reason to say that this picture is not that special/original, because pictures of bursting suns are quiet common (if the rest of the album art indicates that it's not a teddy, which is likely). The music LP made back then (including Papercut) might have been simple, but it was unique in its combination, it stood out. As well as the art they can do. That's why I'm disappointed. Their technique definitely has the potential to impress people on a whole different level than what they delivered now. If Mike decides to display a red-painted toilet in his next exhibition, then I won't say that it's meaningless, but I'll be disappointed, because someone with his skills could have thought of something more original/diverse. I'm not disappointed because of the simplicity, I just see a red-painted toilet on the cover that anybody could have put there. (Hey, that WOULD actually be original ^^) That was not the case when HT came out.

Regarding the intention topic:Intention might be part of the creative process, but the product is a whole new (subjective) creation for everyone and able to bury and blur any form of intention. The artist has just one of an infinite number of perspectives regarding his work, which means that he has to interpret the final product as well. And in art, perspectives are never “right” or able to define the final product. That’s why the artist’s “decision” isn’t more valid than my interpretation.
    This is at least what literary theorists try to convince us of and it’s pretty cool. More freedom for the recipient, less almightiness for the artist. But we are used to authorities and to teleological ways of life that feed us some sense. So if LP says that this is no sun but a pie, most people are probably going to adapt that thought. But seriously, I think LP has thought all that well through, so that we will be able to agree with their interpretation of their own final product. ^^

Gotta sleep, good night guys!

12. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I didn't like it first, but it grow on me, i kinda like it now. But the theme(Black and White) is abit boring. They already had that with MTM

13. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Thumbs down. This is hands-down the biggest let-down the band has provided. Mind you, I'm not making this statement in an utterly serious and bigoted manner

More than likely, I will appreciate the message and reasoning for this cover art, but this is very underwhelming.

When you have two incredibly talented artists (Mike, Joe) involved in the band, there's a high expectation. This is a waste of paper.

On a positive note however, there will probably be additional artwork in the album's packaging.

14. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Oh ho! Honestly, this is probably one of the worst album covers I've ever seen. What the hell is this! Very very disappointed.

15. Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

I do not really like the album art from my perspective, its too simple and not too striking. Simplicity is good, but it looks very amateur. But from the glance of an ordinary person it will stand out in a retail store against other albums. And well, the band has their reasons for being this ballsy to use this album cover. Aesthetically its not very pleasing to me unless if it was inverted. But its the music that counts.

16. BreakingTheHabit

BreakingTheHabit Banned

LP just change the color and you'll be ok :D

17. L₳ζ₳Я

L₳ζ₳Я The Evil Speculator

I am having troubles calling this 'artwork', seriously. Artwork. There we go.

Disappointing.

18. ALivingGrudge

I'm still a little shocked about how much people hate it. Not that you guys are wrong; Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I just love it, and wasn't expecting this at all.

19. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

It's funny to see people say they would prefer the image inverted, as obviously white on black would look "cooler" aesthetically, but there's a reason they went for this colour scheme and it's nice to know LP aren't sacrificing the meaning behind the work to please those people who want something to look "cool".

20. BreakingTheHabit

BreakingTheHabit Banned

lol hey bro I used to be just like you and they banned me. I just gave my opinions and was always respectful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.